- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Bioaerosols in Public Restrooms
화장실 공기 중 미생물 분포 조사연구
- Kim, Jong-Gyu (Department of Public Health, Keimyung University) ;
- Kim, A-Hyeok (Department of Public Health, Keimyung University) ;
- Kim, Joong-Soon (Department of Industrial and Management Engineering, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2014.06.01
- Accepted : 2014.07.15
- Published : 2014.08.31
Objectives: This study was performed to examine bioaerosols in indoor air in public restrooms, as well as to assess the effects of air temperature and relative humidity on bioaerosol levels. Methods: A cross-sectional survey was performed in ten male and ten female restrooms. An air sampler (Anderson type) was used for sampling total suspended bacteria (TSB), Gram-negative bacteria (GNB), Gram-positive bacteria (GPB), opportunistic bacteria (OP), Staphylococcus spp., and total suspended fungi (TSF). Results: The levels of TSB were
- Scott E, Bloomfield SF, Barlow CG. An investigation of microbial contamination in the home. J Hyg Lond. 1982; 89(2): 279-293. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022172400070819
- Sabra SMM. Bacterial public health hazard in the public female restrooms at Taif, KSA. Middle-East J Sci Res. 2013; 14(1): 63-68.
- Flores GE, Bates ST, Knights D, Lauber CL, Stombaugh J, Knight R, et al. Microbial biogeography of public restroom surfaces. PloS One. 2011; 6(11): e28132. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0028132
- Reynolds KA. Germs in the Home Environment: Microorganisms in the Bathroom. Available: http://learnaboutgerms. arizona.edu/germs_in_the_environment. htm. [accessed 14 April 2014].
- Gerba CP, Wallis C, Melnick JL. Microbiological hazards of household toilets: droplet production and the fate of residual organisms. Appl Microbiol. 1975; 30(2): 229-237.
- Barker J, Jones M. The potential spread of infection caused by aerosol contamination of surfaces after flushing a domestic toilet. J Appl Microbiol. 2005; 99(2): 339-347. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2005.02610.x
- Barker J, Bloomfield SF. Survival of Salmonella in bathrooms and toilets in domestic homes following salmonellosis. J Appl Microbiol. 2000; 89(1): 137-144. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2000.01091.x
- Abdullah ASM, Tomlinson B, Cockram CS, Thomas GN. Lessons from the severe acute respiratory syndrome outbreak in Hong Kong. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003; 9(9): 1042-1045. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid0909.030366
- Li Y, Leung GM, Tang JW, Yang X, Chao CYH, Lin JZ, et al. Role of ventilation in airborne transmission of infectious agents in the built environment - a multidisciplinary systematic review. Indoor Air. 2007; 17(1): 2-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0668.2006.00445.x
- Choi HY, Kwon WO, Lee WS, Lee H. Research on bacterial distribution of public lavatory. J Environ Health Sci. 2012; 38(6): 520-528.
- Kim JG, Kim JS. The load of indicator bacteria of sanitary ware in public restrooms. J Environ Health Sci. 2014; 40(1): 63-70.
- Yeon JW, Chang MW, Kim KH. Detection and isolation of genital Mycoplasmas from public toilet bowls. J Bacteriol Virol. 2002; 32(3): 231-237.
- Kim KH, Yee JJ. Applicability of corrugate type absorption filter for elimination of offensive odor substance in the toilet. J Archit Inst Kor Plan Des. 2010; 26(6): 279-286.
- National Institute of Environmental Research. Sampling Method for Microbiological Testing of Indoor Air. Available: http://iaqinfo.nier.go.kr/means/sampling _crowd_facilities.do. [accessed 23 November 2013].
- Kim JG, Park JY, Kim JS. Assessment of bacterial and fungal aerosols in the kitchens of restaurants. J Environ Health Sci. 2014; 40(2): 98-104.
- Lee BU, Hong IG, Lee DH, Chong ES, Jung JH, Lee JH, et al. Bacterial bioaerosol concentrations in public restroom environments. Aerosol Air Qua Res. 2012; 12(2): 251-255.
- Kalwasinska A, Burkowska A, Wilk I. Microbial air contamination in indoor environment of the university library. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2012; 19(1): 25-29.
- Im MJ, Kim SD. A field study on the concentration of suspended microbes by living space. Proceedings of Kor Soc Odor Res Eng. 2005; 11: 50-53.
- Korea Ministry of Government Legislation. Indoor Air Quality Control in Public Use Facilities. Available: http://www.law.go.kr/lsSc.do?menuId=0&p1=&sub-Menu=1&nwYn=1&query=%EB%8B%A4%EC%A4%91&x=0&y=0#liBgcolor0. [accessed 12 February 2014].
- WHO. Household Air Pollution and Health. Available: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs292/en/(2005). [accessed 12 February 2014].
- Park D, Jo K, Yoon C, Han I, Park D. Factors influencing airborne concentration of fungi, bacteria and gram negative bacteria in kindergarten classroom. Kor J Environ Health. 2004; 30(5): 440-448.
- Park D, Yeom J, Lee W, Lee K. Assessment of the levels of airborne bacteria, gram-negative bacteria, and fungi in hospital lobbies. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2013; 10(2): 541-555. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph10020541
- Kim SD. Distribution characteristics of bioaerosol in indoor air of apartments. [dissertation]. [Seoul]: Korea University; 2011.
- Moon KW, Byeon SH, Choi DW, Kim YW, Lee JH, Lee EI. Exposure assessments on biological contaminants in homes of allergy patients - bacteria, fungi, house dust mite allergen and endotoxin. J Environ Health Sci. 2005; 31(2): 120-126.
- Mkrtchyan HV, Russell CA, Wang N, Cutler RR. Could public restrooms be an environment for bacterial resistomes?. PLoS One. 2013; 8(1): e54223. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0054223
- Cleaning Industry Research Institute. Enteric Bacterial Contamination of Public Restrooms. Available: http://www.ciriscience.org/a_67-Enteric_Bacterial_Contamination_of_Public_Restrooms [accessed 14 April 2014].
- Verani M, Biqazzi R, Carducci A. Viral contamination of aerosol and surfaces through toilet use in health care and other settings. Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42(7): 758-762. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2014.03.026
- Kwon MH, Choi KH, Seo SY, Ryu JM, Won SR, Lim JH, et al. A Study on management of major indoor air pollutants by house type in Korea(II) - Indoor air pollutants and health effects in residential detached and multiplex/terraced house. Inchon: NIER Press; 2010. p.13-19.
- Pasanen AL, Kasane JP, Rautiala S, Ikaheimo M, Rantamaki J, Kaariainen H, et al. Fungal growth and survival in building materials under fluctuating moisture and temperature conditions. Int Biodeter Biodegr. 2000; 46(2): 117-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(00)00093-7
- Kulmala M, Asmi A, Pirjola L. Indoor air aerosol model: the effect of outdoor air, filtration and ventilation on indoor concentrations. Atmos Environ. 1999; 33(14): 2133-2144. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00070-9
- Mandal J, Brandl H. Bioaerosols in indoor environment - a review with special reference to residential and occupational locations. Open Environ Biol Monit J. 2011; 4(1): 83-96. https://doi.org/10.2174/1875040001104010083