- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Relation Between Measured Sea Ice Thickness and Freeboard on Chukchi and Beaufort Seas
추코트와 보퍼트 해에서 계측된 해빙 두께와 건현과의 관계
Jeong, Seong-Yeob;Choi, Kyungsik;Cho, Seong-Rak;Kang, Kuk-Jin;Lee, Chun-Ju
- Received : 2014.07.09
- Accepted : 2014.10.24
- Published : 2014.12.31
The thickness of Arctic sea ice is a particularly significant factor in Arctic shipping and other ice-related research areas such as scientific sea ice investigations and Arctic engineering. In this study, the relation between the measured sea ice thickness and freeboard on the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas during the 2010 and 2011 Arctic cruise of the icebreaking research vessel "Araon" were considered. An assumption of hydrostatic equilibrium was used to estimate the ice thickness as a function of the freeboard. Then, to examine the degree of error, a sensitivity analysis of the thickness estimation of the sea ice was conducted. The error in the density and depth of the snow and the error in the density of the seawater were subordinate parameters, but the density of the ice and the freeboard were the primary parameters in the error calculation. The presented relation formula showed fairly close agreement between the calculated and measured results at a freeboard of >0.24 m.
Sea ice thickness;Freeboard;Hydrostatic equilibrium
- Alexandrov, V., Sandevn, S., Wahlin, J., Johannessen, O.M., 2010. The Relation between Sea Ice Thickness and Freeboard in the Arctic. The Cryosphere Discuss, 4(2), 641-661. https://doi.org/10.5194/tcd-4-641-2010
- Forsstrom, S., Gerland, S., Perersen, C.A., 2011. Thickness and Density of Snow-covered Sea Ice and Hydrostatic Equilibrium Assumption from in Situ Measurements in Fram Strait, the Barents Sea and the Svalbard coast. Annals of Glaciology, 52(57), 261-270. https://doi.org/10.3189/172756411795931598
- Giles, K.A., Laxon, S.W., Wingham, D.J., Wallis, D.W., Krabill, W.B., Leuschen, C.J., McAdoo, D., Manizade, S.S., Raney, R.K., 2007. Combined Airborne Laser and Radar Altimeter 15 Measurements over the Fram Strait in May 2002. Remote Sensing of Environment 111, 182-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2007.02.037
- Jeong, S.Y., Lee, C.J., An, D.S., Hwang, P., 2010. Measurement of Sea Ice Thickness in the Arctic Ocean, July-August 2010. The Society Of Naval Architects of Korea, Changwon, Republic of Korea, 21-22 October 2010.
- Jeong, S.Y., Choi, G.G., 2011. A Measurement of Sea Ice Properties at Chukchi Borderland During the Summer. The Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 49(1), 45-51. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2012.49.1.45
- Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology(KIOST), Korea Research Institute of Ships and Ocean Engineering(KRISO), 2012. Research Report(BSPES149D-10196-6).
- Mironov, Y.U., Sen'ko, N.P., 1995. About Relation between Ice Thickness and Ice Draft. Trudy Arkticheskogo I Antarkticheskogo Instituta, 435, 47-54.
- Timco, G.W., Frederking, R.M.W., 1996. A Review of Sea Ice Density Cold Regions Science and Technology, 24(1), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-232X(95)00007-X
- Tonboe, R.T., Pedersen, L.T., Haas, C., 2009. Simulation of the Satellite Radar Altimeter Sea Ice Thickness Retrieval Uncertainty. The Cryosphere Discuss, 3, 513-559. https://doi.org/10.5194/tcd-3-513-2009
- Warren, S.G., Rigor, I.G., Untersteiner, N., Radionov, V.F., Bryazgin, N.N., Aleksandrov, Y.I., Colony, R., 1999. Snow Depth on Arctic Sea Ice, Journal of Climate, 12, 1814-1829. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(1999)012<1814:SDOASI>2.0.CO;2
- Wadhams, P., 2000. Ice in the Ocean. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers.