- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Postretention stability after mandibular incisor extractions assessed by cast and radiograph - The American Board of Orthodontics cast and radiographic evaluation
모형과 방사선 사진을 이용한 하악 전치 발치 치료의 안정성 평가 - 미국교정학회에서 제시한 방법
- Lee, Jin-Woo (Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, Dankook University)
- 이진우 (단국대학교 치과대학 치과교정학교실)
- Received : 2014.06.20
- Accepted : 2014.08.15
- Published : 2014.09.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the improvement and posttreatment stability of patients treated with extraction of lower incisors. Materials and Methods: The total of 20 patients with extracted lower incisors were analyzed by means of diagnostic models and panoramic x-rays at the time of initial, final and after 2 years of retention period of the treatment. Irregularity index, overjet, overbite, tooth size-arch length discrepancy (TSALD), intercanine width, intermolar width and American Board of Orthodontics cast/radiographic evaluation (ABO-CRE) were analyzed. Statistical analysis was performed using Wilcoxon signed-rank test. Results: After treatment, irregularity index showed significant decrease (P = 0.000). TSALD showed significant increase (P = 0.028). During retention period, irregularity index showed significant increase (P = 0.001). For ABO-CRE, total score showed significant decrease after treatment (P = 0.000) and showed average decreased which was not significant result (P = 0.053). Conclusion: Through evaluation of stability of extraction of lower incisors by means of diagnostic models and panoramic x-rays, it can be concluded that lower incisor extraction treatment had been stable for 2 years after treatment.
Supported by : 단국대학교
- Owen AH. Single lower incisor extractions. J Clin Orthod 1993;27:153-60.
- Kokich VG, Shapiro PA. Lower incisor extraction in orthodontic treatment. Four clinical reports. Angle Orthod 1984;54:139-53.
- Riedel RA, Little RM, Bui TD. Mandibular incisor extraction-postretention evaluation of stability and relapse. Angle Orthod 1992;62:103-16.
- Canut JA. Mandibular incisor extraction: indications and long-term evaluation. Eur J Orthod 1996;18:485-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/18.5.485
- Dacre JT. The long term effects of one lower incisor extraction. Eur J Orthod 1985;7:136-44. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/7.2.136
- Miller RJ, Duong TT, Derakhshan M. Lower incisor extraction treatment with the Invisalign system. J Clin Orthod 2002;36:95-102.
- Valinoti JR. Mandibular incisor extraction therapy. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1994;105:107-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(94)70106-7
- Bahreman AA. Lower incisor extraction in orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod 1977;72:560-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9416(77)90024-0
- Richardson ME. Extraction of lower incisors in orthodontic treatment planning. Dent Pract 1963;14:151-6.
- Salzman J EH. Angle on extraction in orthodontics. Am J Orthod 1963;49:464-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9416(63)90170-2
- Casko JS, Vaden JL, Kokich VG, Damone J, James RD, Cangialosi TJ, Riolo ML, Owens SE Jr, Bills ED. Objective grading system for dental casts and panoramic radiographs. American Board of Orthdontics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1998;114:589-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(98)70179-9
- Little RM, Wallen TR, Riedel RA. Stability and relapse of mandibular anterior alignment-first premolar extraction cases treated by traditional edgewise orthodontics. Am J Orthod 1981;80:349-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9416(81)90171-8
- Farovig E, Zachrisson BU. Effects of mandibular incisor extraction on anterior occlusion in adults with Class III malocclusion and reduced overbite. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1999;115:113-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(99)70337-9
- Aszkler RM, Preston CB, Saltaji H, Tabbaa S. Longterm occlusal changes assessed by the American Board of Orthodontics' model grading system. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2014;145:173-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.10.010
- Miyazaki H, Motegi E, Yatabe K, Isshiki Y. Occlusal stability after extraction orthodontic therapy in adult and adolescent patients. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1998;114:530-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(98)70173-8
- Little RM. The irregularity index: a quantitative score of mandibular anterior alignment. Am J Orthod 1975;68:554-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9416(75)90086-X