- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Congestion Tolls Using the Land Use-Transportation Model When Toll Revenues Are Recycled
세수 재순환과 토지이용-교통모형을 이용한 혼잡통행료 분석방법론
- Rhee, Hyok-Joo (Department of Public Administration, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- 이혁주 (서울과학기술대학교 행정학과)
- Received : 2013.04.05
- Accepted : 2014.05.01
- Published : 2014.08.31
So far, land use-transportation models have been used exclusively for numerical analysis. A recent theoretical endeavor now enables us to derive the first-order derivative of the model's welfare function with respect to policy variables. I extend this methodology into the institutional setting where toll revenues are recycled through labor income tax. In this setting, the first-order derivative is composed of (1) the increase in welfare due to reduced congestion, and (2) the decrease in welfare due to interaction with the existing labor income tax. This result coincides with existing theory in the non-spatial model.
- Anas A., Kim I.-K (1996), General Equilibrium Models of Polycentric Urban Land Use with Endogenoius Congestion and Job Agglomeration, Journal of Urban Economics, 40(2), 232-256. https://doi.org/10.1006/juec.1996.0031
- Bovenberg A. L., De Mooij R. A., (1994), Environmental Levies and Distortionary Taxation, American Economic Review, 94, 1085-1089.
- Browning E. K., (1987), On the Marginal Welfare Cost of Taxation, American Economic Review, 77: 11-23.
- Calthrop E., De Borger B., Proost S. (2007), Externalities and Partial Tax Reform: Does It Make Sense to Tax Road Freight (But Not Passenger) Transport?, Journal of Regional Science, 47(4), 721-752. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9787.2007.00520.x
- De Borger B., Wuyts B. (2009), Commuting, Transport Tax Reform and the Labour Market: Employer-paid Parking and the Relative Efficiency of Revenue Recycling Instruments, Urban Studies, 46, 213-233. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042098008098643
- Diamond P. A. (1973), Consumption Externalities and Imperfect Corrective Pricing, Bell Journal of Economics and Management Science, 4(2), 526-538. https://doi.org/10.2307/3003052
- Dixit A. K., Stiglitz J. E. (1977), Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity, American Economic Review, 67(3), 297-308.
- Goulder L. H., Parry I. W. H., Burtraw D. (1997), Revenue-Raising versus Other Approaches to Environmental Protection: The Critical Significance of Preexisting Tax Distortions, RAND Journal of Economics, 28(4), 708-731. https://doi.org/10.2307/2555783
- Rhee H.-J. (2012), Welfare Function of the Theory-Based Spatial Equilibrium Models and Congestion Tolls, Journal of the Korea Planners' Association, 47(4), 183-192.
- Rhee H.-J. (2013), Analytical Methodology of the Spatial Equilibrium Model with Agglomeration Economies, Journal of Korea Planners Association, 48(1), 181-189.
- Yu S., Rhee H.-J. (2011), A Study of the Welfare of a Spatial Equilibrium Model and the Implications, Journal of Korea Planners Association, 46(4), 199-208.