- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Environmental Education Contents in Science Textbook between Korea and Illinois State in USA - Focused on Environmental Education Contents of 3rd~6th Grades -
미국 일리노이주와 한국의 과학교과서에 나타난 환경교육 내용 비교 분석 - 3~6학년 환경교육 내용을 중심으로 -
- Park, Heonwoo (Chuncheon National University of Education)
- 박헌우 (춘천교육대학교)
- Received : 2014.06.04
- Accepted : 2014.08.22
- Published : 2014.08.31
Environmental education contents in science textbooks of South Korea and the United States were compared and analyzed in order to find how to develop environmental education in elementary science education. McGraw-Hill science textbooks for third to sixth grade and science textbooks of Korea based on the 2009 Revised National Curriculum and the 2007 Revised National Curriculum were analyzed and compared. The categories were educational goals, kinds of contents, distributions of contents and tense. The result showed that the environmental education goals in science textbook of Korea and United States were biased to knowledge area. The educational contents of the United States was higher 2.5 times then Korea and distributed in all areas. In quantitative distributions in Korea were biased some special areas. Tense of educational contents were almost present. Attitudes and recognition of students varies gradually over a long period of time, the contents of environmental education will be useful "evenly distributed" for all areas and school year.
Supported by : 춘천교육대학교
- A case study: Eight publishers own 90% of top textbooks sold on Amazon.com. Retrived August 04, 2014, from http://textbookequity.org/a-case-study-amazon-com-college-textbook-prices-1915-2010-to-2012/.
- Caravita, S., Valente, A., Pace, P., Valanides, N, Khalil, I., Berthou, G., Kozan-Naumescu, A. & Clement, P. (2008). Construction and validation of textbook analysis grids for ecology and environmental education. Science Education International, 19(2), 97-116.
- Chang, H. J. & Shin, Y. J. (2006). The effect of fieldexperience learning activities program for the integrated textbook on the environmental attitude of elementary school students. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 24(5), 495-503.
- Chang, K. A. & Cha, H. Y. (2006). Development of ecology experience program focused on bird watching in tidal flats of southern Gang-Hwa island. Biology Education, 34(4), 439-452.
- Cho, Y. G. (2001). A study on the development of a model in the environmental ethics education for establishing eco-centered life values. The Environmental Education, 14(1), 1-18.
- Choi, B. H. (2005). The comparative analysis on the contents of environmental study of high school science textbook following the 7th curriculum on education. Yonsei University Graduate School of Education.
- Choi, H. S., Shim, K. C., So, K. H. & Yeau, S. H. (2010). A survey of pre-service elementary teachers' perceptions, attitudes and practical intention toward sustainable development. The Environmental Education, 23(2), 129-144.
- Daniel, L. H., Hackett, J., Moyer, R. H. & Vasquez, J. (2005). 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Science. New York: Macmillan/McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.
- Finger, M. (1994). From knowledge to action? Exploring the relationships between environmental experiences, learning, and behavior. Journal of Social Issues, 50(3), 141-160. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1994.tb02424.x
- Hwang, C. W. (2012). A comparative study of environmental problem awareness of university students between Korean and American area in the statistics. Journal of Korean Association of Geographic and Environmental Education, 20(2), 69-83. https://doi.org/10.17279/jkagee.2012.20.2.69
- Jang, M. J. & Yun, S. J. (2012). The formation and identify of environmental education movements in Korea. Korean Association of Geographic and Environmental Education, 20(2), 85-105.
- Jeung, M. G. (2004). What will the correct definitions of environment Bojon and environment Bojeon suggest for environmental education to achieve its goal?. Report of Science Education, 35, 147-160.
- Jung, H., Choi, J. S. & Kim, G. A. (2012). Development of experience-centered environmental programs in urban streams. The Society of Korean Practical Arts Education Korea, 18(4), 229-247. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2012.18.4.229
- Kim, C. K. & Choi, S. B. (2010). The effects of integrated environmental experience program on environmental attitude of elementary schoolers. Journal of Environmental Science International, 19(12), 1409-1419.
- Kim, M. H., Kim, N. I. & Park, H. W. (2013). Effects of environmental education program using traditional culture on elementary school students' environmental attitude. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 32(3), 239-249.
- Kim, T. H., Nam, H. W., Shin, H. C., Shin, H. W. & Cho, K. H. (1999). Study on development of curriculum for environmental education based on the standpoint of ecology. Korean J. Environ. Biol. 17(3), 305-313.
- Ko, S. H. (2003). Development of field-experience environmental education program utilizing tidal flat to cultivate environmental sensitivity. Graduate School of Korea National University of Education.
