- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Nutrient Removal in an Advanced Treatment Process using BIO-CLOD
BIO-CLOD를 이용한 고도처리공정에서의 영양염류 제거
- Park, Wan-Cheol (Korea Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Mi-Ae (Biomecca Incorporation) ;
- Sung, Il-Wha (Department of Environmental & Energy Engineering, Gachon University)
- Received : 2014.01.09
- Accepted : 2014.07.30
- Published : 2014.08.31
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of BIO-CLOD on advanced wastewater treatment for enhanced removal efficiency and meeting the stringent discharge water requirements of wastewater treatment plants. Methods: Two experimental apparatuses consisting of anaerobic, anoxic and aeration tanks were operated. One included a BIO-CLOD cultivation tank. Organic and nutrient parameters and removal efficiency were analyzed by pH, BOD, CODcr, SS, T-N and T-P. Results: The average removal efficiencies of BOD, COD and SS from the apparatus with BIO-CLOD tank installation were 95.5%, 88.6% and 92.9%, respectively, and these were higher than the results from the apparatus without BIO-CLOD. The average TP removal efficiency with BIO-CLOD tank marked 56.0%, higher than the 47.3% from the apparatus without one. BIO-CLOD showed a higher performance for TN removal at 49.6%, compared to the result without BIO-CLOD of 34.3% Conclusion: By reaction with BIO-CLOD, ammonia removal was effective in the aeration tank, as was phosphorus release in the anaerobic tank. Phosphorus luxury uptake and nitrification in aeration tank proceeded smoothly. The application of BIO-CLOD can improve the decrease of odor and settleability of activated sludge in a wastewater treatment plant, as well as increase the removal efficiency of organic and nutrient materials in water.
- Ministry of Environment. Environmental statistics yearbook. Available: http://www.webbook.me.go.kr/DLi-File/091/016/5527962-1 2012.pdf [accessed 1August 2013].
- Ministry of Environment. Introduction WSSD. Available: http://me.go.kr/home/web/policy_data/read.do?pagerOffset=130&maxPageItems=10&maxIndexPages=10&search- Key=&searchValue=&menuId=10264&orgCd=&condition.code=A5&seq=4671[accessed 1 August 2013].
- Eom TK. The study for the advanced efficiency of SBR process using Bacillus sp. J Kor Soc Water Sci Tech. 2011; 19(6): 11-19.
- Kim EH, Cho YJ, Park SJ, Shin KS, Yim SB, Jung JK. Advanced wastewater treatment process using rotating activated bacillus contactor (RABC). J Kor Soc Water Qual. 2004; 20(2): 190-195.
- The Korean Association of Biological Sciences. Iwanami's Dictionary of Biology, 2nd ed. Seoul: The Korean Association of Biological Sciences Press; 2001. p.123.
Kim KS, Seo GT, Lee KH, Kim NJ. Comparison of biological phosphorus removal characteristics between A/O and
$A^2$/O process. J Kor Soc Water Qual. 2002; 18(2): 123-130.
- Kim KS, Yoo JS, Ahn KH, Ryu M. Monitoring parameters and P removal metabolism of denitrifying-phosphorus removing bacteria under anoxic condition. J Kor Soc Water Qual. 2009; 17(1): 31-44.
Kim KS, Kim IT. Comparison of phosphorus and nitrogen removal characteristics between
$A^2$/O and modified phostrip processes. J Kor Soc Water Qual. 2005; 21(6): 664-668.
- Kim IT, Kim KS. Application of methanotrophs to anoxic/aerobic and aerobic/anoxic process for advanced waste water treatment. J Kor Soc Water Sci Tech. 2010; 18(3): 69-77.
- Eom TK, Han DY. Removal characteristics of organics, nitrogen and phosphorus according to each HRT of sequencing batch reactor using Bacillus sp. J Kor Soc Water Sci Tech. 2005; 13(3): 21-29.
- Sung IW, Choi YS, Park HS, Yu MJ. Sewage treatment by activated sludge process augmented with additive. J Kor Soc Water Qual. 1994; 10(1): 31-40.
- Park JB, Shin KS, Hur HW, Kang H. Comparison of biological nutrient removal efficiencies on the different types of membrane. J Kor Soc Water Qual. 2011; 27(3): 322-328.
- lee SH. Evaluation for the simultaneous removal of organic matters and nutrients by the RBC and tapered aeration processes with of Bacillus sp. for the high strength of dairy wastewater. J Kor Soc Water Wastewater. 2010; 24(2): 195-202.
- Rice EW, Baird RB, Eaton AD, Clescer LS. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, 21st Ed. Washington DC: AHPA Pub Press; 2005. p.2-18.
- Park HJ. Removal characteristics of total Coliforms in rotating activated Bacillus contactor process[dissertation]. [Seoul]: Hong Ik University; 2003.
- Reynolds TD, Richards PA. Unit operations and processes in environmental engineering, 2nd ed. Texas: PWS Publishing Company Press; 1996. p.452-458.
- Improvement of Sewage Sludge Dewaterability using BIO-CLOD vol.41, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2015.41.5.327