- Volume 38 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
An Optimal Design of a Pedestrian Safety System Using a Design Scenario
설계방법론을 이용한 보행자 보호 시스템의 최적설계
- Yun, Yong Won (School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Park, Gyung Jin (School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.)
- Received : 2014.04.10
- Accepted : 2014.06.09
- Published : 2014.09.01
Vehicle-into-pedestrian traffic accidents show a very high mortality rate compared to their frequency of occurrence. Throughout the world, governments and insurance companies tend to establish and implement new safety standards for pedestrian protection. In order to improve the performance of pedestrian protection, the Korean government has evaluated the pedestrian safety of vehicles under the Korea New Car Assessment Program (K-NCAP) since 2007. The pedestrian protection performance has improved gradually, but it remains insufficient. A pedestrian protection system consisting of a hood lift system and a pedestrian airbag can be a solution to pedestrian safety. A pedestrian airbag design procedure based on a newly defined design scenario is introduced to reduce the head injury criterion of pedestrians. The proposed design scenario is discussed from a practical viewpoint and applied to manufacture pedestrian protection systems.
Supported by : 한국건설교통기술평가원
- 2013, Road Traffic Authority, Traffic Accident Statistical Analysis.
- Construction and Transportation Research Report, 2008, "Development of Advanced Vehicle for Pedestrian Safety," R&D/03-Safety-11, Ministry of Land Transport and Maritime Affairs.
- 2014, European New Car Assess Program, http//www.euroncap.com/home.aspx, European Commission.
- 2014, Korea New Car Assessment Program, http://www. car.go.kr/jsp/kncap/introduction, Ministry of Land Transport and Maritime Affairs.
- Ashton, S. J., Pedder, J.B. and Mackay, G M., 1977, "Pedestrian Injuries and the Car Exterior," SAE, 770092.
- Clemo, K. and Davies, R., 1998, "The Practicalities of Pedestrian Protection," 16th ESV Conference, 98-S10-P-16.
- Krenn, M., Mlekusch, B., Wilfling, C., Dobida, F. and Deutscher, E., 2003, "Development and Evaluation of a Kinematic Hood for Pedestrian Protection," World Congress & Exhibition, 2003-01-0897, Detroit, MI, USA.
- Nagatomi, K., Hanayama, K., Ishizaki, T., Sasaki, S. and Matsuda, K., 2005, "Development and Full-scale Dummy Tests of a Pop-up Hood System for Pedestrian Protection," 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, pp.6-9.
- Shin, M. K., Park, K. T., Lee, K. B., Bae, H. I. and Park, G. J., 2006, "Design of the Active Hood Lift System Using Orthogonal Arrays," Transactions of KSAE, Vol.14, No.4, pp.123-131.
- Yoo, W. D., Ham, J. S. and Cho, K. S., 2012, "Development and Feasible Study of Train to Pedestrian Protection Airbag," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 82-91. https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2012.20.4.082
- 2012, "LS-DYNA Keyword User's Manual," Livermore, California : Livermore Software Technology Corporation, USA.
- 2011, "PIAnO User's Manual," PIDOTECH Inc., Seoul, Korea.
- Yoon, S. J. and Choi, D. H., 2010, "Process Integration and Design Optimization Using PIAnO Software," KSME Spring Annual Meeting.
- Kim, J. H., Lee, K. H. and Joo, W. S., 2004, "Optimization of a Driver-side Airbag Using Kriging and Tabu Search Method," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 19, No.1, pp.1035-1040.