- Volume 27 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) Dosage Based on Body Weight Enhances Ovulatory Responses and Subsequent Embryo Production in Goats
- Rahman, M.R. (Animal Biotechnology-Embryo Laboratory (ABEL), Institute of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) ;
- Rahman, M.M. (Animal Biotechnology-Embryo Laboratory (ABEL), Institute of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) ;
- Khadijah, W.E. Wan (Animal Biotechnology-Embryo Laboratory (ABEL), Institute of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) ;
- Abdullah, R.B. (Animal Biotechnology-Embryo Laboratory (ABEL), Institute of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya)
- Received : 2013.12.03
- Accepted : 2014.04.14
- Published : 2014.09.01
An experiment was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of porcine follicle stimulating hormone (pFSH) dosage based on body weight (BW) on ovarian responses of crossbred does. Thirty donor does were divided into 3 groups getting pFSH dosages of 3, 5, and 8 mg pFSH per kg BW, respectively, and were named as pFSH-3, pFSH-5 and pFSH-8, respectively. Estrus was synchronized by inserting a controlled internal drug release (CIDR) device and a single injection of prostaglandin
Superovulation;pFSH Dosage;Body Weight;Goat
- Conley, H. H. and H. W. Hawk. 1970. Intensification by intrauterine devices of sperm loss from the sheep uterus. Biol. Reprod. 2:401-407. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod2.3.401
- D'Occhio, M. J., D. Jillella, and B. R. Lindsey. 1999. Factors that influence follicle recruitment, growth and ovulation during ovarian superstimulation in heifers: opportunities to increase ovulation rate and embryo recovery by delaying the exposure of follicles to LH. Theriogenology 51:9-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(98)00228-3
- Fonseca, J. F., J. H. Bruschi, I. C. C. Santos, J. H. M. Viana, and A. C. M. Magalhaes. 2005. Induction of oestrus in non-lactating dairy goats with different oestrous synchrony protocols. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 85:117-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2004.03.005
- Goel, A. K. and K. P. Agrawal. 2005. Ovulatory response and embryo yield in Jakhrana goats following treatments with PMSG and FSH. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 37:549-558. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-005-4223-1
- Gonzalez-Bulnes, A., J. Santiago-Moreno, M. J. Cocero, and A. Lopez-Sebastian. 2000. Effects of FSH commercial preparation and follicular status on follicular growth and superovulatory response in Spanish Merino ewes. Theriogenology 54:1055-1064. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(00)00414-3
- Ali, M. S., M. A. M. Y. Khandoker, M. A. Afroz, and A. K. F. H. Bhuiyan. 2012. Ovarian response to different dose levels of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) in different genotypes of Bangladeshi cattle. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 25:52-58. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11167
- Armstrong, D. T., A. P. Pfitzner, G. M. Warnes, and R. F. Seamark. 1983. Superovulation treatments and embryo transfer in Angora goats. J. Reprod. Fertil. 67:403-410. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0670403
- Baldassarre, H., B. Wang, N. Kafidi, M. Gauthier, N. Neveu, J. Lapointe, L. Sneek, M. Leduc, F. Duguay, J. F. Zhou, A. Lazaris, and C. N. Karatzas. 2003. Production of transgenic goats by pronuclear microinjection of in vitro produced zygotes derived from oocytes recovered by laparoscopy. Theriogenology 59:831-839. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(02)01128-7
- Baldassarre, H. and C. N. Karatzas. 2004. Advanced assisted reproduction technologies (ART) in goats. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 82-83:255-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2004.04.027
- Bindon, B. M., L. R. Piper, L. P. Cahill, M. A. Driancourt, and T. Oshea. 1986. Genetic and hormonal factors affecting superovulation. Theriogenology 25:53-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(86)90183-4
- Cameron, A. W. N., K. M. Battye, and A. O. Trounson. 1988. Time of ovulation in goats (Capra hircus) induced to superovulate with PMSG. J. Reprod. Fertil. 83:747-752. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0830747
- Abdullah, R. B., N. Y. Shariffah, M. R. Rahman, and W. E. Wan Khadijah. 2012. Ovarian responses after superovulation with different dosages of oFSH in goats. Mal. J. Anim. Sci. 15:21-25.
