- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effective Analysis for Rapidly Varying Flows through Improvement in Spatial Discretization of Horizontal Advection Terms
수평 이류항의 공간이산화 개선을 통한 급변 유동의 효율적 해석
- Received : 2014.02.17
- Accepted : 2014.08.19
- Published : 2014.08.30
In this study, the numerical model developed by Hong et al.(2008) was improved to be applied to rapidly varying flows such as the inundation of dry land or flow transitions due to large gradients of the bathymetry. A numerical approximation was applied that was consistent with the conservation of momentum in flow expansions and with the Bernoulli equation in flow contractions. The approximation was second order, but the accuracy reduced to first order near extreme values by the use of a minmod limiter. The modified model was verified by acomparison with the theoretical critical depth of weir, and for sufficiently smooth conditions and a fine grid size, both approximations converged to the same solution. In terms of the grid size, it was more effective at obtaining solutions than the previous model and reproduced the inundation of dry land.
Horizontal advection term;Numerical wiggles;Minmod limiter minmod
- Hong, N.S., Kim, G.Y., Kang, Y.G., 2008. Three Dimensional Numerical Model for Flow with Silt Protector. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 22(3), 1-7.
- Gresho, P.M. and, Lee, R.L., 1981. Don't suppress the wiggles they are telling you something. Jounal of Computer and Fluids, 9, 223-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7930(81)90026-8
- Leendertse, J.J., 1967. Aspects of a Computational Model for Long-period Water-wave Propagatin. RM-5294-RR. Rand Corporation, Santa Monica. Ph.D. thesis
- Leendertse, J.J., Gritton, E.C, 1971. A Three-Dimensional Model for Estuaries and Coastal Seas: Vol II, Computation Procedures. Report R-708-NYC, The Rand Corporation, Santa Monica.
- Leendertse, J.J., Alexander, R.C., Liu, S.K., 1973. A Three-Dimensional Model for Estuaries and Coastal Seas: I-IV, Report R-1417, 1764, 1884, 2187-OWRT, The Rand Corporation, Santa Monica.
- Stelling, G.S., 1984. On the Construction of Computational Methods for Shallow Water Problems, Technical Report, 35, Rijkswaterstaat.
- Stelling, G.S., Leendertse, J.J., 1991. Approximation of Convective Processes by Cyclic AOI Methods. Proceedings of 2nd ASCE Conference on Estuarine and Coastal Modelling, Tampa.
- Stelling, G.S., Leendertse, J.J., 1992. Approximation of Convective Processes by Cyclic AOI Methods. In M. L. Spaulding, K. Bedford and A Blumberg, eds., Estuarine and coastal modeling, Proceedings 2nd ASCE Conference on Estuarine and Coastal Modelling, Tampa.
- Vreugdenhil, C.B., 1994. Numerical Methods for Shallow Water Flow. Water Science and Technology, Kluwer Academic Publisher.