- Volume 9 Issue 5
Lightning induced voltage is a major factor that causes interruptions on distribution lines. In this paper, analytical expressions are proposed to evaluate a lightning induced voltage on power lines directly in the time domain without the need to apply any extra conversions. The proposed expressions can consider the widely used current functions and models in contrast to the earlier analytical expressions which had a number of limitations related to the simplification of the channel base current and the current along the lightning channel. The results show that the simulated values based on the proposed method are in good agreement with the previous studies and the proposed expressions can be used for optimizing the insulation and protection level of existing and new lines being designed.
Lightning induced voltage;Lightning;Electromagnetic field;Return stroke
- V. Cooray, The lightning flash: IET Press, 2003.
- M. Uman, The lightning discharge: Dover Pubns, 2001.
- N. Rameli, M. AbKadir, M. Izadi, C. Gomes, and J. Jasni, "Evaluation of lightning induced over-voltage due to variations of channel angle," in Power Engineering and Optimization Conference (PEOCO), 2013 IEEE 7th International, 2013, pp. 184-187.
- M. Izadi, M. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and V. Cooray, "Analytical fields expression due to lightning," in 31st International Conference on Lightning Protection ICLP 2012, 2012.
- M. Izadi, M. Z. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and W. Ahmad.W, "An Analytical Second-FDTD Method For Evaluation of Electric and Magnetic Fields at Intermediate Distances From Lightning Channel," Progress In Electromagnetic Research (PIER), vol. 110, pp. 329-352, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER10080801
- N. Rameli, M. Ab Kadir, M. Izadi, C. Gomes, and J. Jasni, "Evaluation of Lightning Induced Voltage due to the Effect of Design Parameters on Medium Voltage Distribution Line," Jurnal Teknologi, vol. 64, 2013.
- M. Izadi and M. Ab Kadir, "On the Relation between Ground Resistivity and Lightning Induced Voltage Evaluation on the Distribution Lines," presented at the IEEE conference, Istanbul Turkey, 2013.
- F. Rachidi, "Field-to-Transmission Line Coupling Models with Special Emphasis to Lightning-Induced Voltages," presented at the International Colloquium on Power Quality and Lightning, Sarajevo, 2012.
- F. Rachidi, "A review of field-to-transmission line coupling models with special emphasis to lightninginduced voltages on overhead lines," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 54, pp. 898-911, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2011.2181519
- M. Izadi, M. Z. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and W. F. H. Wan Ahmad, "Analytical expressions for electromagnetic fields associated with the inclined lightning channels in the time domain," Electric Power Components and Systems, vol. 40, pp. 414-438, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2011.639130
- M. Akbari, K. Sheshyekani, A. Pirayesh, F. Rachidi, M. Paolone, C. A. Nucci, A. Borghetti, and F. Napolitano, "A full-wave analysis of lightning-induced voltages on distribution lines considering the conductive coupling between the lightning channel and the grounding system," in Lightning Protection (ICLP), 2012 International Conference on, 2012, pp. 1-5.
- A. Andreotti, A. Pierno, V. A. Rakov, and L. Verolino, "Analytical formulations for lightning-induced voltage Calculations," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 55, 2013 2012.
- A. Andreotti, C. Petrarca, V. A. Rakov, and L. Verolino, "Calculation of voltages induced on overhead conductors by nonvertical lightning channels," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 54, pp. 860-870, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2011.2174995
- A. Andreotti, A. Del Pizzo, R. Rizzo, and L. Verolino, "Lightning induced effects on lossy multiconductor power lines with ground wires and non-linear loads- Part I: model," Przeglad Elektrotechniczny (Electrical Review) R, vol. 88, pp. 301-304, 2012.
M. Izadi, A. Kadir, and A. Rahman, "On Comparison between Rusck and Taylor Coupling Models for Evaluation of Lightning Induced Voltage on the Power Lines (
Asia-Pacific Symposium on Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics (APSAEM10))," AEM , vol. 19, pp. S131-S134, 2011.
- M. Izadi, A. Kadir, M. Z. Abidin, and C. Gomes, "Evaluation of Electromagnetic Fields Associated with Inclined Lightning Channel Using Second Order FDTD-Hybrid Methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, vol. 117, pp. 209-236, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER11042103
- H. Sumitani, T. Takeshima, Y. Baba, N. Nagaoka, A. Ametani, J. Takami, S. Okabe, and V. A. Rakov, "3-D FDTD Computation of Lightning-Induced Voltages on an Overhead Two-Wire Distribution Line," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 54,, pp. 1161-1168, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2012.2191558
- A. Andreotti, A. Pierno, and V. A. Rakov, "An Analytical Approach to Calculation of Lightning Induced Voltages on Overhead Lines in Case of Lossy Ground - Part II: Comparison With Other Models," IEEE transactions on power delivery, vol. 28, pp. 1224-1230, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2241085
- Andreotti, Mottola, Pagano, and Verolino, "An Exact Closed - From Solution for Lightning - Induced Over voltage Calculation," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery vol. 24, 2009.
