- Volume 23 Issue 8
Restoration is the process of reducing or reversing damage to an ecosystem so that it can function in its original manner. However, many restoration programs do not achieve this. In the Nakdong Estuary, the largest migratory nesting site in the center of the East Asian-Australasian flyway, an estuarine barrage was constructed in the 1980s that required site restoration following its completion in 1987 and the expansion of several large industrial complexes(Noksan and Jangrim) and a residential development(Myeongji). The goal of the restoration was to restore the function of the wetland to its pre-disturbance state. To achieve this, a restoration program was designed consisting of three stages. The first stage(1993-1995), saw the construction of three artificial wetlands(Shinhori, Daemadeung, and Eulsuk), the second(2003-2005) involved the dredging and returning of farmed lands to their natural state, and the third(2008-2012) focused on the rehabilitation and vegetation development of the wetlands. However, the project has not achieved all of the desired goals, and it is an example of the lapses in ecological restoration following anthropogenic disturbance. Issues that resulted in an incomplete restoration included the timing of the stages, noncompliance with the restoration plan, not directly monitoring the restoration or continuing the monitoring following completion of the development project, and the political subversion of the restoration plan. For the success of the restoration plan, it is necessary to avoid mistakes such as inconsistent monitoring, unequal levels of stakeholder involvement, and political interference.
Estuary;Human Development;Nakdong River Estuary;Restoration
- Busan Metropolitan City, 2001, Basic concept for the eco-park of Eulsukdo (Island), Busan Metropolitan City, Busan.
- Aber, J. S., Pavri, F., Aber., S. W., 2012, Conservation and management: wetland planning and practices. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., New Jersey, United States.
- Awimbo, J. A., Norton, D. A., Overmars, F. B., 1996, An evaluation of representativeness for nature conservation, Hokitika Ecological District, New Zealand, Biological Conservation, 75(2), 177-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3207(95)00058-5
- Bendor, T., 2009, A dynamic analysis of the wetland mitigation process and its effects on no net loss policy, Landscape and Urban Planning, 89(1-2), 17-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2008.09.003
- Boumans, R., Burdick, D., Dionne, M., 2002, Modeling habitat change in salt marshes after tidal restoration, Restoration Ecology, 10(3), 543-555. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1526-100X.2002.02032.x
- Busan Metropolitan City, 2000, Ecosystem management for the Nakdong River Estuary, Busan Metropolitan City, Busan.
- Busan Metropolitan City, 2006, Busan City Census (Korean). http://busanlibrary.busan.go.kr/03statistics/01_04.jsp.
- Choy, E. J., An, S., Kang, C. K., 2008, Pathways of organic matter through food webs of diverse habitats in the regulated Nakdong River estuary (Korea), Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 78(1), 215-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2007.11.024
- Dinerstein, E, 1979, An ecological survey of the royal Karnali-Bardia Wildlife Reserve, Nepal. Part I: Vegetation, modifying factors, and successional relationships, Biological Conservation, 16(4), 127-150.
- Doornbos, G., Groenendijk, A. M., Jo, Y. W., 1986, Nakdong estuary barrage and reclamation project: Preliminary results of the botanical, macrozoobenthic and ornithological studies, Biological Conservation 38(2), 115-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3207(86)90069-8
- Du, G., Son, M., Yun, M., An, S., Chung, I. K., 2009, Microphytobenthic biomass and species composition in intertidal flats of the Nakdong River estuary, Korea, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 82, (4), 663-672. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2009.03.004
- Everaert, G., Pauwels, I. S., Boets, P., Verduin, E., de la Haye, M. A. A., Blom, C., Goethals, P. L. M., 2013, Model-based evaluation of ecological bank design and management in the scope of the European Water Framework Directive, Ecological Engineering, 53, 144-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.12.034
- Gumiero, B., Mant, J., Hein, T., Elso, J., Boz, B., 2013, Linking the restoration of rivers and riparian zones/wetlands in Europe: Sharing knowledge through case studies, Ecological Engineering, 56, 36-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.12.103
- Furukawa, K., 2013, Case studies for urban wetlands restoration and management in Japan, Ocean & Coastal Management, 81, 97-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2012.07.012
- Garcia-Barrios, L. E., Speelman, E. N., Pimm, M. S., 2008, An educational simulation tool for negotiating sustainable natural resource management strategies among stakeholders with conflicting interests, Ecological Modelling, 210(1-2), 115-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2007.07.009
- Gulati, R. D., Dionisio Pires, L. M., Van Donk, E., 2008, Lake restoration studies: Failures, bottlenecks and prospects of new ecotechnological measures, Limnologica, 38, 233-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.limno.2008.05.008
- Hackney, C. T., 2000, Restoration of coastal habitats: expectation and reality, Ecological Engineering 15(3), 165-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-8574(00)00067-7
- Hopfensperger, K. N., Engelhardt, K. A. M., Seagle, S. W., 2006, The use of case studies in establishing feasibility for wetland restoration, Restoration Ecology, 14(4), 578-586. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-100X.2006.00169.x
- Hopfensperger, K. N., Engelhardt, K. A. M., Seagle, S. W., 2007, Ecological feasibility studies in restoration decision making, Environmental Management, 39(6), 843-852. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00267-005-0388-7
- Huang, H. W., You, M. H., 2013, Public perception of ocean governance and marine resources management in Taiwan, Coastal Management, 41(5), 420-438. https://doi.org/10.1080/08920753.2013.822288
- Hyberg, B., Riley, P., 2009, Floodplain ecosystem restoration: Commodity markets, environmental services, and the farm bill, Wetlands, 29(2), 527-534. https://doi.org/10.1672/08-132.1
- Jang, J. D., 2014, The habitat usage and conservation strategy of waterbirds in birds in the Nakdong River Estuary, Doctoral Thesis, Pusan National University, Busan.
