- Volume 38 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Controller Design and Validation of Radial Active Magnetic Bearing Systems Considering Dynamical Changes Due To Rotational Speeds
회전속도에 따른 동역학적 변화를 고려한 반경방향 능동 자기베어링 시스템의 제어기 설계 및 검증
- Jeong, Jin Hong (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Yoo, Seong Yeol (Maritime & Ocean Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology) ;
- Noh, Myounggyu (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2013.08.10
- Accepted : 2014.06.23
- Published : 2014.09.01
If a rotor possesses a high gyroscopic coupling or the running speed is high, the dynamical changes in the rotor become prominent. When active magnetic bearings are used to support such rotors, it is necessary for the bearing controller to take these dynamical changes into consideration. Independent-axis controllers, which are the most commonly used, modulate the bearing force solely based on the sensor output of the same axis. However, this type of controller has difficulties in overcoming the dynamical changes. On the other hand, mixed-axis controllers transform the sensor output into components corresponding to the vibrational modes. A separate controller can then be designed for each vibrational mode. In this way, the controller can be designed based on the dynamics of the rotor. In this paper, we describe a design process for a mixed-axis controller that uses a detailed mathematical model of the system. The performance of the controller is evaluated based on the ISO sensitivity requirements and unbalance response, while considering the change in the system dynamics due to the running speed.
Active Magnetic Bearing;Mixed-Axis Control;Independent-Axis Control;Control Design
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Cloud, C., Li, G., Maslen, E. and Barret, L., 2005, "Practical Applications of Singular Value Decomposition in Rotordynamics," Australian J. Mech. Eng., Vol. 2, pp. 21-32. https://doi.org/10.1080/14484846.2005.11464477
- Takahashi, N., Fujiwara, H., Matsushita, O., Ito, M. and Fukushima, Y., 2007, "An Evaluation of Stability Indices Using Sensitivity Functions for Active Magnetic Bearing Supported High-Speed Rotor," J. Vib. Acoust., Vol. 129, pp. 230-238. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2424979
- Ito, M., Fujiwara, H., Takahashi, N. and Matsushita, M., 2005, "Evaluation of Stability Margin of Active Magnetic Bearing Control System Combined with Several Filters," Proc. 9th Int. Symp. Mag. Brg., Lexington KY, U.S.A.
- ISO Standard 14839-3, Mechanical Vibration - Vibration of Rotating Machinery Equipped with Active Magnetic Bearing: Part 3 - Evaluation of Stability Margin, 2006.
- Nelson, H. and McVaugh, J., 1976, "The Dynamics of Rotor-Bearing Systems Using Finite Elements," ASME J. Eng. Ind., Vol. 98, pp. 593-600. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3438942
- Childs, D., 1993, Turbomachinery Rotordynamics, New York, John Wiley & Sons.
- Yoo, S. and Noh, M., 2013, "Comparative Study of Performance of Switching Control and Synchronous Notch Filter Control for Active Magnetic Bearings," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 511-519. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.4.511
- Maslen, E. H. and Meeker, D. C., 1995, "Fault Tolerance of Magnetic Bearings by Generalized Bias Current Linearization," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 31, pp. 2304-2314. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.376229
- Yoo, S., Lee, W., Bae, Y. and Noh, M, 2011, "Optimal Notch Filter for Active Magnetic Bearing Controllers," IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Adv. Intell. Mechatr. (AIM2011), pp. 707-711.
- Schweitzer, G. and Maslen, E. H., eds., 2009, Magnetic Bearings, Springer, New York.
- ISO Standard 1940, Mechanical Vibration - Balancing Quality Requirements of Rigid Rotors, 1986.