- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Methods for Nonlinear Structural Response Analysis of Offshore Structures with Passive Fire Protection under Fires
해양플랜트 구조물의 화재 사고 시 PFP 효과를 고려한 비선형 구조응답 해석 기법에 대한 연구
- Received : 2014.04.10
- Accepted : 2014.08.19
- Published : 2014.08.30
In offshore structures, fire is one of the most important hazardous events. The concern of fires has recently been reflected in the rules and quantified risk assessment based design practice. Within the framework of quantified risk assessment and the management of offshore installations, therefore, more refined computations of the consequences or hazardous action effects due to fire are required. To mitigate fire risk, passive fire protection(PFP) is widely used on offshore structures. This study presents methods for a nonlinear structural response analysis considering the PFP effects under fires. It is found that a structural response analysis is most likely to use valuable technology for the optimization and design of offshore structures with PFP. Thermal and structural response analyses have been performed using LS-DYNA and FAHTS/USFOS. The results of these structural response analyses are compared with each other.
Offshore structures;Passive Fire Protection;Heat transfer analysis;Nonlinear structural response
- USFOS A/S, 2013b. User's Manual for USFOS(Version 86a). USFOS A/S, Sandsli.
- Paik, J.K., Thayamballi, A.K., 2007. Ship-shaped Offshore Installations: Design, Building, and Operation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Seok, J., Jeong, S.M., Park, J.C., Paik, J.K., 2013. CFD Simulation of Methane Combustion for Estimation of Fire and Explosion in Offshore Plant. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 27(2), 59-68. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.2.059
- USFOS A/S, 2013a. User's Manual for FAHTS(Version 637). USFOS A/S, Sandsli.
- European standard, 2005b. Design of Steel Structures - Part 1-2: General Rules - Structural Fire Design.
- Cengel, Y.A., Ghajar, A.J., 2010. Heat and Mass Transfer: Fundamentals and Applications. 4th Edition in SI units, McGraw-Hill, Columbus.
- Computational Industry Technologies(ComputIT), 2013. User's Manual for Kameleon FireEx(KFX). Computational Industry Technologies AS, Stavanger.
- European standard, 2005a. Design of Steel Structures - Part 1-1: General Rules and Rules for Buildings.
- Fire and Blast International Group(FABIG), 1993. Technical Note 1: Fire Resistant Design of Offshore Topside Structures. Fire and Blast International Group, Berkshire.
- Fire and Blast International Group(FABIG), 2010. Technical Note 11: Fire Loading and Structural Response. Fire and Blast International Group, Berkshire.
- Franssen, J.M., Real, P.V., 2010. Fire Design of Steel Structures; ECCS Eurocode Design Manuals. Ernst & Sohn, Berlin.
- Health and Safety Executive(HSE), 2007. Advice on Acceptance Criteria for Damage Passive Fire Protection(PFP) Coatings. HSE Information Sheet, Offshore Information Sheet No. 12, Health and Safety Executive, London.
International Protective Coatings, 2013. Product Datasheet Chartek 7. [Online] Available at:
[Accessed 20 Dec. 2013].
- Kim, J.H., Kim, C.K., Kim, D.C., Islam, M.S., Park, S.I. and Paik, J.K., 2013. A study on methods for fire load application with passive fire protection effects, Ocean Engineering. 70, 177-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2013.05.017
- Livermore Software Technology Corporation(LSTC), 2013. User's Manual for LS-DYNA(Version 970). Livermore Software Technology Corporation, CA.
- Paik, J.K., Czujko, J., 2011. Assessment of Hydrocarbon Explosion and Fire Risks in Offshore Installations: Recent advances and future trends. The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering, 120(3), 167-179.
Supported by : 부산대학교