- Volume 27 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Association between Genetic Polymorphism in the Swine Leukocyte Antigen-DRA Gene and Piglet Diarrhea in Three Chinese Pig Breeds
- Yang, Q.L. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Gansu Agricultural University) ;
- Zhao, S.G. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Gansu Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, D.W. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Gansu Agricultural University) ;
- Feng, Y. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Gansu Agricultural University) ;
- Jiang, T.T. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Gansu Agricultural University) ;
- Huang, X.Y. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Gansu Agricultural University) ;
- Gun, S.B. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Gansu Agricultural University)
- Received : 2013.09.12
- Accepted : 2014.03.27
- Published : 2014.09.01
The swine leukocyte antigen (SLA)-DRA locus is noteworthy among other SLA class II loci for its limited variation and has not been investigated in depth. This study was investigated to detect polymorphisms of four exons of SLA-DRA gene and its association with piglet diarrhea in Landrace, Large White and Duroc pigs. No polymorphisms were detected in exon 3, while 2 SNPs (c.178G>A and c.211T>C), 2 SNPs (c.3093A>C and c.3104C>T) and 5 SNPs (c.4167A>G, c.4184A>G, c.4194A>G, c.4246A>G and c.4293G>A) were detected in exon 1, exon 2 and exon 4 respectively, and 1 SNP (c.4081T>C) in intron 3. Statistical results showed that genotype had significant effect on piglet diarrhea, individuals with genotype BC had a higher diarrhea score when compared with the genotypes AA, AB, AC and CC. Futhermore, genotype AC had a higher diarrhea score than the genotype CC in exon 1 (p<0.05); diarrhea scores of genotype AA and BB were higher than those of genotypes AC and CC in exon 2 (p<0.05); individuals with genotype AA had a higher diarrhea score than individuals with genotype AB and BB in exon 4 (p<0.05). Fourteen common haplotypes were founded by haplotype constructing of all SNPs in the three exons, its association with piglet diarrhea appeared that Hap2, 5, 8, 10, and 14 may be the susceptible haplotypes and Hap9 may be the resistant haplotype to piglet diarrhea. The genetic variations identified of the SLA-DRA gene may potentially be functional mutations related to piglet diarrhea.
Swine Leukocyte Antigen;DRA Gene;Association;Genetic Polymorphism;Haplotype;Piglet Diarrhea
- Zhou, H. and J. G. H. Hickford. 2008. Clonal polymerase chain reaction-single-strand conformational polymorphism analysis: An effective approach for identifying cloned sequences. Anal. Biochem. 378:111-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ab.2008.04.005
- SAS. 1999. SAS User's Guide: Statistics (Version 8.01 Ed.). SAS Institute. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shinkai, H., A. Arakawa, M. Tanaka-Matsuda, H. Ide-Okumura, K. Terada, M. Chikyu, T. Kawarasaki, A. Ando, and H. Uenishi. 2012. Genetic variability in swine leukocyte antigen class II and Toll-like receptors affects immune responses to vaccination for bacterial infections in pigs. Comp. Immunol. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 35:523-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cimid.2012.05.003
- Sommer, S. 2005. The importance of immune gene variability (MHC) in evolutionary ecology and conservation. Front. Zool. 2:16. https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-9994-2-16
- Stephens, M. and P. Donnelly. 2003. A comparison of Bayesian methods for haplotype reconstruction from population genotype data. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 73:1162-1169. https://doi.org/10.1086/379378
- Tamura, K., D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar. 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731-2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Vaiman, D., D. Mecier, K. Moazami-Goudarzi, A. Eggen, R. Ciampolini, A. Lepingle, R. Velmala, J. Kaukinen, S. L. Varvio, and P. Martin. 1994. A set of 99 cattle microsatellites: characterization, synteny mapping, and polymorphism. Mamm. Genome 5:288-297. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00389543
- Wang, Z. and J. Moult. 2001. SNPs, proteins structer, and disease. Hum. Mutat. 17:263-270. https://doi.org/10.1002/humu.22
- Yang, Q. L., J. J. Kong, S. G. Zhao, L. X. Liu, D. W. Wang, F. S. Li, T. T. Jiang, and Y. Feng. 2012. Polymorphism of SLA-DRA gene exon 2 and its correlation with piglet diarrhea. Acta Vet. Zootech. Sin. 43:1020-1027. [in Chinese, English abstract]
- Yang, Q. L., J. J. Kong, D. W. Wang, S. G. Zhao, and S. B. Gun. 2013. Swine leukocyte antigen-DQA gene variation and its association with piglet diarrhea in Large White, Landrace and Duroc. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26:1065-1071. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13067
- Luetkemeier, E. S., R. S. Malhi, J. E. Beever, and L. B. Schook. 2009. Diversification of porcine MHC class II genes: evidence for selective advantage. Immunogenetics 61:119-129. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00251-008-0348-5
- Lunney, J. K., C. S. Ho, M. Wysocki, and D. M. Smith. 2009. Molecular genetics of the swine major histocompatibility complex, the SLA complex. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 33:362-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2008.07.002
- Mallard, B. A., B. N. Wilkie, and B. W. Kennedy. 1989. Genetic and other effects on antibody and cell mediated immune response in swine leucocyte antigen (SLA)-defined miniature pigs. Anim. Genet. 20:167-178.
