- Volume 5 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Somatosensory Stimulation of the Hands on the Hand Functions and Visuomotor Coordination Function of Children with Developmental Disabilities
Kong, Nam Ho;Lee, Jun Cheol;Lee, Han Ki
- 투고 : 2013.12.20
- 심사 : 2014.02.26
- 발행 : 2014.05.30
In the present study, to examine the effects of somatosensory stimulation of the hands on the hand functions and visuomotor coordination of children with developmental disabilities, a total of 24 sessions of experiments were conducted with three children with developmental disabilities for 60 minutes per session, three sessions per week from January 7, 2013 to March 11, 2013. To examine the effects of somatosensory stimulation of the hands on grasping and visuomotor coordination which are sub-areas of PDMS-2, the A-B study design was used which is a single case study method out of single-subject experimental research designs. Somatosensory stimulation of the hands was shown to be effective in improving the hand functions of children with developmental disabilities. Somatosensory stimulation of the hands showed positive effects on the raw scores and standardized scores of grasping and visuomotor coordination in all the three subject children. Visuomotor coordination functions showed higher scores in post-hoc tests in all three children. In particular, ring throws showed high scores at right
Hand;Somatosensory Stimulation;Developmental Disabilities;Visuomotor Coordination
- Page SJ, Elovic E, Levine P, et al. Modified constraint-induced therapy and botulinum toxin A: a promising combination. American Journal of Physical Medicine Rehabilitation 2003; 82(1), 76-80. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-200301000-00014
- Jeong JK & Oh MH. The effects of ring program on hand and visual function of children with cerebral palsy. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology 2001; 8(1): 127-39.
- Jeong WM. Theory and application of occupational therapy(edition 2). Seoul: Jeongdam Media 2002.
- Soon HH. The effects of musical activity on upper limbs-motor and activity ability of cerebral palsied children. Master's Thesis. Sookmyoung Women University 2000.
- Choi UJ & Lee SH. The Effects of a Dalcroze Music Education Program on the Upper Limb Motor Ability of Students with Cerebral Palsy. The Journal of Total Arts and Music 2008; 2(2): 57-81.
- Lee UH & Lee SH. (The) Effect of collage program on the visual-perception development of children with cerebral palsy. The Educational Journal for P hysical and Multiple Disabilities 2003; 42: 199-214.
- Kim MS. Effects of art activities on the finemotor skills and visual perception of children with mild mental retardation. Master's Thesis. Inje University 2002.
- Bundy AC, Lane SJ & Murray EA. Sensory integration : A Jean Ayre's Theory Revisited In : Sensory integration Theory and practice(2nd ed.), edited by Bundy, A. C., Lane, S. J., Murray, E. A., Philadelphia: F. A. Davis 2002; 3-33.
- Haron M & Henderson A. Active and passive touch in developmentally dyspraxic and normal boys. Occupational Therapy Journal of Research 1985; 5: 101-112. https://doi.org/10.1177/153944928500500202
- Tong KY, Mak AF. Development of computerbased environment for simulating the voluntary upper-limb movements of persons with disability. Medicine biology engineer computer 2001; 39(4): 414-421. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02345362
- Hanna SE, Law MC, Rosenaum PL, et al. Development of hand function among children with cerebral palsy: Growth curve analysis for ages 16 to 70 months. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2003; 45(7): 448-455.
- Utley A & Astill SL. Developmental sequences of two-handed catching: How do childrenwith and without developmental coordination disorder difference. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice 2007; 23(2): 65-82. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593980701211838
- Pitcher TM, Piek JP, Hay DA. Fine and gross motor ability in males with ADHD. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2003; 45(8): 525-35.
- Jeong DY & Kong NH. The effects of the postural movement normalization program on the gross motor abilities and occulomotor abilities of children with cerebral palsy. The Educational Journal for Physical and Multiple Disabilities 2007; 50(1): 115-142.
- Park KH. Comparison of the theory of mind and executive function between children with mental Retardation and Autistic Children. Korean Special E ducation Association for Curriculum and Instruction 2011;14(1):21-38.
- Jeong JK & Beak JY. The effects of collage activity on upper extremity of the children with cerebral palsy. Journal of Special Education & Rehabitation Science 2004; 43(1): 39-53.
- Kong NH. Lee HK. The effecte of the eye movement program through postural control on the occulomotor ability and visual motor coordination function of children with cerebral palsy. J. of Korean Health & Fundamental Medical Science 2012; 5(1): 9-16.
- Kim KM, Choi JS, Lee MH. Sensory Integration Therapy Camp(Treatment Course) Report. The journal of Korean academy of sensory integration 2004; 2(1): 1-7.
- Jeong, DY & Han, GI. Training of children with developmental disabilities on social skills.Yangseowon Publishing Co. 2007.
- Kim EJ. The effects of active somatosensory exploration activity on hand function an hand use of the Children with developmental disabilities. Master's Thesis. Changwon University 2013.
- Sices L. Feudtner C. McLaughlin J. How do primary care physicians manage children with possible developmental delays? A national survey with an experimental design. Pediatrics 2004; 113(2): 274-82. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.113.2.274
- Kim JM, Kug EJ. Kwon MJ. et al. Neuroscience. Fundamentals for rehabiliation. Jungdam media co 2009.
- Goldstein EB. Sensation and Perception(7td ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning 2007.
- Case-Smith J. Standards for continuing competence. The American journal of occupational therapy : official publication of the American Occupational Therapy Association 2005; 59(6): 661-62. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.59.6.661
- Rusk HA, Rehabilitation Medicine. Saint Louis: C. V. Mosby Co 1997.
- Kim SY. The effects of modified constraintreduced intervention focused on functional activity on hand function and use for infants with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. Master's Thesis. Ewha Women University 2007.