- Volume 27 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Supplementation with the Combination of Zeolite and Attapulgite on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Secretion of Digestive Enzymes and Intestinal Health in Broiler Chickens
- Zhou, P. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Synergetic Innovation Center of Food Safety and Nutrition, Nanjing Agricultural University) ;
- Tan, Y.Q. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Synergetic Innovation Center of Food Safety and Nutrition, Nanjing Agricultural University) ;
- Zhang, L. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Synergetic Innovation Center of Food Safety and Nutrition, Nanjing Agricultural University) ;
- Zhou, Y.M. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Synergetic Innovation Center of Food Safety and Nutrition, Nanjing Agricultural University) ;
- Gao, F. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Synergetic Innovation Center of Food Safety and Nutrition, Nanjing Agricultural University) ;
- Zhou, G.H. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Synergetic Innovation Center of Food Safety and Nutrition, Nanjing Agricultural University)
- Received : 2014.03.20
- Accepted : 2014.05.20
- Published : 2014.09.01
This study was designed to investigate the effects of basal diets supplemented with a clay product consisting of zeolite and attapulgite (ZA) at 1:1 ratio on growth performance, digestibility of feed nutrients, activities of digestive enzymes in small intestine and intestinal health in broiler chickens. In experiment 1, 112 one-day-old male chickens were randomly divided into 2 groups with 8 replicates of 7 chickens each. In experiment 2, 84 one-day-old male chickens were randomly allocated into 2 groups consisting 6 replicates of 7 chickens each. The experimental diets both consisted of a maize-soybean basal control diet supplemented with 0% or 2% ZA. The diets were fed from 1 to 42 days of age. The results showed that ZA supplementation could increase body weight gain (BWG) and feed intake (FI), but had no significant effect on feed conversion ratio. The apparent digestibility values of crude protein and gross energy were significantly increased (p<0.05) by ZA from 14 to 16 d and 35 to 37 d. Dietary ZA treatment significantly increased (p<0.05) the activities of amylase, lipase and trypsin in jejunal digesta and the activities of maltase and sucrase in jejunal mucosa on days 21 and 42. The ZA supplementation also significantly increased (p<0.05) the catalase activity, reduced (p<0.05) the malondialdehyde concentration in the jejunal mucosa. In addition, a decrease of serum diamine oxidase activity and an increase (p<0.05) in concentration of secretory immunoglobulin A in jejunal mucosa were observed in birds treated with ZA on 21 and 42 days. It is concluded that ZA supplementation (2%) could partially improve the growth performance by increasing BWG and FI. This improvement was achieved through increasing the secretion of digestive enzymes, enhancing the digestibilites of nutrients, promoting intestinal health of broiler chickens.
Attapulgite;Broiler;Growth Performance;Intestinal Health;Zeolite
- Yuan, Y. Y., X. Ke, F. J. Chen, P. H. Krogh, and F. Ge. 2011. Decrease in catalase activity of Folsomia candida fed a Bt rice diet. Environ. Pollut. 159:3714-3720. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2011.07.015
- Zhang, J., Y. Lv, C. Tang, and X. Wang. 2013. Effects of dietary supplementation with palygorskite on intestinal integrity in weaned piglets. Appl. Clay Sci. 86:185-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2013.10.009
- Saribeyoglu, K., E. Aytac, S. Pekmezci, S. Saygili, H. Uzun, G. Ozbay, S. Aydin, and H. O. Seymen. 2011. Effects of clinoptilolite treatment on oxidative stress after partial hepatectomy in rats. Asian J. Surg. 34:153-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asjsur.2011.11.007
- SPSS Inc. 2008. SPSS 16.0 for Windows. SPSS Inc, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Slamova, R., M. Trckova, H. Vondruskova, Z. Zraly, and I. Pavlik. 2011. Clay minerals in animal nutrition. Appl. Clay Sci. 51:395-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2011.01.005
- Tang, Z. G., C. Wen, L. C. Wang, T. Wang, and Y. M. Zhou. 2014. Effects of zinc-bearing clinoptilolite on growth performance, cecal microflora and intestinal mucosal function of broiler chickens. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 189:98-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2013.12.014
- Wang, L. C., T. T. Zhang, C. Wen, Z. Y. Jiang, T. Wang, and Y. M. Zhou. 2012. Protective effects of zinc-bearing clinoptilolite on broilers challenged with Salmonella pullorum. Poult. Sci. 91:1838-1845. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2012-02284
- Wolvekamp, M. C. J. and R. W. F. De Bruin. 1994. Diamine oxidase: an overview of historical, biochemical and functional aspects. Dig. Dis. 12:2-14. https://doi.org/10.1159/000171432
- Wu, Q. J., L. C. Wang, Y. M. Zhou, J. F. Zhang, and T. Wang. 2013d. Effects of clinoptilolite and modified clinoptilolite on the growth performance, intestinal microflora, and gut parameters of broilers. Poult. Sci. 92:684-692. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2012-02308
- Wu, Q. J., Y. M. Zhou, Y. N. Wu, L. L. Zhang, and T. Wang. 2013a. The effects of natural and modified clinoptilolite on intestinal barrier function and immune response to LPS in broiler chickens. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 153:70-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2013.02.006
- Wu, Q. J., Y. M. Zhou, Y. N. Wu, and T. Wang. 2013c. Intestinal development and function of broiler chickens on diets supplemented with clinoptilolite. Asian Australas. J. Anim. 26:987-994. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12545
- Wu, Y., Q. Wu, Y. Zhou, H. Ahmad, and T. Wang. 2013b. Effects of clinoptilolite on growth performance and antioxidant status in broilers. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 155:228- 235. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-013-9777-6
- Murray, H. H. 2000. Traditional and new applications for kaolin, smectite, and palygorskite: A general overview. Appl. Clay Sci. 17:207-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-1317(00)00016-8
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th rev. ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Nielsen, F., B. B. Mikkelsen, J. B. Nielsen, H. R. Andersen, and P. Grandjean. 1997. Plasma malondialdehyde as biomarker for oxidative stress: Reference interval and effects of life-style factors. Clin. Chem. 43:1209-1214.