- Kukkala, A. S., Moilanen, A., 2013, Core concepts of spatial prioritisation in systematic conservation planning, Biological Reviews, 88(2), 443-464. https://doi.org/10.1111/brv.12008
- Jenkinson, R. G., Barnas, K. A., Braatne, J. H., Bernhardt, E. S., Palmer, M. A., Allan, J. D., 2006, Stream restoration databases and case studies: a guide to information resources and their utility in advancing the science and practice of restoration, Restoration Ecology, 14(2), 177-186. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-100X.2006.00119.x
- Jeong, K.S., Kim, D. K., Joo, G. J., 2007, Delayed influence of dam storage and discharge on the determination of seasonal proliferations of Microcystis aeruginosa and Stephanodiscus hantzschii in a regulated river system of the lower Nakdong River(South Korea), Water Research, 41(6), 1269-1279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2006.11.054
- Joo, G. J., 1994, Ecological Research of the Nakdong River, Kumjung Press, Busan.
- Lavigne, F., Gunnell, Y., 2006, Land cover change and abrupt environmental impacts on Javan volcanoes, Indonesia: a long-term perspective on recent events, Regional Environmental Change, 6, 86-100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-005-0009-2
- Lee, G. C., 2009, The Nakdong Estuary Master Plan for Wetlands Conservation & Wise Use, Dong-A University Research Foundation for Industry -Academy Cooperation, Busan.
- Lee, W. H., 2011, The effect of bird habitat rehabilitation at Eulsukdo, Nakdong River Estuary, Doctoral Thesis. Dong-A University, Busan.
- Ministry of Environment, 2007, Survey and evaluation of aquatic ecosystem health in the Nakdong River, Ministry of Environment, Seoul.
- Ndunda, E. N., Mungatana, E. D., 2013, Evaluating the welfare effects of improved wastewater treatment using a discrete choice experiment, Journal of Environmental Management, 123, 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2013.02.053
- Risser, P. G., 1995, Biodiversity and ecosystem function, Conservation Biology, 9(4), 742-746. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1739.1995.09040742.x
- Pander, J., Geist, J., 2013, Ecological indicators for stream restoration success, Ecological Indicators, 30, 106-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2013.01.039
- Peh, K. S. H., 2010, Invasive species in Southeast Asia: the knowledge so far, Biodiversity and Conservation, 19(4), 1083-1099. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-009-9755-7
- Rebelo, L.M., Johnston, R., Hein, T., Weigelhofer, G., Dhaeyer, T., Kone, B., Cools, J., 2012, Challenges to the integration of wetlands into IWRM: The case of the Inner Niger Delta(Mali) and the Lobau Floodplain(Austria), Environmental Science & Policy, 34, 58-68.
- Rydgren, K., Halvorsen, R., Auestad, I., Hamre, L. N., 2013, Ecological design is more important than compensatory mitigation for successful restoration of alpine spoil heaps, Restoration Ecology, 21(1), 17-25.
- SERI, 2004, The SER International Primer on Ecological Restoration: Society for Ecological Restoration International, http://www.ser.org/pdf/ primer3.pdf.
- Soh, M. C. K., Sodhi, N. S., Lim, S. L. H., 2006, High sensitivity of montane bird communities to habitat disturbance in Peninsular Malaysia, Biological Conservation, 129(2), 149-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2005.10.030
- Soomai, S. S., MacDonald, B. H., Wells, P. G., 2013, Communicating environmental information to the stakeholders in coastal and marine policy-making: Case studies from Nova Scotia and the Gulf of Maine/Bay of Fundy region, Marine Policy, 40, 176-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2013.01.017
- van Loon, A. H., Soomers, H., Schot, P. P., Bierkens, M. F. P., Griffioen, J., Wassen, M. J., 2011, Linking habitat suitability and seed dispersal models in order to analyse the effectiveness of hydrological fen restoration strategies, Biological Conservation, 144(3), 1025-1035. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2010.12.021
- Statton, J., Cambridge, M. L., Dixon, K. W., Kendrick, G. A., 2013, Aquaculture of Posidonia australis seedlings for seagrass restoration programs: effect of sediment type and organic enrichment on growth, Restoration Ecology, 21(2), 250-259. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-100X.2012.00873.x
- Suding, K. N., 2011, Toward an era of restoration in ecology: successes, failures, and opportunities ahead, Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, 42, 465-487. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-ecolsys-102710-145115
- Tousignant, M.E., Pellerin, S., Brisson, J., 2010, The relative impact of human disturbances on the vegetation of a large wetland complex, Wetlands, 30(2), 333-344. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13157-010-0019-9
- Wortley, L., Hero, J. M., Howes, M., 2013, Evaluating ecological restoration success: a review of the literature, Restoration Ecology, 21(5), 537-543. https://doi.org/10.1111/rec.12028
- Zanou, B., Kontogianni, A., Skourtos, M., 2003, A classification approach of cost effective management measures for the improvement of watershed quality, Ocean & Coastal Management, 46(11-12), 957-983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2004.01.003
- Zedler, J. B., Callaway, J. C., 1999. Tracking Wetland Restoration: Do Mitigation Sites Follow Desired Trajectories? Restoration Ecology 7, 69-73. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1526-100X.1999.07108.x
- Zedler, J. B., Callaway, J. C., 2000, Evaluating the progress of engineered tidal wetlands, Ecological Engineering, 15(3-4), 211-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-8574(00)00077-X
- Zhang, H., Cui, B., Ou, B., Lei, X., 2012, Application of a biotic index to assess natural and constructed riparian wetlands in an estuary, Ecological Engineering, 44, 303-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.04.022
Supported by : National Institute of Ecology (MOE)