- Volume 27 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of low-level exposure to manganese and lead on immune function
저 농도의 망간과 납 노출이 면역기능에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Ki-Woong (Occupational Safety and Health Research Institute) ;
- Park, SangHwoi (Public Health and Occupational Medicine, University of Tokyo) ;
- Won, Yong Lim (Occupational Safety and Health Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Sung Kwang (Department of Chemistry, Hannam University)
- Received : 2014.09.23
- Accepted : 2014.10.11
- Published : 2014.10.25
This study aimed to evaluate the effects of exposure to manganese (Mn) and lead (Pb) on immune system. The subjects were 42 male workers, among whom 13 office workers (Group I) had never been occupationally exposed to heavy metals, 21 were worked in manufacturing factories (Group II) and 8 were welders (Group III). The mean blood Mn and Pb level by groups were significantly different. The numbers of CD19+ and total lymphocytes in Group I were significantly higher than those in other groups, but no significant differences were found in other T lymphocytes subpopulation. Mn and Pb concentrations showed negative correlation with T lymphocytes subpopulation, but Mn concentrations were statistical significances with T lymphocytes subpoplation except CD4+CD45RO+ and natural killer cell. Pb concentration was only statistical significance with total lymphocytes. Our results suggest that occupationally exposed to Mn and Pb can affect the cellular immune response.
immune system;T lymphocytes subpopulation;immunoglobulins;manganese;lead
- H. Yuan, S. He, M. He, Q. Niu, L. Wang and S. Wang, Life Sci., 78, 1324-1328 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2005.07.008
- K. P. Mishra, Toxcol in Vitro, 23, 969-972 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2009.06.014
- P. Coelho, J. Garcia-Leston, S. Costa, C. Costa, S. Silva, D. Fuchs, S. Geisler, V. Dall'Armi, R. Zoffoli, S. Bonassi and E. Pasaro, Sci. Total Environ., 475, 1-7 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.12.093
- WHO, 'Environmental health criteria 17: Manganes', WHO, Geneva, 1981.
- J. R. Prohaska, Physical Review, 67, 858-901 (1987).
- D. Milatovic, S. Zaja-Milatovic, R. C. Gupta, Y. Yu, M. Aschner, Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacology, 240, 219-225 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2009.07.004
- WHO, 'Environmental health criteria 3: Lead', WHO, Geneva, 1977.
- B. H. Alexander, H. Checkoway, C. van Netten, C. H. Muller, T. G. Ewers, J. D. Kaufman, B. A. Mueller, T. L. Vaughan and E. M. Faustman, Occup. Environ. Med., 53(6), 411-6 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.53.6.411
- B. T. Stollery, Neurotox. Teratol., 18, 477-483 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0892-0362(96)00080-3
- C. Y. Hsiao, H. D. I. Wu, J. S. Lai and H. W. Kuo, Sci. Total Environ., 279, 151-158 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(01)00762-8
- M. B. Rabinowitz, G. W. Wetherill and J. D. Kopple, J. Lab. Clin. Med., 90, 238-248 (1977).
- K. P. Mishra, V. K. Singh, R. Rani, V. S. Yadav, V. Chandran, S. P. Srivastava and P. K. Seth, Toxicology, 188, 251-259 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(03)00091-X
- P. M. Lutz, T. J. Wilson, J Ireland, A. L. Jones, J. S. Gorman, N. L. Gale, J. C. Johnson and J. E. Hewett, Toxicology, 134, 63-78 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(99)00036-0
- L. Fang, F. Zhao, X. Shen, W. Ouyang, X. Liu, Y. Xu, T. Yu, B. Jin, J. Chen and W. Luo, Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacology, 265, 272-278 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2012.10.001
- 양정선, 강성규, 이미영, 박인정, '건강진단 기준상 유해물질 분석법의 표준화에 관한 연구(I)' 연구보고서, 산업안전보건연구원, 1997.
- S. Jang, Y.-J. Choi, K.-W. Kim, J. Korean Soc. Occup. Environ. Hyg., 23(3), 266-272 (2013).
- Associations between Blood Levels of Polychlorinated Dibenzo-p-dioxins/Furans and Polychlorinated Biphenyls with Immune Systems vol.10, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13530-018-0342-8