Ouhida, I., J. F. Perez, J. Gasa, and F. Puchal. 2000a. Enzymes (
$\beta$-glucanase and arabinoxylanase) and/or sepiolite supplementation and the nutritive value of maize-barley-wheat based diets for broiler chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 41:617-624. https://doi.org/10.1080/713654974
- Ouhida, I., J. F. Perez, J. Piedrafita, and J. Gasa. 2000b. The effects of sepiolite in broiler chicken diets of high, medium and low viscosity. Productive performance and nutritive value. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 85:183-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00148-6
- Papaioannou, D., P. D. Katsoulos, N. Panousis, and H. Karatzias. 2005. The role of natural and synthetic zeolites as feed additives on the prevention and/or the treatment of certain farm animal diseases: A review. Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 84:161-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2005.05.030
- Papaioannou, D. S., S. C. Kyriakis, A. Papasteriadis, N. Roumbies, A. Yannakopoulos, and C. Alexopoulos. 2002. A field study on the effect of in-feed inclusion of a natural zeolite (clinoptilolite) on health status and performance of sows/gilts and their litters. Res. Vet. Sci. 72:51-59.
- Pappas, A. C., E. Zoidis, N. Theophilou, G. Zervas, and K. Fegeros. 2010. Effects of palygorskite on broiler performance, feed technological characteristics and litter quality. Appl. Clay Sci. 49:276-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2010.06.003
- Reynolds, J. V. 1996. Gut barrier function in the surgical patients. Br. J. Surg. 83:1668-1669. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800831204
- Corthesy, B. 2013. Role of secretory IgA in infection and maintenance of homeostasis. Autoimmun. Rev. 12:661-665. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autrev.2012.10.012
- Feng, J., X. Liu, Z. R. Xu, Y. Z. Wang, and J. X. Liu. 2007. Effects of fermented soybean meal on digestive enzyme activities andintestinal morphology in broilers. Poult. Sci. 86:1149-1154. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.6.1149
- Hu, C. H., M. S. Xia, Z. R. Xu, and L. Xiong. 2004. Effects of copper-bearing montmorillonite on growth performance and digestive function of growing pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. 17:1575-1581. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1575
- Lavie, S. and G. Stotzky. 1986. Adhesion of the clay minerals montmorillonite, kaolinite, and attapulgite reduces respiration of Histoplasma capsulatum. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 51:65-73.
- Lopez-Galindo, A., C. Viseras, and P. Cerezo. 2007. Compositional, technical and safety specifications of clays to be used as pharmaceutical and cosmetic products. Appl. Clay Sci. 36:51-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2006.06.016
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis, 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Cabezas, M. J., D. Salvador, and J. V. Sinisterra. 1991. Stabilization-activation of pancreatic enzymes adsorbed on to a sepiolite clay. J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. 52:265-274.
- Ly, J., F. Grageola, C. Lemus, and M. Castro. 2007. Ileal and rectal digestibility of nutrients in diets based on Leucaena (Leucaena leucocephala (Lam.) de Wit) for pigs. Influence of the inclusion of zeolite. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 6:1371-1376.
- Maeda, T. and Y. Nose. 1999. A new antibacterial agent: antibacterial zeolite. Artif. Organs 23:129-130. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1594.1999.00751.x
- Mantis, N. J., N. Rol, and B. Corthesy. 2011. Secretory IgA's complex roles in immunity and mucosal homeostasis in the gut. Mucosal Immunol. 4:603-611. https://doi.org/10.1038/mi.2011.41
- Mumpton, F. A. 1999. La roca magica: Uses of natural zeolites in agriculture and industry. Proc. e Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 96:3463-3470. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.96.7.3463
- Choct, M. and G. Annison. 1992. The inhibition of nutrient digestion by wheat pentosans. Br. J. Nutr. 67:123-132. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19920014
- Effects of cysteamine supplementation on the intestinal expression of amino acid and peptide transporters and intestinal health in finishing pigs vol.88, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12626
- The effect of dietary supplementation of transcarpathian zeolite on intestinal morphology in female broiler chickens vol.26, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3382/japr/pfx011
- mycelia on the growth performance and intestinal immune response and microflora of early-weaned pigs vol.88, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12765
- Effects of different levels of modified palygorskite supplementation on the growth performance, immunity, oxidative status and intestinal integrity and barrier function of broilers pp.09312439, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12974
- Influence of zeolite (clinoptilolite) supplementation on characteristics of digestion and ruminal fermentation of steers fed a steam-flaked corn-based finishing diet vol.58, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN16128
- Effects of Modified Palygorskite Supplementation on Egg Quality and Mineral Element Content, and Intestinal Integrity and Barrier Function of Laying Hens pp.1559-0720, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-018-1335-9