- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development of a Switched Reluctance Motor-based Electric AC Compressor Drive for HEV/EV Applications
- Kim, Jaehyuck (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Wonkwang University) ;
- Jeong, Yong-Hoe (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Wonkwang University) ;
- Jeon, Yong-Hee (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Wonkwang University) ;
- Kang, Jun-Ho (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Wonkwang University) ;
- Lee, Seunghun (Kaya Climate Control Corp.) ;
- Park, Jang-Yeop (LC TEK)
- Received : 2014.03.07
- Accepted : 2014.07.08
- Published : 2014.09.30
This paper discusses the development of a 3.5 kW switched reluctance motor (SRM)-based electric air-conditioning (AC) compressor, focusing primarily on the design aspects of the SRM and the integrated controller. In addition to the increased price of rare-earth magnets, SRM's operation capability at high speed and high temperature makes the SRM a viable alternative to the permanent magnet motor for electrically driven automotive air conditioning compressors. A compact and energy efficient scroll compressor is designed and constructed. Two feasible SRM topologies are considered, in terms of efficiency, torque ripple, and acoustic noise. Compact drive electronics are designed and employed to drive the SRM-based compressor. The static and dynamic performance is validated by simulation and experiment.
Supported by : Wonkwang University
- K. Jung, S. Cho, K. Cho, and C. Park, KSAE Conference Proc. 2160 (2011).
- M. Naidu, T. W. Hehl, S. Gopalakrishnan, and L. Wurth, SAE Technical Paper Series, 2005-01-1318 (2008).
- G.-J. Su and J. S. Hsu, Conf. Proc. APEC 719 (2005).
- Delphi, Air Conditioning Compressors,delphi.com/pdf/ contact/brochures/Delphi_Compressors.pdf
- R. Krishnan, Switched Reluctance Motor Drives, CRC Press (2003).
- Trend in Electric Vehicle Market, KETI (2011).
- T. J. E. Miller, Switched Reluctance Motors and Their Control, Magna Physics Publishing and Clarendon Press (1993).
- R. Krishnan, SWITCHED RELUCTANCE MOTOR DRIVE, Modeling, Simulation, Analysis, Design, and Applications (2001).
- V. Radun, IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 31, 1079 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1109/28.464522
- H. Hotta, Refrigeration 83, 964 (2008).
- J. P. Lyons, S. R. MacMinn, and M. A. Preston, Proc. IEEE-IAS'91 (1991).
- R. Visinka, 3-Phase SR Sensorless Motor Control using DSP56F80x, Motorola (2002).
- G. Gallegos-Lopez, P. C. Kjaer, and T. J. E. Miller, IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 34, 832 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1109/28.703987
- Design and Torque Ripple Analysis of Brush-less DC Motor According to Delta Winding Connection vol.20, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4283/JMAG.2015.20.2.166