- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Resistance Band Exercise on Body Composition, Physical Fitness and Health Promoting Behavior in Nursing Students
탄성밴드운동이 간호대학생의 체성분, 체력과 건강증진행위에 미치는 효과
- Baek, Hee Chong (Chung-Ang University Red Cross Collge of Nursing) ;
- Lee, Suk Jeong (Chung-Ang University Red Cross Collge of Nursing) ;
- Shin, Gisoo (Chung-Ang University Red Cross Collge of Nursing) ;
- Lim, Eun Ju (Chung-Ang University Red Cross Collge of Nursing)
- Received : 2014.06.16
- Accepted : 2014.08.29
- Published : 2014.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to examine the effects of a resistance band training program on body composition, physical fitness, and health promotion behavior in nursing students. Method: This study has a one-group pretest-posttest design to examine the change in body composition, physical fitness, and health-promoting lifestyle profile after participation in the resistance band training program. Training consisted of hands-based exercises using an elastic resistance band for ten weeks. Participants performed the resistance band training two days per week with a sports trainer, and 30 minutes self-training three days per week. The participants were 21 freshmen in nursing. Results: Mean age of the participants was 20.9 years, and 61.9% were not satisfied with their body shape. After the training program, muscle mass, muscular endurance, and balance of the body were significantly improved. In health promoting lifestyle profile, categories of physical activity, health responsibility, and stress management showed a significant increase. Conclusion: Results of this study suggested that exercising with a resistance band improved body composition, physical fitness, and health promoting behavior in the nursing students. We propose that resistance band training should be suitable for those who have the environment with limitation of time and space.
- An, B. Y., Kim, W. W., & Park, S. Y. (2008). Effects of elastic band and swiss ball exercise in body composition and blood components on obese woman college students. Health & Sports Medicine, 10(1), 17-26.
- Al-Kandari, F., & Vidal., V. L., & Thomas, D. (2008). Health-promoting lifestyle and body mass index among college of nursing students in Kuwait: A correlational study. Nursing & Health Sciences, 10(1), 43-50, http://dx.doi. org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2007.00370.x
- Baek, H. C., Lee, S. J., Go, Y. A., & Yang, S. H. (2011). Factors affecting health promoting lifestyle in nursing students. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 25(1), 73-83.
- Chaung, S. K. (2001). Weight control practice and body image of female college students. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 18(3), 163-175.
- Cicoira, M., Zanoll, L., Franceschini, L., Rossi, A., Golia, G., Zamboni, M., Tosoni, P., & Zardini, P. (2001). Skeletal muscle mass independently predicts peak oxygen consumption and ventilatory response during exercise on noncachetic patients with chronic heart failure. Journal of American College Cardiology, 37(8), 2080-2085. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0735-1097(01)01306-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0735-1097(01)01306-7
- Colado, J. C., Garcia-Masso, X., Pellicer, M., Alakhdar, Y., Benavent, J., & Cabeza-Ruiz, R. (2010). A comparison of elastic tubing and isotonic resistance exercises. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 31(11), 810-817. http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0030-1262808 https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0030-1262808
- Gang, M. H. (2010). Relationship between eating behavior and self-esteem of college nursing students. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 24(1), 126-134.
- Han, K. S., & Kim, G. M. (2007). Comparison to self esteem, family adaptation, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress between nursing and other major university women student. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 16(1), 78-84.
- Hong, I. S. (2005). Effects of 16 weeks elastic band exercise on body composition and fitness of low physical fitness level students in female high school. Korea Sport Research, 16(6), 629-640.
- Hong, S. H. (2013). The Relationship between perceived health status and health promoting behaviors among nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(1), 78-86. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.78
- Hui, W. C. (2002). The health-promoting lifestyles of undergraduate nurses in Hong Kong. Journal of Professional Nursing, 18(2), 101-111, http://dx.doi.org/110.1053/jpnu.2002.32346 https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2002.32346
- Kim, H. D., & Park, J. S. (2006). The effect of an exercise program on body composition and physical fitness in obese female college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36(1), 5-14. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.1.5
- Kim, Y. H., Joung, M. S., & Lee, J. A. (2002). Study on health promoting behavior determinant of nursing students. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 16(2), 285-303.
- Korea Law Service Center. (2014). School Health Act. Retrieved January 30. 2014 from http://law.go.kr/engLsSc.do?menuId=0&subMenu=5&query=#liBgcolor4
- Kwon, M. S., Kang, K. H., & Cho, H. R. (2012). The effects of health education on health promoting behavior, body-image, and self-efficacy of female and male college students. Journal of Military Nursing Research, 30(2), 82-92.
- Lee, J. H., Koo, K. S., & Hong, Y. J. (2013). The effect of method on liberal arts of the physical education that influenced on the physical strength, the action of health control and health promotion of college students. Journal of Korean Entertainment Industry, 7(2), 79-88. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2013.06.7.2.79
- Lee, R. L., & Loke, A. Y. (2005). Health-promoting behaviors and psychosocial well-being of university students in Hong Kong. Public Health Nursing, 22(3), 209-220, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.0737-1209.2005.220304.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0737-1209.2005.220304.x
- Lim, S. W. (2008). X-line: 10 minutes, three times. Seoul: Jungdam Media.
- Park, J. M. (2014). College health programs in Korea. Paper presented at the 52th Spring Open Forum of Sigma Theta Tau Lambda Alpha Chapter-at-Large, Seoul.
- Park, J. Y.(2011). The effects of participation in health exercise program on fitness, health promotimg behavior and happiness for adolescents. The Korean Journal of Sport. 9 (4). 245-254.
- Park, S., & Sunoo, S. (2003). The effects of elastic band training on blood pressure, blood lipids concentration and ADL (Activities of Daily Living) of elderly women by hypertensive for 10 weeks. Korean Journal of School Physical Education, 13(2), 115-127.
- Patterson, R. M., Stegink Jansen, C. W., Hogan, H. A., & Nassif, M. D. (2001). Material properties of Thera-Band Tubing. Physical Therapy, 81(8), 1437-1445. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/81.8.1437
- Seo, C. J., Jung, H. S., Jang, S. B., Go, J. W., Go, Y. H., Kwon, H. J., Ro, S. G., Kang, B. S., Kim, G. Y., & Kim. E. J. (2008). Effect of elastic band training on fat of body and physical strength in elderly women. International Journal of Integrative and Alternative Medicine, 4(1), 38-47.
- Shin, D. W., & Jun, J. K. (2007). Effects of elastic band training on body composition and health-related physical fitness of elderly woman for 12 weeks. Journal of Physical Education and Sports Science, 25(1), 161-173. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640410600598505
- Walker, S. N., Sechrist, K. R., & Pender, N. J. (1995). The Health Promoting Lifestyle Profile II. Omaha: University of Nebraska Medical center, College of Nursing.
- Wu, T. Y., & Pender, N. (2002). Determinants of physical activity among Taiwanese adolescents: An application of the health promotion model. Research in Nursing & Health, 25, 25-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.10021 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.10021
- Stress, Interpersonal Competence and Health Promotion Behavior of Health Allied Undergraduate Students vol.29, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.3.463
- The Effects of a Campus Forest-Walking Program on Undergraduate and Graduate Students’ Physical and Psychological Health vol.14, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14070728
- Body Composition and Dietary Self-efficacy of Nursing Students vol.23, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2016.23.2.95