- Volume 14 Issue 8
Globalisation has intensified the international movement of labour and South Korea is no exception. Korea, which in the past was itself a labour-exporting country, has seen a reversal in human mobility since the late 1990's with a rapid growth in immigration and a transformation of a previously almost ethnically homogenous society. In this context, the important questions about the cultural and political implications associated with the construction of minority representations in the media have remained highly unexplored. The starting point of this study is an examination of the vital role of public service broadcasting (PSB) in Korean society, where ethnic minorities have increasingly become visible. The study shows the significant role of PSB in representing cultural diversity in public debates and the ways in which such representations and their dissemination reflect media power.
Television Content;Public Service Broadcasting;Cultural Diversity;Representation;Ethnic Minority
- M. Entman, "Representation and Reality in the Portrayal of Blacks on Network Television News," Journalism Quarterly, Vol.71, No.3, pp.509-520, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769909407100303
- K. Avery, Public Service Broadcasting in a Multichannel Environment: The History and Survival of an Ideal, New York: Longman, 1993.
- M. Campion, Look Who's Talking: Cultural Diversity Public Service Broadcasting and the National Conversation, Oxford: Nuffield College Oxford, 2005.
- C. Campbell, Race, Myth and the News, London: Sage. 1995.
- C. Christensen, Public Service and Commercial Television News in Sweden: Ideas and Influences, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Texas at Austin, 2001.
- S. Cottle, Ethnic Minorities and the British News Media: Explaining (Mis)Represenatation, In J. Stoke and A. Reading (eds.), The Media in Britain: Current Debates and Developments, London: Macmillan Press, 1999.
- J. Downing and C. Husband, Representing 'Race', London: Sage, 2005.
- N. Fairclough, Discourse and Social Change, Cambridge: Polity Press, 1992.
- P. Golding, The Missing Dimensions: News Media and the Management of Social Change, In E. Katz and T. Szecsko (eds.), Mass Media and Social Change, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, pp.63-81, 1981.
- D. Heider, White News: Why Local News Programs Don't Cover People of Color, Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2000.
- J. Harrison, Terrestrial TV News in Britain: The Culture of Production, Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000.
- S. Head, "Content Analysis of Television Drama Programs," Quarterly of Film, Radio, and Television, Vol.9, No.2, pp.175-194, 1954. https://doi.org/10.2307/1209974
- P. Ramsey, "Public Service Broadcasting and the Public Sphere: Normative Arguments from Habermasian Theory," Journal of the MeCCSA Postgraduate Network, Vol.3, No.2, pp.1-14, 2010.
- http://kosis.kr/eng/database/database_001000.jsp? listid=B&subtitle=Population, Household#jsC lick, Accessed 17/02/2011.
- Kyung-Hee Kim, "The Representation of Immigrants in Narratives of TV News," Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommmunication Studies, Vol.23, No.3, pp.7-46, 2009.
- M. Montgomery, The Discourse of Broadcast News: A Linguistic Approach, London: Routledge, 2007.
- M. Raboy, Public Service Broadcasting in the Context of Globalisation, In M. Raboy (ed.), Public Broadcasting for the 21stCentury, Luton: John Libbey Media, 2003.
- J. Seggar and P. Wheeler, "The World of Work on Television: Ethnic and Sex Representation in TV Drama," Journal of Broadcasting, Vol.17, pp.201-214, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838157309363684
- J. Shoemaker and P. Vos, Gatekeeping Theory, New York: Routledge, 2009.
- T. van Dijk, News As Discourse, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1988.
- J. Westerstahl, "Objective News Reporting," Communication Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp.403-424, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365083010003007
- C. Wright, Mass Communication: A Sociological Perspective, New York: Random House, 1959.
- J. H. Yang, "Representation of Migrating Women: News Depiction of Inter-racially Married Asian Women to Korean Men," Media, Gender and Culture, Vol.7, pp.47-77, 2007.