- Abecia, J., C. Sosa, F. Forcada, and A. Meikle. 2006. The effect of under nutrition on the establishment of pregnancy in the ewe. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 46:367-378. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:2006018
- Chang, Z., X. Fan, M. Luo, Z. Wu, and J. Tan. 2006. Factors affecting superovulation and embryo transfer in Boer goats. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 19:341-346. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.341
- Lehloenya, K. C. and J. P. C. Greyling. 2009. Effect of route of superovulatory gonadotrophin administration on the embryo recovery rate of Boer goat does. Small Rumin. Res. 87:39-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2009.10.001
- Lehloenya, K. C. and J. P. C. Greyling. 2010. The ovarian response and embryo recovery rate in Boer goat does following different superovulation protocols, during the breeding season. Small Rumin. Res. 88:38-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2009.11.007
- Lehloenya, K. C. 2013. Preliminary results evaluating a simplified superovulation protocol in Boer goats. Small Rumin. Res. 113:171-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2013.03.017
- Mani, A. U., W. A. C. Mckelvey, and E. D. Watson. 1992. The effects of low level of feeding on response to synchronization of oestrus, ovulation rate and embryo loss in goats. Theriogenology 38:1013-1022. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(92)90115-8
- Menchaca, A., M. Vilarino, M. Crispo, A. Pinczak, and E. Rubianes. 2007. Day 0 Protocol: Superstimulatory treatment initiated in the absence of a large follicle improves ovarian response and embryo yield in goats. Theriogenology 68:1111-1117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2007.07.020
- Moore, N. W. 1974. Multiple ovulation and ovum transfer in the goat. Proc. Aust. Anim. Prod. 10:246-249.
- Murphy, B. D., R. J. Mapletoft, J. Manns, and W. D. Humphrey. 1984. Variability in gonadotrophin preparations as a factor in the superovulatory response. Theriogenology 21:117-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(84)90311-X
- Noel, B., J. L. Bister, B. Pierquin, and R. Paquay. 1994. Effects of FGA and PMSG on follicular growth and LH secretion in Suffolk ewes. Theriogenology 41:719-727. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(94)90181-H
- Nowshari, M. A., J. F. Beckers, and W. Holtz. 1995. Superovulation of goats with purified pFSH supplemented with defined amounts of pLH. Theriogenology 43:797-802. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(95)00022-Z
- Gonzalez-Bulnes, A., D. T. Baird, B. K. Campbell, M. J. Cocero, R. M. Garcia-Garcia, E. K. Inskeep, A. Lopez-Sebastian, A. S. Mcneilly, J. Santiago-Moreno, C. J. H. Souza, and A. Veiga-Lopez. 2004. Multiple factors affecting efficiency of multiple ovulation and embryo transfer in sheep and goats. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 16:421-435. https://doi.org/10.1071/RD04033
- Greve, T., H. Callesen, P. Hyttel, R. Hoier, and R. Assey. 1995. The effects of exogenous gonadotropins on oocyte and embryo quality in cattle. Theriogenology 43:41-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(94)00013-K
- Holtz, W. 2005. Recent developments in assisted reproduction in goats. Small Rumin. Res. 60:95-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.06.032
- Kendall, N. R., A. Gonzalez-Bulnes, and B. K. Campbell. 2004. The use of urinary and recombinant human FSH preparations to induce superovulation in sheep and the effect on FSH and LH concentrations. Annual Meeting of British Society of Animal Science. 2004, Madrid, Spain. p. 59.
- Kumar, J., J. C. Osborn, and A. W. N. Cameron. 1991. Luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone induce premature condensation of chromatin in goat (Capra hircus) oocytes. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 3:585-591. https://doi.org/10.1071/RD9910585
- Lehloenya, K. C., J. P. C. Greyling, and S. Grobler. 2008. Effect of season on the superovulatory response in Boer goat does. Small Rumin. Res. 78:74-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2008.05.003
- Scaramuzzi, R. J., B. K. Campbell, J. A. Downing, N. R. Kendall, M. Khalid, M. Munoz-Gutierrez, and A. Somchit. 2006. A review of the effects of supplementary nutrition in the ewe on the concentrations of reproductive and metabolic hormones and the mechanisms that regulate folliculogenesis and ovulation rate. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 46:339-354. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:2006016
- Veiga-Lopez, A., A. Gonzalez-Bulnes, J. A. F. Tresguerres, V. Dominguez, C. Ariznavarreta, and M. J. Cocero. 2006. Causes, characteristics and consequences of anovulatory follicles in superovulated sheep. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 30:76-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2005.06.001
- Xiao, Z. C., W. E. Wan Khadijah, R. B. Abdullah, and M. M. Rahman. 2013. Effects of hormonal administration and locality influence on superovulatory responses in goats. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 83:927-929.
- Yuan, Y., L. An, B. Yu, T. Yang, and Y. Cheng. 2011. Effect of follicle stimulating hormone dosage, seasons and treatment frequency on superovulation in goats. Anim. Husb. Feed Sci. 3:20-22.
- Zambrini, F. N. 2006. Ovulation Dynamics and Artificial Insemination in Fixed Time in Toggenburg Goats with Induced Oestrus. M.Sc. Thesis, Universidade Federal de Vic, osa, Vic, osa, MG, Brazil.
- Ryan, J. P., J. R. Hunton, and W. M. Maxwell. 1991. Increased production of sheep embryos following superovulation of Merino ewes with a combination of pregnant mare serum gonadotrophin and follicle stimulating hormone. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 3:551-560. https://doi.org/10.1071/RD9910551