- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
3D electromagnetic design and electrical characteristics analysis of a 10-MW-class high-temperature superconducting synchronous generator for wind power
- Kim, J.H. (Jeju National University) ;
- Park, S.I. (Jeju National University) ;
- Le, T.D. (Jeju National University) ;
- Kim, H.M. (Jeju National University)
- Received : 2014.04.29
- Accepted : 2013.06.26
- Published : 2014.06.30
In this paper, the general electromagnetic design process of a 10-MW-class high-temperature superconducting (HTS) synchronous generator that is intended to be utilized for large scale offshore wind generator is discussed. This paper presents three-dimensional (3D) electromagnetic design proposal and electrical characteristic analysis results of a 10-MW-class HTS synchronous generator for wind power. For more detailed design by reducing the errors of a two-dimensional (2D) design owing to leakage flux in air-gap, we redesign and analyze the 2D conceptual electromagnetic design model of the HTS synchronous generator using 3D finite element analysis (FEA) software. Then electrical characteristics which include the no-load and full-load voltage of generator, harmonic contents of these two load conditions, voltage regulation and losses of generator are analyzed by commercial 3D FEA software.
Supported by : Jeju National University
- Ji hyung Kim, "3D electromagnetic design and power analysis of a 10-MW-class high-temperature superconducting synchronous -generator for wind power," Master of science thesis, Faculty of applied energy system graduate school, jeju national university, Feb. 2014.
- Xibo Yuan, Yongdong Li, Jianyun Chai, "A transformerless modular permanent magnet wind generator system with minimum generator coils," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2010 Twenty-Fifth Annual IEEE, pp. 2104-2110, Feb.2010.
- Ji Hyung Kim, Sa Il Park, Thanh Dung Le, Hyun Chul Jo, Young-Sik Jo, Yoon Hyuck Choi, Haigun Lee, Ho Min Kim, "Analysis of the mechanical characteristics of a 17-MW-class high temperature superconducting synchronous motor," InternationalConference on Superconductivity and Magnetism, p. 533, Antalya, 2014.
V Selvamanickam, Y Yao, Y Chen, T Shi, Y Liu, N D Khatri, J Liu, C Lei, E Galstyan and G Majkic, "The low-temperature, high-magnetic-field critical current characteristics of Zr-added (Gd,Y)/
$Ba_2Cu_3O_x$superconducting tapes," Supercond. Sci. Technol., vol. 25, no. 12, p. 125013, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-2048/25/12/125013
- Rouhollah Shafaie and Mohsen Kalantar, "Design of a 10-MW-class wind turbine HTS synchronous generator with optimized field winding," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 23, no. 4, p. 5202307, Aug. 2014.
- Hyung-Wook Kim, Young-Sik Jo, Jin-Hong Joo, Sail Park, Ho Min Kim and Jin Hur, " Study of hybrid-type superconducting field coil for superconducting rotating machines," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 24, no. 3, p. 5201204, Jun. 2014.
- M.Frank, J.Frauenhofer, P.van Hasselt, W.Nick, H.-W.Neumueller, and G. Nerowski, "Long-term operational experience with first siemens 400 KW HTS machine in diverse configurations," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond.,vol.13, no.2, pp. 2120-2123, Jun. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2003.813013
S. I. Park, J. H. Kim, T. D. Le, and H. M. Kim, "Comparison of superconducting generator with 2G HTS and
$MgB_2$wires," Progress in Superconductivity and Cryogenics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 48-52, Dec. 2013.
- Determining the Operating Current of No-Insulation Field Coils in HTS Generators vol.51, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2015.2435800
- Characteristic Analysis of Various Structural Shapes of Superconducting Field Coils vol.25, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2014.2367040
- Thermal Design of a Cryogenics Cooling System for a 10 MW-Class High-Temperature Superconducting Rotating Machine vol.25, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2015.2395721
- Status of the technology development of large scale HTS generators for wind turbine vol.17, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9714/psac.2015.17.2.018