- Volume 58 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Teaching-Learning Effects Using Self-Regulated Learning Strategy: For Students of Scientific High School
자기조절학습 전략을 이용한 교수-학습 효과:과학고 학생들을 중심으로
Jeong, Si Hwa;Kwak, Ock Keum;Kim, Bong Gon;Park, Jong Keun
- Received : 2014.05.07
- Accepted : 2014.07.23
- Published : 2014.10.20
The purpose of this study is to investigate the teaching-learning effects in the experimental classes for the 'Redox' unit of science textbook of 11th grade using self-regulated learning strategy. Simultaneously, the effects of teaching-learning through the student's characteristics of the scientific high school were also included. The experimental and the controlled groups were selected by the teaching-learning method established on self-regulated learning strategy and regular laboratory activity based on the teacher' instruction, respectively. The questionaries of the scientific inquiry and scientific attitude were examined by the student. For their achievement, the total score which was obtained from the formative evaluation and performance assessment was utilized. After the laboratory activity for the unit grounded on the self-regulated learning strategy, the mean values of the scientific inquiry, scientific attitude, and achievement by the experimental group were higher than those of the controlled group. There was significant difference between the two groups in the post-test. By the results of the post-test for the experimental group, there has been somewhat relationship between the self-regulated learning strategy and the scientific inquiry, the scientific attitude, and the scientific achievement.
Student's characteristics;Scientific inquiry;Scientific attitudes;Performance assessment;Self-regulated learning strategy
- Ministry of Education and Science Technology. The 2009 Revised National Curriculum of Science; Seoul, Korea, 2009.
- Brown, A. L.; Branford, J. D.; Camoione, J. C.; Ferrara, R. A. Learning, Remembering, and Understanding. In Handbook of Child Psychology: Cognitive Development; Flavell, J. H., Markham, E. H., Eds.; Wiley: New York, 1983.
- Corno, L.; Mandinach, E. B. Educational Psychologist 1983, 18(2), 88. https://doi.org/10.1080/00461528309529266
- Zimmerman, B. J. Contemporary Educational Psychology 1986, 11(4), 307. https://doi.org/10.1016/0361-476X(86)90027-5
- Flavell, J. H. Cognitive development; Prentice-Hall Inc.: Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1979.
- Zimmerman, B. J.; Martinez-Pons, M. American Educational Research Journal 1986, 23(4), 614. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312023004614
- Yang, M. H. The Study on Development and Validation of Self-Regulated Learning Model. Ph.D. Dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2000.
- Senecal, C.; Koestner, R.; Vallerand, R. J. J. Social Psycho. 1995, 135, 607. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.1995.9712234
- Hwang, S. H. The Korean Society for the Study of Elementary Education 2004, 17(2), 345.
- Jeong, M.-S. The Effect of Self-Regulated Learning Program on the Science Process Skill, Achievement, Scientific Attitude, and Inquiry Motivation. Ph.D. Dissertation, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea, 2007.
- Jeong, S. H.; Kim, B. G.; Koo, I. S.; Park, J. K. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2010, 30(6), 681.
- Pines, A. L.; West, L. H. T. Science Education 1986, 70(5), 583. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730700510
- Kim, K.-H. Korean J. Edu. Psychol. 2001, 15(4), 23.
- Kim, M. S.; Han, K. S. J. Gifted/Talented Edu. 2008, 18(1), 23.
- Kim. S.-Y.; Han, K.-S. Korea Youth Research Association 2011, 18(12), 299.
- Jo, S. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2011, 31(6), 958.
- Zimmerman, B. J.; Martinez-Pons, M. Journal of Educational Psychology 1990, 82, 51. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.52
- Lee, J.-K. The Development of a Test of Science Inquiry Skills for High School Students. Master Thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, Korea, 1988.
- Kim, H. S. The Grade Differences of Self-regulated Learning and the Relationship between Self-regulated Learning and Academic Achievement. Ph.D. Dissertation, Mokpo National University, Mokpo, Korea, 2009.
- Song, Y.-W. Effects of Problem-Solving Activities on Science Process Skills and Scientific Attitudes of Middle School Students. Ph.D. Dissertation, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, Korea, 2005.
