- Volume 34 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Cultivars and Seeding Dates on Chemical Composition and Energy Content of Switchgrass (Panicumvirgatum L.) in Republic of Korea
Ji, Do-Hyeon;Kim, Byong-Wan;Sargolzehi, Mohammad Mahdi;Kang, Shin-Gon;Lee, Bae-Hun;Peng, Jing-Lun;Nejad, Jalil Ghassemi;Min, Doo-Hong;Sung, Kyung-Il
- 투고 : 2014.03.10
- 심사 : 2014.05.08
- 발행 : 2014.09.30
The objective of this study was to determine the best performing switchgrass (Panicumvirgatum L.) cultivar with three different seeding dates as a bioenergy source in Republic of Korea. Split-plot in time with three replications was performed and three switchgrass cultivars, Carthage (CT), Cave-in-Rock (CIR), and Forestburg (FB) were used in this experiment from 2009 to 2012. Plots were seeded on April 23, May 4, and May 13, 2009 and were harvested once in November each year. No fertilizer was applied to the field for the first year; however, in second and third years (June 2010 and May 2011, respectively), N,
Bioenergy;Cultivar;Seeding date;Republic of Korea;Switchgrass
- Alderson, J.S. and Sharp W.C. 1995. Grass varieties in the United States. CRC Press. pp.194-198.
- AOAC. 1995. Offical methods of analysis. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Bates, G., Keyser P., Harper C. and Waller J. 2008. Using switchgrass for forage. UTBiofuels Initiative. The University of Tennessee Institute for Agriculture. UT extension SP701-B. Available from: https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/documents/SP701-B.pdf
- Beinroth, F.H., Eswaran H. and Reich P.F. 2001. Land quality and food security in Asia. In: Bridges et al. (Eds.). Responses to land degradation, proceedings of the 2nd international conference on land degradiation and desertification, Khon Kaen, Thailand, Oxford press, New Delhi, India.
- Bughrara, S., Leep, R., Min, D.H., Hudson, D. and Dietz, T. 2007. Switchgrass as a Biofuel for Michigan. MSU Extension Bulletin E-2987. p. 4.
- Casler, M., Vogel, K., Taliaferro, C. and Wynia, R. 2004. Latitudinal adaptation of switchgrass populations. Crop Science 44:293-303. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2004.2930
- Christian, D., Riche A. and Yates N. 2002. The yield and composition of switchgrass and coastal panic grass grown as a biofuel in Southern England. Bioresource Technology 83:115-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(01)00201-2
- Dewald, C., Henry, J., Bruckerhoff, S., Ritchie, J., Dabney, S., Shepherd, D., Douglas, J. and Wolf, D. 1996. Guidelines for establishing warm season grass hedges for erosion control. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 51:16-20.
- Gadberry, S. 2004. Composition of some livestock feeds, cooperative extension service, University of Arkansas, US department of agriculture, and county governments cooperating, Extension Publication FSA3043. Available from: http://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-3043.pdf
- Garland, C.D. 2008. Growing and harvesting switchgrass for ethanol production in Tennessee. University of Tennessee, Department of Agricultural Economics, Extension Publication SP701-A. Available from: http://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/spfiles/SP701-A.pdf.
- Lee, K.H., Moon, H.S., Kim, M.H., Koo, H.N., Park, J.Y., Kim, B.Y. and Sung, K.I. 2010. Growth characteristics and chemical composition according to cultivar and harvesting time of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.). Proceeding of Korean society of grassland and forage science. Chungju. Korea. pp. 160-161.
- Lee, J.K., Park, H.S., Hwangbo, S., Kim, W.H., Lim, Y.C., Seo, S., Kim, J.D. and Jang, Y.S. 2010. Effects of different planting dates on growth characteristics, yield and forage quality of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum) in central region. Proceeding of Korean society of grassland and forage science. Chungju. Korea. pp. 162-163.
- Lemus, R., Brummer E.C., Moore K.J., Molstad N.E., Burras C.L. and Barker M.F. 2002. Biomass yield and quality of 20 switchgrass populations in southern Iowa, USA. Biomass and Bioenergy 23:433-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0961-9534(02)00073-9
- Liebig, M.A., Schmer, M.R. and Vogel, K.P., Mitchell, R.B. 2008. Soil carbon storage by switchgrass grown for bioenergy. Bio Energy Research 1:215-222.
- McLaughlin, S. 1992. New switchgrass biofuels research program for the Southeast. Proceedings of the Annual Automobile Technology Development Contractors' Coordination Meeting, Dearborn, Michigan, November 2-5, 1992. pp. 111-115.
- McLaughlin, S., Samson, R., Bransby, D. and Wiselogel, A. 1996. Evaluating physical, chemical, and energetic properties of perennial grasses as biofuels. Proc. Bioenergy. pp. 1-8.
- McLaughlin, S., Bouton, J., Bransby, D., Conger, B., Ocumpaugh, W., Parrish, D., Taliaferro, C., Vogel, K. and Wullschleger, S. 1999. Developing switchgrass as a bioenergy crop. Perspectives on new crops and new uses. pp. 282-299.
- McLaughlin, S.B. and Adams Kszos, L. 2005. Development of switchgrass (panicum virgatum) as a bioenergy feedstock in the United States. Biomass and Bioenergy 28:515-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2004.05.006
- Mkom, S.L. and Mabiki, F.P. 2011. Theoretical and practical evaluation of Jatropha as energy source biofuel in Tanzania. In: Marco Aurelio dos Santos Bernardes (Ed.), Economic Effects of Biofuel Production, InTech. Rijeka, Croatia. p. 1.
- Parrish, D.J. and Fike J.H. 2005. The biology and agronomy of switchgrass for biofuels. BPTS 24:423-459. https://doi.org/10.1080/07352680500316433
- Rutz, D. and Janssen, R. 2007. Biofuel technology handbook. Munich, Germany, WIP Renewable Energies. p. 128.
- Saha, U.K., Sonon, L.S., Hancock, D.W., Hill, N.S., Stewart, L., Heusner, G.L. and Kissel D.E. 2010. Common terms used in animal feeding and nutrition. p. 3.
- Samson, R. 2007. Switchgrass production in Ontario: A management guide. Resource efficient agricultural production (REAP)-Canada. pp. 1-4.
- Sanderson, M., Reed, R., McLaughlin, S., Wullschleger, S., Conger, B., Parrish, D., Wolf, D., Taliaferro, C., Hopkins A. and Ocumpaugh, W. 1996. Switchgrass as a sustainable bioenergy crop. Bioresource Technology 56:83-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0960-8524(95)00176-X
- Schmer, M.R., Vogel, K.P., Mitchell, R.B. and Perrin, R.K. 2008. Net energy of cellulosic ethanol from switchgrass. Proceedings of the national academy of sciences 105:464-469. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0704767105
- Wright, L. 2007. Historical perspective on how and why switchgrass was selected as a "model" high-potential energy crop. ORNL/TM-2007/109 Oak Ridge, TN: Bioenergy Resources and Engineering Systems. p. 1.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Kangwon National University