- Volume 23 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Environmental Education Experience and Environmental Perceptions of Citizens in Daegu
대구시민의 환경교육경험과 환경인식에 대한 연구
- Yamada, Keiko (Department of Global Environment, Keimyung University)
- 야마다 게이꼬 (계명대학교 지구환경학과)
- Received : 2014.07.07
- Accepted : 2014.08.14
- Published : 2014.08.29
This study, through the survey of citizens of Daegu in regard to the environment education experience and citizens perception, seeks to identify the order of importance and perception on the severity of environment. The survey has found that 36.4% citizens of Daegu have environment education experience. Those who have experience have high standard of living, live in high population density area and where pollutant generating plants are prevalent. In addition they are likely to live in apartment, are younger, and the higher the education level, more opportunities they have in getting environment education. The study has found that the environment education experience gives noticeable influence on environment perception, environment attitude, and environment activities. Also, those who have the environment education are likely to be interested in environment, know green growth policies, and are positive about local environment activities. Thus, they are willing to participate in activities to improve local environment and have emphasized the need for more environment education. As for what environment elements are most severe, they pointed to the "global warming and climate change" and "everyday garbage" and as for what are important, they chose "drinking water quality" and "global warming and climate change." Based on the study, we came to the conclusion that more environment education should be provided to elevate the interest in environment and subsequently, foster the sense of responsibility and civic mind toward the preservation of environment. In light of above, local governments must expand their supports and fully utilize the Local Agenda 21 to promote the education and increase the perception of citizens on the environment.
Environmental education;Environmental perception;Local agenda21;Low carbon green growth;Environmental attitude;Environmental action
- Han, D. J., 2009, establishment of Environmental Protection planning on the survey of Gangneung citizen's opinions, Gangwon Provincial College, Vol.12, 61-68.
- Choe, Y. H., Choe, G. S., 2002, The Research on Recognition to Environmental Policy, Journal of Local Government Studies, Vol.14 No.1, 145-158.
- Dunlap, K. D., Van Liere, K. D., Mertig, A, G., and Robert, E, Jones., 2000, Measuring Endorsement of the New Ecological Paradigm: A Revised NEPS cale, Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 56 No.3, 425-442. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-4537.00176
- Dunlap, R. E., Jenkins, S. P., 1992, Environmental Concern: Conceptual and Measurement Issue, in Handbook of Environmental Sociology, 482-524.
- Heo, J. Y., 2008, A Study of the Public's Environmental Consciousness and Environmental Behavior in Seoul, Master Dissertation, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Hungerford, H. R., Volk, T. L., 1990, Changing Learner Behavior through Environmental Education, The Journal of Environmental Education, Vol.21 No.3, 8-21. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.1990.10753743
- Hungerford, H. R., 2002, Responsible Citizenship and the Effective Domain in Environmental Education, The Journal of Environmental Education, Vol.15 No.1, 137-158.
- I, M. N., 2010, A study on the influence of adult's environmental consciousness on participation in environmental education, Master Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Jegal, D., I, H. B., Kim, H. H., Son, H. Y., 2004, Resident Consciousness about 81 City unit local environmental evaluation and environmental reform, Korea Environmental policy and Administration society, Vol.13 No.4, 157-189.
- Jeon, H. C., Sa, J. H., Jo, S. C., 2000, Investigation on Citizen's the Environmental Recognition and Attitude in Naju, Environmental research, Vol.5 No.1, 109-130.
- Ministry of Environment, 2000, 21th Environmental Consciousness in Korea, Ministry of Environment, Korea.
- Jo, Y. A., Kim, K. H., 2003, Environmental Consciousness in Korea, Resource and Environmental Economic Research, Vol.12 No.1, 177-205.
- Kim, H. S., Jang, M. H., 2011, Residents' Perception on Living Environment in Metropolitan Area - The Case of Daegu Metropolitan City -, the Korean housing association, Vol.22 No.4 113-120. https://doi.org/10.6107/JKHA.2011.22.4.113
- Ministry of Environment, 1995, The nation opinion research on Environmental Conservation, Ministry of Environment, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2003, The nation opinion research on Environmental Conservation, Ministry of Environment, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2003, Environmental Report, Ministry of Environment, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2008, The nation opinion research on Environmental Conservation, Ministry of Environment, Korea.
- Park, S. H., 1998, A Study on Social Environmental Education for General Public, Master Dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Survey Research on Satisfaction and Utilization of New & Renewable Energy Resource Map Service vol.24, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.8.1003