- Dweck, C. S.; Leggett, E. L. Psychological Review 1988, 95(2), 256. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.95.2.256
- Lee, J.-A.; Park, S.; Kim, Y. J. Gifted/Talented Edu. 2011, 21(3), 773. https://doi.org/10.9722/JGTE.2011.21.3.773
- Kim, H. W. Multivariate Second-Order Latent Growth Modeling of the Longitudinal Relationship between Self-Regulated Learning and Academic Achievement. Ph.D. Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea, 2009.
- Jo, S. J. Korean Soc. Gifted and Talented 2011, 10(3), 33.
- Jeong, J. S.; Chung, W. H. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 1995, 15(3), 284.
- Yang, T.-Y.; Bae, M.-R.; Han, K.-S.; Park, I.-H. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2003, 23(5), 531.
- You, J.-S.; Shim, K.-C. J. Soc. International Gifted in Science. 2007, 1(2), 109.
- Lee, H.-R. J. Korean Earth Sci. Soc. 2011, 32(3), 294. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2011.32.3.294
- Cho, H.-C.; Yu, S.-C. J. Korean Soc. Gifted and Talented 2011, 10(3), 97.
- Cho, E. B.; Paik, S. H. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2006, 26(3), 307.
- Kim, E.-J. Elementary Science Education 2006, 25(2), 179.
- Lee, S.-J.; Bae, J.-H.; Kim, E.-J. Elementary Science Education 2007, 25(5), 567.
- Hwang, S.-W.; Kim, H.-K.; Yoo, J.-H.; Pak, S.-J. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2001, 21(3), 506.
- Kim, Y.-S.; Cho, E.-S.; Chung, W-H. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2002, 22(1), 1.
- Pintrich, P. R. Learning and Individual Difference 1999, 11(3), 335. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1041-6080(99)80007-7
- Kim, S. H.; Kim, K. Y.; Lee, C. H. J. Korea Soc. Math Ed. Ser. A: The Mathematical Education 2005, 44(1), 113.
- Kuhl, J. Volitional Mediators of Cognition-behavior Consistency: Self-regulatory Processes and Action Versus State Orientation. In Action Control from Cognition to Behavior; Kuhl, J.; Bechmann, J. Eds.; Springerlin Berlin Verlag, 1985.
- Kim, Y.; Ryu, S. R. J. Elementary Mathematics Edu. Korea 2010, 14(2), 217.
- Lee, J. M.; Lee, K. H.; Lee, J. H. Korean Soc. Sports Science 2010, 19(4), 609.
- Kim, M. S.; Yoon, C. H.; Cho, S. H. Asian J. Edu. 2005, 6(3), 25.
- Jung, H.-C.; Yoon, C.-H.; Hur, N.-Y. CR 2005-37; Korean Education Development Institute: Seoul, Korea, 2005.
- Yoon, C.-H.; Jung, H.-C. Korean J. Edu. Psychol. 2006, 20(2), 321.
- Newman, R. S. J. Educational Psycho. 1990, 82(3), 71. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.206
- Wilson, J. T. Science Education 1974, 58(1), 127. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730580118
- Lee, J. B. Study on the Correlation among Science Class Grade, Scientific Attitudes, and Science Anxiety of Secondary School Students. Master Thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, Korea, 2000.
- Kim, B.-S.; Kim, Y.-S.; Chung, W-H.; Lee, K.-J. Korean Soc. Bio. Edu. 2001, 29(4), 300.
- Ryou, K. R.; Eom, W. Y.; Choi, S. Y. Korean J. Edu. Psychol. 2010, 24(3), 661.
- Britner, S. L.; Pajares, F. J. Research Sci. Teaching, 2006, 43(5), 485. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20131
- Ryu, S.; Kim, Y.; Lee, J.; Moon, S. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2011, 31(2), 225.
- Ko, Y. K.; Kim, H. K.; Choi, B. S. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Edu. 2006, 26(3), 376.
- Moon, B.-S.; Koh, J.-S. Korean J. Edu. Psychol. 2009, 23(3), 581.
- Lee, S. R. Study on Relation Between Self-regulated Learning Ability and Learning Achievement of Middle School and High School Students. Master Thesis, Kyungwon University, Seongnam, Korea, 2000.
- Marsh, H. W. J. Educational Psycho. 1990, 82(4), 646. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.116
- Jeong, J. Study on Relationship Between Goal Orientation and Self-regulated Learning of the Elementary and Secondary School Students. Master Thesis, Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea, 2005.
- Lee, J. H. Analysis of Learners' Variables Effects on Scientific Thinking and Science Process Skills. Master Thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, Korea, 2000.