- Volume 4 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of Leea asiatica leaves against acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in rats
Sen, Saikat;De, Biplab;Devanna, N.;Chakraborty, Raja
- Received : 2014.01.14
- Accepted : 2014.08.23
- Published : 2014.08.31
Leea asiatica (L.) Ridsdale, a folk medicinal plant is used by the ethnic people of North East India for the treatment of hepatic disorder. In this study, we have investigated the hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of L. asiatica leaves against acetaminophen induced hepatotoxicity. Methanol extract of L. asiatica (150 and 300 mg/kg/day, p.o.) were administered to rats for three consecutive days followed by single acetaminophen (3000 mg/kg, p.o.) administration on
- Hsu CL, Yen GC. Effect of gallic acid on high fat diet-induced dyslipidaemia, hepatosteatosis and oxidative stress in rats. Br J Nutr. 2007;98:727-735.
- Bhandary MJ, Chandrashekar KR, Kaveriappa KM. Medical ethnobotany of the Siddis of Uttara Kannada district, Karnataka, India. J Ethnopharmacol. 1995;47:149-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(95)01274-H
- Burczynski FJ, Wang G, Nguyen D, Chen Y, Smith HJ, Gong Y. Silymarin and hepatoprotection. Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2012;37:6-10.
- Goyal R, Ravishankar B, Shukla VJ, Singh M. Hepatoprotective activity of Rohitaka ghrita against paracetamol induced liver injury in rats. Pharmacologia. 2012;3:227-232. https://doi.org/10.5567/pharmacologia.2012.227.232
- Huo HZ, Wang B, Liang YK, Bao YY, Gu Y. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant effects of licorice extract against CCl4-induced oxidative damage in rats. Int J Mol Sci. 2011;12:6529-6543. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms12106529
- James LP, Mayeux PR, Hinson JA. Acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxcity. Drug Metab Dispos. 2003;31:1499-1506. https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.31.12.1499
- Kesiova M, Alexandrova A, Yordanova N, Kirkova M, Todorov S. Effects of diphenhydramine and famotidine on lipid peroxidation and activities of antioxidant enzymes in different rat tissues. Pharmacol Rep. 2006;58:221-228.
- Khynriam D, Prasad SB. Hematotoxicity and blood glutathione levels after cisplatin treatment of tumor-bearing mice. Cell Biol Toxicol. 2001;17:357-370. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013784115683
- Olaleye MT, Akinmoladun AC, Ogunboye AA, Akindahunsi AA. Antioxidant activity and hepatoprotective property of leaf extracts of Boerhaavia diffusa Linn against acetaminophen-induced liver damage in rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010;48:2200-2205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.05.047
- Manokaran S, Jaswanth A, Sengottuvelu S, Nandhakumar J, Duraisamy R, Karthikeyan D, Mallegaswari R. Hepatoprotective activity of Aerva lanata Linn. against paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Res J Pharm Technol. 2008;1:398-400.
- McConnachie LA, Mohar I, Hudson FN, Ware CB, Ladiges WC, Fernandez C, Chatterton-Kirchmeier S, White CC, Pierce RH, Kavanagh TJ. Glutamate cysteine ligase modifier subunit deficiency and gender as determinants of acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Toxicol Sci 2007;99:628-636. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfm165
- Misra HP, Frisovich I. The role of suopetroxide anion in the antioxidant of epinephrine and simple assay for SOD. J Biol chem. 1972;247:3170-3175.
- Pradhan SC, Girish C. Hepatoprotective herbal drug, silymarin from experimental pharmacology to clinical medicine. Indian J Med Res. 2006;124:491-504.
- Prasad PR, Reddy CS, Raza SH, Dutt CB. Folklore medicinal plants of North Andaman Islands, India. Fitoterapia. 2008;79:458-464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fitote.2008.03.007
- Raphael RK. Pharmacological activity of plant derived drugs and the mechanism of action (with special reference to Phyllanthus amarus schum & thonn). (Kottayam, India: Mahatma Gandhi University), pp. 58-59, 2004.
- Ray SD, Mumaw VR, Raje RR, Fariss MW. Protection of acetaminophen-induced hepatocellular apoptosis and necrosis by cholesteryl hemisuccinate pretreatment. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1996;279:1470-1483.
- Saenjum C, Kadchumsang S, Chansakaow S, Suttajit M, Chaiyasut C. Screening of Lanna medicinal plants with anti-inflammatory property assessed by free radical scavenging activities. Asian J Pharm Sci. 2007;3:65-73.
- Sen S, De B, Devanna N, Chakraborty R. Cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in mice: protective role of Leea asiatica leaves. Ren Fail. 2013;35:1412-1417. https://doi.org/10.3109/0886022X.2013.829405
- Sen S, Chakraborty R, De B, Devanna N. An ethnobotanical survey of medicinal plants used by ethnic people in West and South district of Tripura, India. J Forestry Res. 2011;22:417-426. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11676-011-0184-6
- Sen S, Chakraborty R. The role of antioxidants in human health. In Oxidative Stress: Diagnostics, Prevention, and Therapy. Silvana A, Hepel M ed. (Washington, USA: American Chemical Society), pp. 1-37, 2011.
- Sen S, De B, Devanna N, Chakraborty R. Anthelmintic and in vitro antioxidant evaluation of fractions of methanol extract of Leea asiatica leaves. Anc Sci Life. 2012;31:101-106. https://doi.org/10.4103/0257-7941.103184
- Ramachandra Setty S, Quereshi AA, Viswanath Swamy AH, Patil T, Prakash T, Prabhu K, Veeran Gouda A. Hepatoprotective activity of Calotropis procera flowers against paracetamol-induced hepatic injury in rats. Fitoterapia. 2007;78:451-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fitote.2006.11.022
- Singh A, Bhat TK, Sharma OP. Clinical biochemistry of hepatotoxicity. J Clin Toxicol. 2011;S4:001.
- Yen F, Wu TH, Lin LT, Lin CC. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant effects of Cuscuta chinensis against acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2007;111:123-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2006.11.003
- Singh A, Handa SS. Hepatoprotective activity of Apium graveolens and Hygrophila auriculata against paracetamol and thioacetamide intoxication in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 1995;49:119-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(95)01291-5