- Molina, R. M., S. H. Cha, W. Chittick, S. Lawson, M. P. Murtaugh, E. A. Nelson, J. Christopher-Hennings, K. J. Yoon, R. Evans, R. R. R. Rowland, and J. J. Zimmerman. 2008. Immune response against porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus during acute and chronic infection. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 126:283-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2008.08.002
- Morris, R. S., P. R. Davies, and D. E. Lawton. 2002. Evolution of diseases in the world's pig industry. In: 17th International Pig Veterinary Society Congress Proceedings, Ames, IA, USA. pp. 1-10.
- Patch, J. R., L. E. Pedersen, F. N. Toka, M. Moraes, M. J. Grubman, M. Nielsen, G. Jungersen, B. Soren, and W. T. Golde. 2011. Induction of foot-and-mouth disease virus-specific cytotoxic T cell killing by vaccination. Clin. Vaccine Immunol. 18:280-288. https://doi.org/10.1128/CVI.00417-10
- Renard, C. and M. Vaiman. 1989. Possible relationships between SLA and porcine reproduction. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 29:569-576. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19890506
- Sachs, D. H., S. Germana, M. Ei-Gamil, K. Gustafsson, F. Hirsch, and K. Pratt. 1988. Class II genes of miniature swine. Immunogeneties 28:22-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00372525
- Sambrook, J. and D. W. Russell. 2001. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual 3rd ed. Cold Spring Harbor: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
- Chen, F. X., J. Xie, Y. Zhou, N. L. Li, and K. Y. Chou. 2004. Novel SLA-DR alleles of three Chinese pig strains and the related function in human T cell response. Cell. Mol. Immunol. 1:212-218.
- Essler, S. E., W. Ertl, J. Deutsch, B. C. Ruetgen, S. Groiss, M. Stadler, B. Wysoudil, W. Gerner, C. S. Ho, and A. Saalmueller. 2013. Molecular characterization of swine leukocyte antigen gene diversity in purebred Pietrain pigs. Anim. Genet. 44:202-205. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2012.02375.x
- Hedrick, P. W. and T. J. Kim. 2000. Genetics of complex polymorphisms: Parasites and maintenance of MHC variation. In: Evolutionary Genetics from Molecules to Morphology (Eds. R. S. Singh and C. B. Krimbas). Cambridge, NY, USA. pp. 204-234.
- Ho, C. S., J. K. Lunney, A. Ando, C. Rogel-Gaillard, J. H. Lee, L. B. Schook, and D. M. Smith. 2009. Nomenclature for factors of the SLA system, update 2008. Tissue Antigens 73:307-315. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-0039.2009.01213.x
- Ho, C. S., G. W. Martens, M. S. Amoss Jr, L. N. Gomez-Raya, C. W. Beattie, and D. M. Smith. 2010a. The SLA alleles and haplotypes present in Sinclair and Hanford swine. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 34:250-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2009.09.006
- Ho, C. S., J. K. Lunney, J. H. Lee, M. H. Franzo-Romain, G. W. Martens, R. R. Rowland, and D. M. Smith. 2010b. Molecular characterization of swine leucocyte antigen class II genes in outbred pig populations. Anim. Genet. 41:428-432.
- Hudson, R. R. 2001. Linkage Disequilibrium and Recombination. In: Handbook of Statistical Genetics. In: Handbook of Statistical Genetics (Eds. D. J. Balding, M. Bishop, and C. Cannings). John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., Chichester, UK. pp. 309-324.
- Kelly, D. J., J. J. O'Brien, and K. J. McCracken. 1990. Effect of creep feeding on the incidence, duration and severity of post-weaning diarrhea in pigs. Res. Vet. Sci. 49:223-228.
- Lewis, C. R., T. Ait-Ali, M. Clapperton, A. L. Archibald, and S. Bishop. 2007. Genetic perspectives on host responses to porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome (PRRS). Viral Immunol. 20:343-358. https://doi.org/10.1089/vim.2007.0024
- Beuzen, N. D., M. J. Stear, and K. C. Chang. 2000. Molecular markers and their use in animal breeding. Vet. J. 160:42-52. https://doi.org/10.1053/tvjl.2000.0468
- Breast Cancer Association Consortium. 2006. Commonly studied single-nucleotide polymorphisms and breast cancer: Results from the breast cancer association consortium. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 98:1382-1396. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djj374
- Botstein, D., R. L. White, M. Skolnick, and R. W. Davis. 1980. Construction of a genetic linkage map in man using restriction fragment length polymorphisms. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 32:314-331.
- Byun, S. O., Q. Fang, H. Zhou, and J. G. H. Hickford. 2009. An effective method for silver-staining DNA in large numbers of polyacrylamide gels. Anal. Biochem. 385:174-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ab.2008.10.024
- Chardon, P., C. Renard, and M. Vaiman. 1999. The major histocompatibility complex in swine. Immunol. Rev. 167:179-192. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-065X.1999.tb01391.x
- Chardon, P., C. Renard, C. R. Gaillard, and M. Vaiman. 2000. The porcine major histocompatibility complex and related paralogous regions: A review. Genet. Sel. Evol. 32:109-128. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-32-2-109
- gene and diarrhoea in three Chinese native piglets vol.42, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/iji.12186
- gene variation on diarrhea in Large White, Landrace, and Duroc piglets vol.47, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/age.12489
- Effect of Genetic Diversity in Swine Leukocyte Antigen-DRA Gene on Piglet Diarrhea vol.7, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/genes7070036
- Analysis of swine leukocyte antigen class I gene profiles and porcine endogenous retrovirus viremia level in a transgenic porcine herd inbred for xenotransplantation research vol.19, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2018.19.3.384