- Volume 9 Issue 5
A Simple Power Management Scheme with Enhanced Stability for a Solar PV/Wind/Fuel Cell Fed Standalone Hybrid Power Supply using Embedded and Neural Network Controller
DOI QR Code
Thangavel, S.;Saravanan, S.
- 투고 : 2013.08.07
- 심사 : 2014.03.21
- 발행 : 2014.09.01
This paper propose a new power conditioner topology with intelligent power management controller that integrates multiple renewable energy sources such as solar energy, wind energy and fuel cell energy with battery backup to make best use of their operating characteristics and obtain better reliability than that could be obtained by single renewable energy based power supply. The proposed embedded controller is programmed for maintaining a constant voltage at PCC, maximum power point tracking for solar PV panel and WTG and power flow control by regulating the reference currents of the controller on instantaneous basis based on the power delivered by the sources and load demand. Instantaneous variation in reference currents of the controller enhances the controller response as it accommodates the effect of continuously varying solar insolation and wind speed in the power management. The power conditioner uses a battery bank with embedded controller based online SOC estimation and battery charging system to suitably sink or source the input power based on the load demand. The simulation results of the proposed power management system for a standalone solar/WTG/fuel cell fed hybrid power supply with real time solar radiation and wind velocity data collected from solar centre, KEC for a sporadically varying load demand is presented in this paper and the results are encouraging in reliability and stability perspective.
Embedded control;Fuel cell;Power management;Solar energy;Wind energy
- Michael E. Ropp, Sigifredo Gonzalez, "Development of a MATLAB / simulink model of a single-phase grid-connected photovoltaic system," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 195-202, March 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2008.2003206
- Qian, Z.; Abdel-rahman, O.; Batarse, I. An integrated four - port dc / dc converter for renewable energy applications. IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol.25, no.7, pp. 1877-1887, july 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2043119
- Yaow-Ming Chen; Yuan-Chuan Liu; Feng-Yu Wu. Multi-input dc / dc converter based on the multi winding transformer for renewable energy applications. IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 38, no.4, pp.1096-1104, 2002 https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.800776
- H. Al-Atrash, I. Batarseh, "Boost-Integrated Phase- Shift Full Bridge Converter for Three-Port Interface," Proceedings of the IEEE Power Electronics Specialist Conference 2007, pp.2313-232, 2007.
- Jorge L. Duarte, Marcel Hendrix, Marcelo Godoy Simoes, "Three-port bidirectional converter for hybrid fuel cell systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 22, pp. 480-487, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.889928
- Jan T. Bialasiewicz. Renewable energy systems with photovoltaic power generators: operation and modeling. IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol.55, no.7, pp. 2752-2758, July 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.920583
- Minwon Park, In-Keun Yu, "A novel real-time simulation technique of photovoltaic generation systems using RTDS," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 164-169, March 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.821837
- T. Esram, P. L. Chapman, "Comparison of photovoltaic array maximum power point tracking techniques," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 439-449, June 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874230
- F. Liu, S. Duan, F. Liu, B. Liu, and Y. Kang, "A variable step size INC MPPT method for PV systems," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 55, no.7, pp. 2622-2628, July 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.920550
- Qiang Mei, Mingwei Shan, Liying Liu and Josep M. Guerrero, "Novel improved variable step-size incremental-resistance MPPT method for PV systems," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 2427-2434, June 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2064275
- A. M. Eltamaly, "Modeling of wind turbine driving permanent magnet generator with maximum power point tracking system," Journal of King Saud University - Engineering Science, vol. 19, pp. 223-237, 2007.
- S. M. Barakati, "Modeling and controller design of a wind energy conversion system including a matrix converter," Ph.D. Dissertation, Dept. Elect. Engg. University of Waterloo, Canada, 2008.
- M. H. Hansen, A. Hansen, T. J. Larsen, S. Oye, P. Sorensen, and P. Fuglsang, "Control design for a pitch-regulated, variable speed wind turbine," Riso Nat. Lab., Roskilde, Denmark, Tech. Rep. ENS1363/ 02-0017, 2005.
- B. Ozpineci and L. M. Tolbert, "Simulink Implementation of Induction Machine Model-a Modular Approach," Proceedings of the Electrical Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC 2003), vol. 2, pp. 728-734, 2003.
- S. Sato, A. kawamura, "A New Estimation Method of State of Charge using Terminal Voltage and Internal Resistance for Lead Acid Battery," Proceedings of the power conversion conference (PCC 2002), vol. 2, pp. 565-570, osaka 2002.
- C. Liu, K. T. Chau, J. Z. Jiang, and L. Jian, "Design of a new outer-rotor permanent magnet hybrid machine for wind power generation," IEEE Trans.on Magnetics, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1494-1497, June 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2007.916503
- A. Tapia, G. Tapia, J. Ostolaza, and J. Saenz, "Modeling and control of a wind turbine driven doubly fed induction generator", IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, vol.18, no.2, pp. 194-204, June 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.811727
- K. W. E. Cheng, B. P. Divakar, Hongjie Wu, Kai Ding, and Ho Fai Ho, "Battery - Management system (BMS) and SOC development for electrical vehicles," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 76-88, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2089647
- M. N. Eskander, T. F. El-Shatter, M. T. El-Hagry, "Energy flow and management of hybrid wind / PV / fuel cell generation system," Proceedings of the IEEE 33rd Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC 2002), vol.1, pp. 347-353, 2002.
- Caisheng Wang and H. Nehrir, "Power management of a stand-alone wind / photovoltaic / fuel-cell energy system", Proceedings of the IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting - Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century, pp. 1, 2008.
- A. Hajizadeh, M. A. Golkar, "Fuzzy neural control of a hybrid fuel cell / battery distributed power generation system," IET Journal of Renewable Power Generation, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 402-414, December 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2008.0027
- S. G. Li, S. M. Sharkh, F. C. Walsh, and C. N. Zhang, "Energy and battery management of a plug-in series hybrid electric vehicle using fuzzy logic", IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 3571- 3585, October 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2011.2165571
- Majid Zandi, Alireza Payman, Jean-Philippe Martin, Serge Pierfederici, Bernard Davat, and Farid Meibody- Tabar, "Energy management of a fuel cell / super capacitor / battery power source for electric vehicular applications", IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 433-443, February 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2091433
- A. Yasin, G. Napoli, M. Ferraro, A. Testa, V. Anto nucci, "Fuzzy Logic based management of a Standalone Hybrid Generator", Proceedings of the International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP), pp. 690-696, 14-16 June 2011.
- M. Amirabadi, S. Farhangi, "Fuzzy control of hybrid fuel cell / battery power source in electric vehicle", IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-5, 2006.