- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Initial Conditions on Transient Responses in Dynamic Simulation of FOWT
초기 조건이 부유식 풍력터빈 동역학 해석의 과도응답에 미치는 영향
Song, Jin-Seop;Rim, Chae-Whan;Moon, Seok-Jun;Nam, Yong-Yun
- Received : 2014.05.29
- Accepted : 2014.08.19
- Published : 2014.08.30
The IEC standard for onshore or offshore wind turbines requires additional dummy simulations (at least 5 s) for the transient responses due to initial conditions. An increase in the dummy time causes a considerable increase in the computational cost considering multiple design spirals with several thousand design load analysis cases. A time of 30 s is typically used in practical simulations for a wind turbine design with a fixed platform. However, 30 s may be insufficient for floating offshore wind turbines (FOWT) because the platforms have lower natural frequencies, and the transient responses will last much longer. In this paper, an initial condition application algorithm is implemented for WindHydro, and the appropriate dummy simulation time is investigated based on a series of dynamic simulations of a FOWT. As a result, it is found that more than 300 s is required for the platform to have stationary motion after the initial transient responses for the FOWT under the conditions considered.
Floating offshore wind turbine;Dynamic Simulations;Transient Responses;Initial Conditions;Design Loads Analysis
- Bossanyi, E.A., 2007. GH Bladed Theory Manual. Garrad Hassan and Partners Ltd.
- Haid, L., Martha, D., Stewart, G., Lackner, M., Jonkman, J., Robertson, A., 2013. Simulation Length Requirements in the Loads Analysis of Offshore Floating Wind Turbines. NREL/CP-5000-58513, Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), 2005. Wind Turbines-Part1 : Design Requirements. IEC61400-1 3rd Edition.
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), 2009. Wind Turbines-Part3 : Design Requirements for Offshore Wind Turbines. IEC61400-3 2nd Edition.
- Jonkman, J., 2010. Definition of the Floating Sytem for Phase IV of OC3. NREL/TP-500-47535, Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Jonkman, J., Buhl, M.Jr., 2005. FAST User's Guide. NREL/EL-500-38230, Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Jonkman, J., Butterfield, S., Musial, W., Scott, G. 2009. Definition of a 5-MW Reference Wind Turbine for Offshore System Development. NREL/TP-500-38060, Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Lee, C.H., Bae, D.S., Lee, S.H., 2008. A Parametric Generalized Coordinate Formulation For Multibody System Dynamics. Proceedings of 4th Asian Conference on Multibody Dynamics, 22(2), 145-162.
- Rim, C.W., Song, J.S., Chung, T.Y., Moon, S.J., Go, J.Y., Lee, S.K., Bae, D.S., Bae, D.H., 2011. A Study on a Dynamics Simulation Program Development for Floating Wind Turbines. Journal of Wind Energy, 2(2), 30-37.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)