- Volume 23 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Evaluations of Fish Survival Rate and Fish Movements using the Tagging Monitoring Approach of Passive Integrated Transponders (PIT)
수동형 전자발신장치(Passive Integrated Transponder, PIT) 모니터링 기법 적용에 따른 어종별 생존율 평가 및 어도에서 어류이동성 평가
- Choi, Ji-Woong (Department of Biological Sciences, College of Biosciences and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University) ;
- An, Kwang-Guk (Department of Biological Sciences, College of Biosciences and Biotechnology, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2014.03.20
- Accepted : 2014.08.18
- Published : 2014.08.29
The objective of this study was to evaluate survival rate and fish movement (migration) using a tagging approach of passive integrated transponder (PIT) in Juksan Weir, which was constructed as a four major river restoration projects. For this study, survival rates of each fish species and the mobility of fish individuals were analyzed during 2 weeks by the insertion of PIT tags to various fish species in the laboratory. According to tagging tests in the laboratory, the survival rate 37.5% (30 survivals of 80 individuals) after the insertion of PIT tags. The survival rate of Carassius auratus and Hemibarbus labeo was 100% and 80% after the insertion of the tags, respectively, whereas it was only 13.3% for Zacco platypus. In the field experiments of Juksan Weir, 6 species and 157 individuals from 8 species (563 individuals) were detected in the fixed automatic data-logging system, indicating a detection rate of 27.9% in the fishway of Juksan Weir. In the meantime, some species with no or low detection rates in the fixed automatic data-logging system were turn out to be stagnant-type species, which prefer stagnant or standing water to live.
Grant : 어도의 효율성 평가 및 개선방안
Supported by : 영산강·섬진강 수계관리위원회
- Acolas, M. L., Roussel, J. M., Lebel, J. M., Bagliniere, J. L. 2007. Laboratory experiment on survival, growth and tag retention following PIT injection into the body cavity of juvenile brown trout (Salmo trutta). Fish. Res., 86(2), 280-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2007.05.011
- Allan, J. D., Flecker, A. S., 1993, Biodiversity conservation in running waters, Bioscience, 43, 32-43. https://doi.org/10.2307/1312104
- Bain, M. B., Finn, J. T., 1988, Streamflow regulation and fish community structure. Ecology, 69, 382-392. https://doi.org/10.2307/1940436
- Choi, J. W., An, K. G., 2008, Characteristics of fish compositions and longitudinal distribution in Yeongsan River watershed, Korean J. Limnol., 41(3), 301-310.
- Barry, T., Kynard B., 1986, Attraction of adult American shad to fish lifts at Holyoke Dam, Connecticut River, N. Am. J. Fish. Manage., 6, 233-241. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1986)6<233:AOAAST>2.0.CO;2
- Bubb, D. H., Lucas, M. C., Thom, T. J., Rycroft, P., 2002, The potential use of PIT telemetry for identifying and tracking crayfish in their natural environment, Hydrobiologia, 483, 225-230. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021352217332
- Bunt, C. M., Castro-Santos, T., Haro, A., 2011, Performance of fish passage structures at upstream barriers to migration, River Res. Appl., 28(4), 457-478.
- Clay, C. H., 1995, Design of fishway and other fish facilities, Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton.
- Cloern, J. E., 1987, Turbidity as a control on phytoplankton biomass and productivity in estuaries, Cont. Shelf Res., 7, 1367-1381. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4343(87)90042-2
- Gray, A., 1992, The ecological impact of estuarine barrages, British Ecological Society/Field Studies Council, Shrewsbury.
- Hanson, M. A., Butler, M. G., 1994, Responses of plankton, turbidity, and macrophytes to biomanipulation in a shallow prairie lake, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 51, 1180-1188. https://doi.org/10.1139/f94-117
- Jang M. H., Yoon, J. D., Do, Y. N., Joo, G. J., 2007, Survival Rate on the Small Cyprinidae by PIT Tagging Application, Korean J. Ichthyol., 19(4), 371-377.
- Joy, M. K., Death, R. G., 2001, Control of freshwater fish and crayfish community structure in Taranaki, New Zealand: dams, diadromy or habitat structure?, Freshwater Biolo., 46, 417-429. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2427.2001.00681.x
- Mantel, S. K., Muller, N. W. J., Hughes, D. A., 2010, Ecological impacts of small dams on South African rivers Part 2: Biotic response-abundance and composition of macroinvertebrate communities, Water SA, 36(3), 361-370.
- Kenward, R. E., 2001, A manual for wildlife radio tagging, 2nd ed., Academic Press, London, UK.
- Kim, I. S., Park, J. Y., 2002, Freshwater fish of Korea, Kyo-Hak Publishing Co., Ltd., Seoul, Korea.
- Lucas, M. C., Baras, E., 2001, Migration of freshwater fishes. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Lee, J. H., Lee, H. J., Ra, N. Y., Kim, J. K., Eom, J., Park, D., 2009, Application of PIT tag and radio telemetry research methods for the effective management of reptiles in Korea national parks, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 27(2), 146-154.
- Martinez, P. J., Chart, T. E., Trammell, M. A., Wullschleger, J. G., Bergersen, E. P., 1994, Fish species composition before and after construction of a main stem reservoir on the White River, Colorado, Environ. Biol. Fish, 40, 227-239. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00002509
- MEK(Ministry of Environment, Korea), 2012a, Passage route survey of migratory before and after the construction of weirs and the fishway's effects, National Institute of Environmental Research(NIER), Incheon, Korea.
- MEK(Ministry of Environment, Korea), 2012b, Investigations of migration pattern on migratory and freshwater fish, National Institute of Environmental Research(NIER), Incheon, Korea.
- Morhardt, J. E., Bisher, D., Handlin, C. I., Mulder, S. D., 2000, A portable system for reading large PIT tags from wild trout, N. Am. J. Fish. Manage., 20, 276-283. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8675(2000)020<0276:APSFRL>2.0.CO;2
- Roussel, J. M., Haro, A., Cunjak, R. A., 2000, Field-test of a new method for tracking small fishes in shallow rivers using passive integrated transponder (PIT) technology, Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 57, 1326-1329. https://doi.org/10.1139/f00-110
- Mueller, M., Pander, J., Geist, J., 2011, The effects of weirs on structural stream habitat and biological communities, J. Appl. Ecol., 48, 1450-1461. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2011.02035.x
- Nicola, G. G., Elvira, B., Almodovar, A., 1996, Dams and fish passage facilities in the large rivers of Spain: effects on migratory species, Arch. Hydrobiol., 113, 375-379.
- Park, S. T., 2010, The 4-River restoration project from the viewpoint of 21st century river management, 36(1), 72-75. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2010.36.1.072
- Thomas, D. H. L., 1996, Dam construction and ecological change in the riparian forest of the Hadejia-Jama' are floodplain, Nigeria, Land Degrad. Dev., 7, 279-295. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-145X(199612)7:4<279::AID-LDR234>3.0.CO;2-L
- Yoon, J. D., Kim, J. H., Joo, G. J., Seo, J. W., Park, H., Jang, M. H., 2011, Freshwater fish utilization of fishway installed in the Jangheung Dam. Korean J. Limnol., 44(3), 264-271.
- Zydlewski, G. B., Harom, A., Whalen, K. G., McCormick, S. D., 2001, Performance of stationary and portable passive transponder detection systems for monitoring fish movements, J. Fish Biol., 58, 1471-1475. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2001.tb02302.x