- M. Paolone, C. Nucci, E. Petrache, and F. Rachidi, "Mitigation of lightning-induced overvoltages in medium voltage distribution lines by means of periodical grounding of shielding wires and of surge arresters: modeling and experimental validation," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 19, pp. 423-431, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2003.820196
- L. Mokhnache, A. Boubakeur, R. Kattan, and N. Mziou, "Lightning-Induced Voltages on Overhead Power Lines with the Use of the Hybrid Method: Influence of the Shielding Wire," Przegl d Elektrotechniczny, vol. 86, pp. 57-60, 2010.
- F. Rachidi, "Formulation of the field-to-transmission line coupling equations interms of magnetic excitation field," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 35, pp. 404-407, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/15.277316
- M. Paolone, C. Nucci, and F. Rachidi, "A new finite difference time domain scheme for the evaluation of lightning induced overvoltage on multiconductor overhead lines," IEEE conference, pp. 596-602, 2001.
- C. A. Nucci, "Lightning-induced voltages on overhead power lines. Part II: Coupling models for the evaluation of the induced voltages," Electra, vol. 162, pp. 121-145, 1995.
- M. Izadi, M. Ab Kadir, and M. Hajikhani, "The analytical field expressions associated with lightning channel in presence of ground reflection at striking point," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, vol. 42, pp. 303-317, 2013.
- C. E. R. Bruce and R. H. Golde, "The lightning discharge," Inst Elect Eng-Pt, vol. 2, p. 88, 1941.
- M. A. Uman and D. K. McLain, "Magnetic field of lightning return stroke," Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 74, pp. 6899-6910, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC074i028p06899
- R. D. Jones, "On the Use of Tailored Return-Stroke Current Representations to Simplify the Analysis of Lightning Effects on Systems," IEEE Transactions onElectromagnetic Compatibility, pp. 95-96, 1977.
- E. T. Pierce, "Triggered lightning and some unsuspected lightning hazards(Lightning triggered by man and lightning hazards)," ONR Naval Res. Rev., vol. 25, 1972.
- F. Heidler, "Analytische Blitzstromfunktion zur LEMPBerechnung," presented at the 18th ICLP Munich, Germany, 1985.
- M. Izadi and M. Kadir, "New Algorithm for Evaluation of Electric Fields due to Indirect Lightning Strike," CMES: Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, vol. 67, pp. 1-12, 2010.
- Nucci. C. A, Diendorfer. G, Uman. M, Rachidi. F, and Mazzetti. C, "Lightning return-stroke models with channel-base specified current: a review and comparison," Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 95, pp. 20395-20408, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1029/JD095iD12p20395
- M. Izadi, M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, and M. Hajikhani, "Considering on the Ground Reflection Effect on the Electromagnetic Fields due to Lightning Channel," J Electr Eng Technol vol. 8, 2013.
- M. Izadi, M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, V. Cooray, and J. Shoene, "Evaluation of lightning current and velocity profiles along lightning channel using measured magnetic flux density," Progress In Electromagnetics Research (PIER), vol. 130, pp. 473-492, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER12060612
- M. Izadi, M. Z. A. A. Kadir, C. Gomes, and W. F. W. Ahmad, "Numerical expressions in time domain for electromagnetic fields due to lightning channels," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, vol. 37, pp. 275-289, 2011.
- M. Izadi, M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and V. Cooray, "Evaluation of lightning return stroke current using measured electromagnetic fields," Progress In Electromagnetics Research (PIER), vol. 130, pp. 581- 600, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER12060712
- A. Mimouni, Z. E. Azzouz, and B. Ghemri, "Lightninginduced overvoltages on overhead lines: Modelling and experimental validation," Journal of Electrical Engineering-Elektrotechnicky Casopis, vol. 58, pp. 146-151, 2007.
- H. Ming Ren, B. Hua Zhou, V. Rakov, L. Hua Shi, C. Gao, J. Hua Yang, "Analysis of Lightning-Induced Voltages on Overhead Lines Using a 2-D FDTD Method and Agrawal Coupling Model," IEEE Transactions On Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 3, August 2008.
- 1. The influence of lightning induced voltage on the distribution power line polymer insulators vol.12, pp.2, 2017, doi:10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1694