- Volume 10 Issue 3
The purpose of this study was to analyze the changes in muscle fatigue by using electromyography (EMG) measurements of the median frequency of shoulder muscles of patients who underwent rotator cuff repair, and to provide basic data for efficient exercise methods during rehabilitation after the repair. In the study, 24 male and 8 female patients who underwent rotator cuff repair performed continuous passive shoulder joint motion for 3 weeks and the median frequency of their shoulder muscles before and after the repair were compared using measurements by EMG. The infraspinatus, supraspinatus, and serratus anterior muscles showed significant differences in the changes in the median frequency before and after the repair. Significant differences were also found in the median frequency of the three muscles both before and after the repair. Additionally, the middle deltoid muscle had a lower median frequency than the supraspinatus muscle before the repair and the infraspinatus muscle had a lower median frequency than the middle deltoid muscle after the repair. It is expected that these results will serve as important data in developing rehabilitation exercise programs for the infraspinatus, supraspinatus, and serratus anterior muscles by compensating the middle deltoid muscle with the lowest muscle fatigue after the rotator cuff repair erase.
Continuous Passive Movement;Electromyography;Median Frequency;Muscle Fatique;Rotator Cuff
- L. C. Hall, E. E. Middlebrook, and C. R. Dickerson, "Analysis of the influence of rotator cuff impingements on upper limb kinematics in an elderly population during activities of daily living," Clinical biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 6, 2011, pp. 579-584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2011.02.006
- M. A. Smith and W. T. Smith, "Rotator cuff tears: an overview," Orthopaedic nursing, vol. 29, no. 5, 2010, pp. 319-322. https://doi.org/10.1097/NOR.0b013e3181edd8b6
- J. S. Abrams, "Arthroscopic approach to massive rotator cuff tears," Instructional course lectures, vol. 55, 2006, pp. 59-66.
- G. R. Williams, C. A. Rockwood, L. U. Bigliani, J. P. Iannotti, and W. Stanwood, "Rotator cuff tears: why do we repair them?," The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume, vol. 86, no. 12, 2004, pp. 2764-2776. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-200412000-00027
- S. E. An and B. Kim, "The Effect of Rehabilitation exercise programs on Recoverability of muscle functions following the Arthroscopy surgery performed on Rotator cuff tear," Journal of sport sociology, vol. 11, no. 1, 2013, pp. 301-309.
- R. F. Escamilla and J. R. Andrews, "Shoulder muscle recruitment patterns and related biomechanics during upper extremity sports," Sports medicine, vol. 39, no. 7, 2009, pp. 569-590. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200939070-00004
- P. O. Zingg, B. Jost, A. Sukthankar, M. Buhler, C. W. Pfirrmann, and C. Gerber, "Clinical and structural outcomes of nonoperative management of massive rotator cuff tears," The Journal of bone and joint surgery, vol. 89, no. 9, 2007, pp. 1928-1934. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.F.01073
- A. L. Seitz, P. W. McClure, S. Finucane, N. D. Boardman 3rd, and L. A. Michener, "Mechanisms of rotator cuff tendinopathy: intrinsic, extrinsic, or both?," Clinical biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 1, 2011, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2010.08.001
- D. Celik, B. Sirmen, and M. Demirhan, "The relationship of muscle strength and pain in subacromial impingement syndrome," Acta orthopaedica et traumatologica turcica, vol. 45, no. 2, 2011, pp. 79-84. https://doi.org/10.3944/AOTT.2011.2425
- S. K. Stackhouse, M. R. Stapleton, D. A. Wagner, and P. W. McClure, "Voluntary activation of the infraspinatus muscle in nonfatigued and fatigued states," Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery, vol. 19, no. 2, 2010, pp. 224-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2009.07.006
- M. A. Wirth, C. Basamania, and C. A. Rockwood, "Nonoperative management of full-thickness tears of the rotator cuff," The Orthopedic clinics of North America, vol. 28, no. 1, 1997, pp. 59-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0030-5898(05)70264-9
- N. S. Jo, "Physical Examination of the Elbow," Korean Shoulder and Elbow Society Training lecture, 2009, pp. 46-57.
- G. M. Gartsman, "All arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs," The Orthopedic clinics of North America, vol. 32, no. 3, 2001, pp. 501-510. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0030-5898(05)70219-4
- J. Gondin, M. Guette, and N. A. Maffiuletti et al, "Neural activation of the triceps surae is impaired following 2 weeks of immobilization," European journal of applide physiology, vol. 93, no. 3, 2004, pp. 359-365. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-004-1225-z
- B. K. Downie and B. S. Miller, "Treatment of rotator cuff tears in older individuals: a systematic review," Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery, vol. 21, no. 9, 2012, pp. 1255-1261. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2011.11.019
- L. A. Wojcik, M. A. Nussbaum, D. Lin, P. A Shibata, and M. L. MaDiqan, "Age and gender moderate the effects of localized muscle fatigue on lower extremity joint torques used during quiet stance," Human movement science, vol. 30, no. 3, 2011, pp. 574-583. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2010.03.008
- T. S. Ellenbecker, Shoulder rehabilitation: Non-operative treatment, New York : Thieme medical publishers, 2005, pp. 72-74.
