- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Back Pain Management Program on Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain
만성요통 환자에 대한 요통관리프로그램의 효과
- Shin, In Ho (Department of Nursing, St. Paul's Hospital, Catholic University) ;
- Cho, Kyung-Sook (Department of Nursing, Gachon University)
- Received : 2013.05.13
- Accepted : 2014.06.06
- Published : 2014.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to explore the effects of the 8-weeks back pain management program (consisted of exercise and education for back pain) in patients with chronic low back pain. Methods: A total of 20 subjects who visited the pain clinic in a university hospital were randomly assigned either to a experimental or a control group. Ten subjects in the experimental group carried out the back pain management program for 8 weeks, and 10 in the control group did not. Results: After the back pain management program, back pain and disability were significantly reduced, and back pain management behavior and back muscle strength were significantly increased in the experimental group. However, radiating pain and flexibility were not significantly changed after the back pain management program. Conclusion: Findings of this study indicated that the 8-weeks back pain management program had favorable effects on back pain, degree of disability, back pain management behavior, and back muscle strength in patients with chronic low back pain. Future research needs to examine the optimal intensity and frequency of back muscle strengthen exercise, and the lasting effects of education for back pain.
- Casey, K. L. (1982). Neural mechanisms of pain: An overview. Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica , 26, 13-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-6576.1982.tb01838.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-6576.1982.tb01838.x
- Choe, M. A., Yoo, J. H., Cho, K. S., Lee, K. S., Song, L. Y., Chae, Y. R., et al. (2008). Tools to measure exercise effects. Seoul:Koonja publisher.
- Choi, S. Y. (2001). The effect of exercise program on chronic low back pain in female teachers of elementary school. Journal of Korean Academy of Women Health Nursing, 7(2), 169-187.
- Dreher-Edelmann, G., Kim, K. K., Lee, B. W., & Kim, K. D. (2007). Gymnatik fur DIE wirbelsaule (Personalized exercise in treating back pain). Seoul: Hyungseul Publisher.
- Fairbank, J. C. T., & Pynsent, P. B. (2000). The Oswestry disability index. Spine, 25 (22), 2940-2953. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200011150-00017 https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200011150-00017
- Hong, C. W. (2005). Effects of lumbar extension exercise on rehabilitation of the patients, operated lumbar discectomy. Unpublished master's thesis, Pusan National University, Pusan.
- Hwang, S. K., & Choi, K. S. (1994). Exercise prescription and health. Seoul: Keumkang Publisher.
- Hyoung, H. K. (2006). Effects of a strengthening program for the lower back in elderly women with chronic low back pain. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Jeong, J. S. (2006). The effect of back pain program on patients with chronic low back pain in military hospital . Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju.
- Jeong, T. C., Park, H. S., & Jang, H. K. (2011). The effects of pilates mat exercise on middle-aged womens' blood lipid level, body composition and lumbar muscle. Kinesiology, 13 (2), 77-88.
- Jin, K. O., & Lim, N. Y. (2008). A study on the pain, depression, life satisfaction of the chronic low back pain patients. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 15 (1), 73-87.
- Jorgensen, D. J. (2007). Fiscal analysis of emergency admissions for chronic back pain: A pilot study from a Moine hospital. Pain Medicine, 8 (4), 354-358. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2007.00309.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2007.00309.x
- Jun, M. H., Jung, J. Y., & Kim, M. S. (2012). Factors affecting postoperative uncertainty of the patients undergone lumbar spinal surgery. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 19 (3), 294-307. http://dx.doi.org/10.5953/jmjh.2012.19.3.294 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2012.19.3.294
- Kim, H. J. (2008). The effects of education about chronic low back pain during swiss ball exercise on pain, muscle endurance, flexibility for the patients with chronic low back pain. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Yongin.
- Kim, J. W. (2011). The effect of neuro-muscular activation remedial exercise using sling on pain Intensity and muscle activity of patients with chronic low back pain. Unpublished master's thesis, Koomin University, Seoul.
- Kim, K. A., Lee, M. H., Kim, H. K., & Jeong, S. H. (2013). The effect of exercise program on pain, daily living disability, and depression in chronic low back pain patients treated with epidural injections. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 25 (4), 454-463. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.4.454 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.4.454
- Kwon, H. R. (2005). The effects of lumbar self-exercise program on physical strength factors (strength, flexibility), pain and OSI in patients with the chronic low back pain. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. K. (1997). A study for predicting exercise behavior with low back pain patients. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lee, K. W. (2002). Rehabilitation medicine for low back pain and cervical pain. Seoul: Koonja Publisher.
- Lee, M. H. (2007). Effects of the low back exercise program including a hamstring stretching on lumbar muscle strength and subjective pain in chronic low back pain patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea National Sport University, Seoul.
- Lee, Y. H. (2012). Effect of exercise after surgery on pain, muscle strength of legs, and disability of daily living activity of patients with lumbar spinal disease. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam University, Daejeon.
- Mailloux, J., Finno, M., & Rainville, J. (2006). Long-term exercise adherence in the elderly with chronic low back pain. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 85, 120-126. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.phm.0000197580.64079.3d https://doi.org/10.1097/01.phm.0000197580.64079.3d
- Moffett, J. A. K., Chase, S. M., Portek, I., & Ennis, J. R. (1986). A controlled, prospective study to evaluate the effectiveness of a back school in the relief of chronic low back pain. Spine, 11 (2), 120-122. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198603000-00003 https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198603000-00003
- Nam, K. W. (2005). Isotonic lumbar extension exercise on improvement and maintenance of trunk stability in the patients with microscopic lumbar discectomy. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kosin University, Busan.
- Song, S. K. (2007). The effects of mit on pain and lumbar spine function in patients with chronic low back pain. Unpublished master's thesis, Yongin University, Yongin.
- Sung, P. S. (2003). Multifidi muscles median frequency before and after spinal stabilization exercises. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 84 (9), 1313-1318. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0003-9993(03)00139-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00139-4
- Wooridul Hospital. (2010). Low back pain exercise. Retrieved August 11, 2010, from http://wooridul.co.kr/Spineinfo/good spine_list.jsp
- Yilmaz, F., Yimaz, A., Merdol, F., Parlar, D., Sahin, F., & Kuran, B. (2003). Efficacy of dynamic lumbar stabilization exercise in lumbar microdiscectomy. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 35, 163-167. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/16501970306125 https://doi.org/10.1080/16501970306125
- Yoon. S. J. (2007). Effect of lumbar stabilization exercise on low back pain of nurses in intensive care unit. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Wonju.
- Yun, E. J. (2004). Effects of exercise frequency on the lumbar muscle strength of patients with chronic low back pain. Unpublished master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul.
- The Effects of Comprehensive Education Program on Anxiety, Uncertainty and Athletic Performance of Patients undergo Spinal Nerve Block vol.29, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.2.143