- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Low-temperature Mechanical Behavior of Super Duplex Stainless Steel Considering High Temperature Environment
고온 환경의 영향을 고려한 슈퍼듀플렉스 강의 저온 기계적 거동 평가
Kim, Myung-Soo;Jung, Won-Do;Kim, Jeong-Hyeon;Lee, Jae-Myung
- Received : 2014.04.30
- Accepted : 2014.08.19
- Published : 2014.08.30
Super duplex stainless steels (sDSS) are excellent for use under severely corrosive conditions such as offshore and marine applications like pipelines and flanges. sDSS has better mechanical properties and corrosion resistance than the standard duplex stainless steel (DSS) but it is easier for a sigma phase to appear, which depresses the mechanical property and corrosion resistance, compared to DSS, because sDSS has a higher alloy element than DSS. In addition, sDSS has a feeble ductile-brittle transition temperature (DBTT) because it has a 50% ferrite microstructure. In the actual operating environment, sDSS would be thermally affected by welding and a sub-zero temperature environment. This study analyzed how precipitated sDSS behaves at a sub-zero temperature through annealing heat treatment and a sub-zero tensile test. Six types of specimens with annealing times of up to 60 min were tested in a sub-zero chamber. According to the experimental results, an increase in the annealing time reduced the elongation of sDSS, and a decrease in the tensile test temperature raises the flow stress and tensile stress. In particular, the elongation of specimens annealed for 15 min and 30 min was clearly lowered with a decrease in the tensile test temperature because of the increasing sigma phase fraction ratio.
Super duplex stainless steel;Sigma phase;Sub-zero tensile test
- Borvik, T., Lange, H., Marken, L.A., Langseth, M., Hopperstad, O.S., Aursand, M., Rovik, G., 2010. Pipe Fittings in Duplex Stainless Steel with Deviation in Quality caused by Sigma Phase Precipitation. Materials Science and Engineering A, 527(26) 6945-6955. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2010.06.087
- Ghosh, S.K., Mondal, S., 2008. High Temperature Ageing Behaviour of a Duplex Stainless Steel. Materials Characterization, 59(12), 1776-1783. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2008.04.008
- Iris, A.A., 2007. Duplex Stainless Steels: Brief History and Some Recent Alloys. Recent Patents on Mechanical Engineering, 1(1) 51-57.
- Kashiwar, A., Phani Vennela, N., Kamath, S.L., Khatirkar, R.K., 2012. Effect of Solution Annealing Temperature on Precipitation in 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel. Materials Characterization, 74(1), 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2012.09.008
Li, J., Wu, T., Riquier, Y., 1993.
$\sigma$Phase Precipitation and its Effect on The Mechanical Properties of a Super Duplex Stainless Steel. Materials Science and Engineering A, 174(2), 149-156.
- Momeni, A., Dehghani, K., 2009. Effect of Hot Working on Secondary Phase Formation in 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 26(9), 851-857.
- Sieurin, H., Sandstrom, R., 2006. Sigma Phase Precipitation in Duplex Stainless Steel 2205. Materials Science and Engineering A, 444(1-2), 271-276.
Supported by : 한국연구재단