- J. C. Na, Exercise physiology, seoul : Daekyung, 2004, pp. 118-143.
- V. A. Scholtes, J. G. Becher, A. Beelen and G. J Lankhorst, "Clinical assessment of spasticity in children with cerebral palsy: a critical review of available instruments," Developmental medicine and child neurology, vol. 48, no. 1, 2006, pp. 64-73.
- C. Gerber, D. C. Meyer, A. G. Schneeberger, H. Hoppeler, and B. von Rechenberg, "Effect of tendon release and delayed repair on the structure of the muscles of the rotator cuff: an experimental study in sheep," The Journal of bone and joint Surgery American volume, vol. 86, no. 9, 2004, pp. 1973-1982. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-200409000-00016
- R. B. Salter, D. F. Simmonds, B. W. Malcolm, E. J Rumble, D. MacMicheal, and N. D Clements, "The biological effect of continuous passive motion on the healing of full-thickness defects in articular cartilage. An experimental investigation in the rabbit," The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume, vol. 62, no. 8, 1980, pp. 1232-1251. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198062080-00002
- C. A. Murphy, W. J. McDermott, R. K. Petersen, S. E. Johnson, and S. A. Baxter, "Electromyographic analysis of the rotator cuff in postoperative shoulder patients during passive rehabilitation exercises," Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery, vol. 22, no. 1, 2013, pp. 102-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2012.01.021
- A. Gur, M. Karakoc, K. Nas, R. Cevik, J. Sarac, and E. Demir, "Efficacy of low power laser therapy in fibromyalgia: a single-blind, placebo-controlled trial," Lasers in medical science, vol. 17, no. 1, 2002, pp. 57-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-002-8267-4
- J. W. Lee, The effect of neural adaptation and change of skeletal muscle architecture by electrical stimulation, master's dissertation, Dongshin University, 2007.
- J. H. Kim, H. H. Choi, and J. I. Youn, "Muscle Fatigue Analysis Based on Electromyography Signals for The Evaluation of Low-Level Laser Therapy," Journal of biomedical engineering research, vol. 32, no. 4, 2011, pp. 319-327. https://doi.org/10.9718/JBER.2011.32.4.319
- P. J. Sparto, M. Parnianpour, E. A. Barria, and J. M. Jaqadeesh, "Wavelet and short-time Fourier transform analysis of electromyography for detection of back muscle fatigue," IEEE Transactions on rehabilitation engineering, vol. 8, no. 3, 2000, pp. 433-436. https://doi.org/10.1109/86.867887
- B. R. Neri, K. W. Chan, and Y. W. Kwon, "Management of massive and irreparable rotator cuff tears," Journal of shoulder elbow surgery, vol. 18, no. 5, 2009, pp. 808-818. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2009.03.013
- S. J. Seok, A study on the concerns of patient with the rotator cuff repair, master's dissertation, Konkuk University, 2011.
- M. H. Kang, "The analysis of lumbar extensor fatique during trunk exercise in low back pain patients," The korean journal of physical education, vol. 20, no. 1, 2011, pp. 1085-1093.
- R. Casale, M. Buonocore, A. Di Massa, and C. Setacci, "Electromyographic signal frequency analysis in evaluating muscle fatigue of patients with peripheral arterial disease," Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, vol. 75, no. 10, 1994, pp. 1118-1121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9993(94)90087-6
- H. C. Kim, A study on muscle fatigue and activity and age related changes during static exercise of shoulder muscles using theraband, master's dissertation, Industry University, 2009.
- J. K. Kim, Comparison of knee myofuction according to rehabilitation exercise program participation period after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, master's dissertation, Kook-min University, 2009.
- K. S. Nam, Y. H. Lee, C. H. Yi, and S. H. Cho, "A Study of Muscle Fatigue in Lumbar and Abdominal Muscles in Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain by Electromyographic Power Spectral Analysis," Korean research society of physical Therapy, vol. 6, no. 2, 1999, pp. 16-131.
- Y. J. Chung, S. H. Cho, O. Y. Kwon, and Y. H. Lee, "Characteristics of initiation and termination of muscle contraction in early hemiparetic wrists:Analysis of median frequency," Physical Therapy Korea, vol. 13, no. 1, 2006, pp. 38-46.
- M. Y. Lee, Electromyographic Study on Lumbar Extensor Activity and Fatigue during Trunk Flexion and Extension Exercise, dactoral dissertation, Kon-Kuk University, 2000.
- E. J. Kupa, S. H. Roy, S. C. Kandarian, and C. J. De Luca, "Effects of muscle fiber type and size on EMG median frequency and conduction velocity," Journal of applied physiology(Bethesda, Md:1985), vol. 79, no. 1, 1995, pp. 23-32 https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.19188.8.131.52
- N. A. Riley and M. Bilodeau, "Changes in upper limb joint torque patterns and EMG signals with fatigue following a stroke," Disability and rehabilitation, vol. 24, no. 18, 2002, pp. 961-969. https://doi.org/10.1080/0963828021000007932
- The effect of exercise types for rotator cuff repair patients on activities of shoulder muscles and upper limb disability vol.28, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.2772
Supported by : Sehan university