- Koo, S. K. & Park, I. W. (2012). Analysis of science writing tasks in Korean and American science textbooks. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 31(4), 463-480.
- Kwak, Y. S., Son, J. W. & Ku, K. O. (2014). Research on ways to improve science curriculum focused on key competencies and creative fusion education. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 34(3), 321-330. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.3.0321
- Lee, C. S. (2012). Recent trends and dilemma of STEM education in the United States. Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, 25(4), 101-122.
- Lee, M. B., Han, J. Y. & Jang, E. S. (2002). A case of regional and environmental education of metropolitan city. Journal of Geographic and Environmental Education, 10(1), 65-75.
- Lee, M. C., Kang, M. H., Kim, K. G. & Chung, Y. S. (1997). An international study of environmental knowledge and attitudes of young people-Korea and Australia. The Environmental Education, 19(2), 75-85.
- Lee, M. O. & Choi, D. H. (2005). International comparative study of environmental curriculum. Proceedings of the Korean Society for Environmental Education Conference, 116-122.
- Lee, S. G. (2011). Development of environmental experience programs using local environmental resources. Journal of the Environmental Science, 20(3), 351-360. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2011.20.3.351
- Lee, Y. H. (1996). Trand on environmental education in the selected nations. Journal of Science and Education, 4, 137-152.
- Lim, O. K., Cho, S. H. & Kim, H. N. (2013). A content analysis on education for sustainable development according to the 2007 and 2009 revised elementary school science curriculum. The Korean Society for Environmental Education, 26(4), 565-580.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2012). Elementary Science 5th, 6th Textbook [5, 6학년 과학교과서]. Seoul: Daehan Printing & Publishing Co. Ltd.
- Ministry of Education (2014). Elementary Science 3rd, 4th Textbook [3, 4학년 과학 교과서]. Seoul: Mirae-n Co. Ltd.
- Noh, K. I., Lee, H. D. & Park, H. J. (1998). Trends in environmental education research of Korea. The Environmental Education, 11(2), 69-82.
- Ok, C. Y. (1996). The analysis of environmental education in elementary school curriculum and its development. The Bulletin of Science Education, 21, 1-18.
- Orion, N. (1993). A model for development and implementation of field trips as an integral part of science curriculum. School Science and Mathematics, 93(6), 325-331. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.1993.tb12254.x
- Park, H. W., Park, J. K., Choi, S. Y., Shin, Y. J. & Kim, Y. J. (2008). Participant teachers' needs for outdoor eco-experience program on bird watching activities. Biology Education, 36(3), 314-324. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2008.36.3.314
- Park, S. H. & Youn, S. J. (2005). Realities of environmental education and program oriented social studies. Journal of the Korean Association of Regional Geographers, 11(2), 247-262.
- Park, S. K. & Kim, I. K. (2001). Reconceptualizing the geography subject matter based on the everyday life. Journal of the Korean Geographical Society, 36(1), 1-14.
- Pektas, M., Bahattin Altunoglu, D. & Eksi, C. (2013). An investigation of environmental literacy concepts in Turkish elementary science textbooks. International Journal of Academic Research, 5(3), 353-358. https://doi.org/10.7813/2075-4124.2013/5-3/B.53
- Seo, W. S. (2000). An analysis of the environmental education contents included in the seventh national curriculum for elementary school students. Journal of Korea Society for Plants People and Environment, 3(1), 17-29.
- Seo, W. S., Na, S. I., Jung, C. Y. & Kim, S. U. (1999). A content analysis of the environmental education programs designed for elementary school students. Journal of Korean Agricultural Association, 31(3), 43 - 61.
- Simsek, C. L. (2011). Investigation of environmental topics in the science and technology curriculum and textbooks in terms of environmental ethics and aesthetics. Educational Science: Theory & Practice, 11(4), 2522-2257.
- Son, M. H., Park, H. G. & Cheong, C. (2011). Effects of eco-friendly school project activity on middle school students' environmental awareness. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Education, 24(3), 34-43.
- UNESCO (1985). A Comparative Survey of Environmental Education into School Curricular, UNESCO-UNEP International Environmental Education Programme, Environment Education Series 17. Hamburg: UNESCO.
- Won, H. J. (2012). Study on analysis of ecological environmental science textbooks and the field education programs. Graduate School of Education Konkuk University.
- Yoo, B. S. & Park, B. K. (1997). Analysis and relationship of contents about environment in the science textbooks of primary, middle and high school in Korea. Biology Education, 25(1), 75-87.