- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Atmospheric Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs) Deposited on Pine Needles by Age
나이별 소나무 잎에 침착된 대기 중 폴리브롬화디페닐에테르 특성
- Chun, Man-Young (Department of Environmental Engineering, Hankyung National University)
- 천만영 (한경대학교 환경공학과)
- Received : 2014.05.21
- Accepted : 2014.07.15
- Published : 2014.08.31
Objectives: Pine needles are used as passive air samplers (PAS) of atmospheric persistent organic pollutants (POPs). This study was carried out in order to investigate whether pine needles can also be used as a PAS of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs). Methods: PBDEs in one to three year-old pine needles were analyzed with HRGC/HRMS. Results: PBDEs in the atmosphere were accumulated in the pine needles. The rate of increase in concentration of lower substituted PBDEs (tri- through hepta-) in pine needles was linear. The rate of increase of the higher substituted PBDEs (octa- through deca-) was also liner, but only up to two year-old pine needles. The concentration did not increase further in older pine needles. Conclusion: Therefore, it can be concluded that young pine needles, those that are two years old or less, are recommended for use as PAS of atmospheric PBDEs.
- Covaci A, Harrad S, Abdallah MAE, Ali N, Law RJ, Herzke D, et al. Novel brominated flame retardants : A review of their analysis, environmental fate and behaviour. Environ Int. 2011; 37(2): 532-556. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2010.11.007
- Wania F, Dugani CB. Assessing the long range transport potential of polybrominated diphenyl ethers : A comparison of four multimedia models. Environ. Toxicol Chem. 2003; 22(6): 1252-1261. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.5620220610
- Dodder NG, Strandberg B, Hites RA. Concentrations and spatial variations of polybrominated diphenyl ethers and several organochlorine compounds in fishes from the northeastern United States. Environ Sci Technol. 2002; 36(2): 146-151. https://doi.org/10.1021/es010947g
- Hites RA. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in the environment and in people: a meta-analysis of concentrations. Environ Sci Technol. 2004; 38(4): 945-956. https://doi.org/10.1021/es035082g
- Yeo HG, Cho KC, Chun MY. Concentration and characteristic of PBDEs in pine needle and soil of ansung-city. Kor J Environ Health. 2006; 32(2): 111-117.
- Hallgren S, Darnerud OP. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and chlorinated paraffins (CPs) in rat-testing interactions and mechanisms for thyroid hormone effects. Toxicol. 2002; 177: 227-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(02)00222-6
- Eitzer BD, Hites RA. Atmospheric transport and deposition of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans. Environ Sci Technol. 1989; 23(11): 1396-1401. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00069a011
- Gareth T, Sweetman AJ, Ockenden WA, Mackay D, Jones KC. Air-pasture transfer of PCBs. Environ Sci Technol. 1998; 32(7): 936-942. https://doi.org/10.1021/es970761a
- Bacci E, Cerejeira MJ, Gaggi C, Chemello G, Calamari D, Vighi M. Chlorinated Dioxins : Volatillization from soils and bioconcentration in leaves. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 1992; 48(3): 401-408.
- Yeo HG, Choi MK, Chun MY, Kim TW, Sunwoo Y. Temperature dependence of PCBs in urban area of seoul city. J Kor Soc Atmos Environ. 2002; 18(3): 193-204.
- Falconer RL, Bidleman TF. Vapor pressures and predicted particle/gas distributions of polychlorinated biphenyl congeners as functions of temperature and ortho-chlorine substitution. Atmos Environ. 1994; 28(3), 547-554. https://doi.org/10.1016/1352-2310(94)90130-9
- Choi SD, Chang YS. Air monitoring of persistent organic pollutants using passive air samplers. J Kor Soc Atmos Environ. 2005; 21(5): 481-494.
- Shoeib M, Harner T. Characterization and comparison of three passive samplers for persistent organic pollutants. Environ Sci Technol. 2002; 36(19): 4142-4151. https://doi.org/10.1021/es020635t
- Chun MY. A sturdy on the deposition of PCBs in air on coniferous needles. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 1998; 20(10): 1377-1383.
- Chun MY. Sampling rate evaluation of atmospheric PAHs to pine needles for passive air sampler. J Kor Soc Environ Anal. 2011; 14(2): 83-88.
- Chun MY. Characteristics of PCDD/Fs deposited on pine needles. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 2005; 27(6): 599-605.
- Chun MY. Characteristics of PAHs absorbed on pine needles. J Environ Toxicol. 2008; 23(3): 213-220.
- Shim IY, Yeo HG, Choi MK, Kim TW, Chun MY. Spartial distribution of PCBs pine needles. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 2002; 24(12): 2227-2237.
- Aboal JR, Fernandez JA, Carballeira A. Sampling optimization, at site scale, in contamination monitoring with moss, pine and oak. Environ Pollut. 2001; 115(2): 313-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(01)00116-6
- Meredith M, Hites RA. Polychlorinated biphenyl accumulation in tree bark and wood growth rings. Environ Sci Technol. 1987; 21(7): 709-712. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00161a013
- Yeo HG, Choi MK, Chun MY, Kim TW, Sunwoo Y. Estimation of bio-monitering for PCBs concentration in air using plant. J Kor Soc Atmos Environ. 2002; 18(4): 265-274.
- Yeo HG, Cho KC, Choi MK, Chun MY, Kim TW. Deposition characteristics of atmospheric PCBs Depending on Exposure Periods Using Pine needles. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 2006; 28(8): 836-842.
- Guardo AD, Zaccara S, Cerabolini B, Acciarri M, Terzaghi G, Calamari D. Conifer needles as passive biomonitors of the spartial and temporal distribution of DDT from a point source. Chemosphere. 2003; 52(5): 789-797. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(03)00256-X
- Hauk H, Umlauf G, McLachlan MS. Uptake of gaseous DDE in spruce needles. Environ Sci Technol. 1994; 28(13): 2372-2379. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00062a023
- Chun MY. Estimation of PCBs concentrations in ambient air using pine needles as a passive air sampler (PAS). J Environ Health Sci. 2012; 38(4): 360-368. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2012.38.4.360
- Cetin B, Odabasi M. Atmospheric concentrations and phase partitioning of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in Izmir, Turkey. Chemosphere. 2008; 71(6): 1067-1078. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.10.052
- Wang ZY, Zeng XL, Zhai ZC. Prediction of supercooled liquid vapor pressures and n-octanol/air partition coefficients for polybrominated diphenyl ethers by means of molecular descriptors from DFT method. Sci Total Envion. 2008; 389(2-3): 296-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2007.08.023
- Ministry of Environmen. Standard Method of POPs Analysis. Gwacheon: Ministry of Environment Press; 2011.
- US EPA. Brominated Diphenyl ethers in Water, Soil, Sediment and Tissue by HRGC/HRMS. 2011. Available: http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/methods/method/files/1614.pdf [accessed 21 May 2014].
- Yeo HG, Choi MK, Chun MY. Composition, source, and regional concentration of PBDEs in pine needles. J Kor Soc Environ Engin. 2006; 28(8): 829-835.
- Pausch KW, McLachlan MS, Umlauf G. Determination of the Principal Pathways of Polychlorinated Dibenzo-p-dioxins and Dibenzofurans to Lolium multiflorum(Rye Grass). Environ Sci Technol. 1995; 29(4): 1090-1098. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00004a031
- Shoeib M, Haener T. Characterization and comparison of three passive air samplers for persistent organic pollutants. Environ Sci Technol. 2002; 36(19): 4142-4151. https://doi.org/10.1021/es020635t