- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Self-Aromatherapy Massage on Depression and Satisfaction with Life in Depressed College Students
아로마 자가마사지가 우울한 대학생의 우울 및 삶의 만족에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2014.07.15
- Accepted : 2014.08.25
- Published : 2014.09.30
Objectives: This is an experimental study that attempts to define the effect that self-aromatherapy massage has on depression and satisfaction with life of depressed college students. Methods: Of the total 41 participants, 21 were designated as the experimental group and 20 as the control group. The participants were subject to massages; lavender, sweet orange, mandarin, rosewood, and bergamot aromas diluted to the concentration of 2% in jojoba oil, the carrier oil, were used on the experimental group, and only jojoba oil was used on the control group. Self-aromatherapy massages were conducted for 10 minutes per session, 3 times a week in alternating days, in a period of 2 weeks, and the depression points and satisfaction with life scale were measured before and after massages. Results: This study revealed that there was a statistically significant decrease of depression points in the experimental group, and that there was no significant difference of life satisfaction in both groups. Conclusions: Thus, it is thought self-aromatherapy massages could be used as a practical method of self-mediation that alleviates depression in depressed college students.
Aromatherapy;College Students;Depression;Satisfaction with Life
- American College Health Association. (2013). American College Health Association-National College Health Assessment: Spring 2013 Reference group Executive Summary. Hanover, MD: American College Health Association.
- Bonner, R. L., & Rich, A. R. (1998). Negative life stress, social problem solving self-appraisal, and hopelessness: Implication for suicide research. Cognitive therapy and Research, 12, 549-557.
- Chang, S. Y. (2008). Effects of Aroma Hand Massage on Pain, State Anxiety and Depression in Hospice Patients with Terminal Cancer. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 38(4), 493-502. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.4.493
- Cho, S. L., & Moon, J. W. (2012). The Effect of Health on Life Satisfaction. Korean Public Health Research, 38(2), 21-39.
- Davis, P. (1997). Aromatherapy(2nd rev.ed). London: C.W. Daniel Company
- Diner, E., Emmons, R. s., Larsen, R. j., & Griffin, S. (1985). The Satisfaction With Life Scale. Journal of Personality Assessment, 49, 71-75. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- Kwon, S. Y., Kim, S. E., Kim, E. J., Kim, J. H., Yu, G. M., & Salvatore, B. (Eds). (2007). The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy. Seoul: Hyeonmunsa.
- Kim, M. J., Nam, E. S., & Paik, S. I. (2005). The Effects of Aromatherapy on Pain, Depression, and Life Satisfaction of Arthritis Patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35(1), 186-194. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.1.186
- Kim, W. (2012). Current Status and Influencing Factors of Depression among College Students: Focused on Using the PHQ-9. Koream Journal of Social Welfare Education, 20, 203-229.
- Kroenke, K., Spitzer, R. L., & Williams, J. B. (2001). The PHQ-9 : Validity of Brief Depression Severity Measure. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 16, 606-613. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1497.2001.016009606.x
- Kwak, H. J., & Kim. H. J. (2013). A Meta-analysis of Related Factors Depression of Korea University Student. Korea Youth Research Association, 20(7), 75-98.
- Lee, B. K. (2013). A Study on the Effects of Locus of Control and the Perception of Happenstance on Life Satisfaction of College Students. Journal of Human Understanding and Counseling, 34(1), 37-54.
- Lee, E. K., & Lee, K. H. (2005). The Effect of Depression and Positive Emotions on Subjective Well-Being: Focused on Neuroticism and Extraversion. The Korea Journal of Counseling, 6(2), 325-338
- Lee, H. K., Kim, J. W., Song, Y. M., & Lee, K. S. (2013). The Group Difference with or without Depressive Symptom-Related Difficulty. Korean Society Journal Biological Psychiatry, 20, 40-44.
- Lee, I. S., & Lee, G. J. (2006). Effects of Lavender Aromatherapy on Insomnia and Depression In Women Colleges Students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36(1), 136-143. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.1.136
- National Statistical Office .(2013). http://kostat.go.kr.
- Mathers, C. D., Bernard, C., Iburg, K. M., Inoue, M., Ma, F. D., Shibuya, K., . . . Xu, H. (2003). Global burden of disease in 2002: data sources, methods and results. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2012). 2011 The Epidemiological Survey of Mental Disorders in Korea. http://www.mw.go.kr/
- Okamoto, A., Kuriyama, H., Watanabe, S., Aihara, Y., Tadai, T., Imanishi, J., & Fukui, K. (2005). The effect of aromatherapy massage on mild depression: A pilot study. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 69, 363.
- Park, J. H., Yoon, S. J., Lee, H. Y., Cho, H. S., Lee, J. Y., Eun, S. J., . . . Shin. Y. S. (2006). Estimating the Burden of Psychiatric Disorder in Korea. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health 39(1), 39-45.
- Park, S. J., Choi, H. R., Choi, J. H., Kim, K. W., & Hong, J. P. (2010). Reliability and Validity of the Korean Version of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9(PHQ-9). Anxiety and Mood, 6(2), 119-124.
- Shirley, P., & Len, P. (2002). Aromatherapy for Health Professionals(2ndedn). Churchill Livingston, London, UK
- Schieman, S., Van Gundy, K., & Taylor, J. (2002). The Relationship Between Age and Depressive Symptoms: A Test of Competing Explanatory and Suppression Influences. Journal of aging and health, 14(2), 260-285. https://doi.org/10.1177/089826430201400205
- Seo, S. Y., & Chang, S. Y. (2009). Effects Of Hand Massage On Sleep, Depression and Quality of Life In the Institutionalized Elderly Women. Korea Journal Women Health Nurse, 15(4), 372-380. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.372
- Yang, H. J., Kang, H. Y., & Kim, I. S. (2011). The Effects of Foot Reflex Massage on Sleep, Depression and Problem Behaviors on Elderly with Dementia. Korean Journal Adult Nurses, 23(6), 574-583.
- Yang, S. Y., & Shin, H. K. (2013). Effects of Acceptance Commitment Therapy on Psychological Acceptance, Psychological Well-being, Depression and Suicidal Ideation of Depressed College Students. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 32(4), 761-782. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2013.32.4.001