- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Emulsion Stability of O/W and W/S Emulsion according to HLB of Emulsifier
유화제의 HLB에 따른 O/W 및 W/S 에멀젼의 유화 안정성에 관한 연구
- Yeon, Jae Young (Cosmetic Research Institute, Hanbul Cosmetics Co., Ltd.) ;
- Shin, Bo Ram (Cosmetic Research Institute, Hanbul Cosmetics Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Ta Gon (Cosmetic Research Institute, Hanbul Cosmetics Co., Ltd.) ;
- Seo, Jeong Min (Cosmetic Research Institute, Hanbul Cosmetics Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Cheong Hee (Cosmetic Research Institute, Hanbul Cosmetics Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Sang Gil (Cosmetic Research Institute, Hanbul Cosmetics Co., Ltd.) ;
- Pyo, Hyeong Bae (Cosmetic Research Institute, Hanbul Cosmetics Co., Ltd.)
- 연제영 (한불화장품(주) 기술연구원 화장품연구소) ;
- 신보람 (한불화장품(주) 기술연구원 화장품연구소) ;
- 김타곤 (한불화장품(주) 기술연구원 화장품연구소) ;
- 서정민 (한불화장품(주) 기술연구원 화장품연구소) ;
- 이청희 (한불화장품(주) 기술연구원 화장품연구소) ;
- 이상길 (한불화장품(주) 기술연구원 화장품연구소) ;
- 표형배 (한불화장품(주) 기술연구원 화장품연구소)
- Received : 2014.02.24
- Accepted : 2014.04.01
- Published : 2014.09.30
In this study, O/W and W/S emulsions were prepared by combining oils having different required hydrophilic lipophilic balance (HLB) values under the diverse conditions of HLB values composed of a hydrophilic surfactant and a lipophilic surfactant and their stability was investigated. Results showed that the higher the viscosity of O/W emulsions was as the lower the HLB value of emulsifier and emulsion particle showed a tendency to be a smaller and compact and stabler in centrifugal filtration. W/S emulsions also showed a similar tendency to be a smaller and compact as HLB values of emulsifier was higher and stabler in centrifugal filtration. However, the viscosity of W/S emulsion tended to get lower in HLB conditions of all emulsifiers as the time passed. This indicated that the emulsions had an unstable feature in long-term stability. In conclusion, the results showed opposite to the known theory that O/W emulsion is proper to be applied by nonionic surfactant with a high HLB value and W/S emulsion to be applied by nonionic surfactant with a low HLB value and provide useful information for the cosmetics research and related areas.
- H. J. Yang, J. H. Kim, W. G. Cho, and S. N. Park, The stability of emulsion formed by phase inversion with variation of HLB of surfactant, J. Kor. Oil Chemists' Soc., 26(2), 117 (2009).
- J. D. Kim, Theory of interface phenomena, ed. H. J. Lee, 454, Arche Publishing House, Seoul, Korea (2000).
- B. W. Brooks and H. N. Richmond, Dynamics of liquid-liquid phase inversion using nonionic surfactants, Colloids and Surfaces, 58, 131 (1991). https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-6622(91)80203-Z
- I. Matsaridou, P. Barmpalexis, A. Salis, and I. Nikolakakis, The influence of surfactant HLB and oil/surfactant ratio on the formation and properties of self-emulsifying pellets and microemulsion reconstitution, AAPS Pharm. Sci. Tech., 13(4), 1319 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-012-9855-7
- H. S. Lee and J. S. Kim, The flow properties and stability of O/W emulsion composed of various mixed nonionic surfactants, J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 4(1), 196 (1993).
- Y. H. Kim, The effects of HLB value of the surfactants added in the silicon oil emulsion antifoamer on the antifoaming ability, J. Korean Oil Chemists' Soc., 27(3), 223 (2010).
- W. C. Griffin, Classification of surface active agents by HLB, J. Soc. Cosmet. Chem., 1, 311 (1949).
- Y. S. Kang, K. Y. Gyeong, M. J. Rang, D. H. Bae, Y. G. Lee, W. G. Cho, S. G. Choi, and S. G. Han, The science of cosmetic, household and health care product, ed. Y. H. Lee, 1, 63, Shin Kwang Pub., Seoul, Korea (2008).
- W. D. Bancroft, The theory of emulsification, J. Phy. Chem., 17, 501 (1913).
- T. Tadros, P. Izquierdo, J. Esquena, and C. Solans, New formation and stability of nanoemulsions, Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., 108, 303 (2004).
- T. J. Lin, Surfactant location and required HLB, J. Soc. Cosmet. Chem., 21, 365 (1970).
- R. C. Pasquali, C. Bregni, and M. P. Taurozzi, New values of the required hydrophilic lipophilic balance for oil in water emulsions of solid fatty acids and alcohols obtained from solubility parameter and dielectric constant values, J. Disper. Sci. Technol., 30(3), 328 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1080/01932690802540517
- A Study on Preparation of Water in Oil in Water (W1/O/W2) Emulsion Containing Titrated Extract of Centella asiatica vol.41, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15230/SCSK.2015.41.4.303
- New biocide for eco-friendly biofilm removal on outdoor stone monuments 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibiod.2017.03.004