- Volume 15 Issue 3
We develop a preliminary design optimization procedure in this paper regarding the wing planform in a solar-powered high-altitude long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicle. A high-aspect-ratio wing has been widely adopted in this type of a vehicle, due to both the high lift-to-drag ratio and lightweight design. In the preliminary design, its characteristics need to be addressed correctly, and analyzed in an appropriate manner. In this paper, we use the three-dimensional Euler equation to analyze the wing aerodynamics. We also use an advanced structural modeling approach based on a geometrically exact one-dimensional beam analysis. Regarding the structural integrity of the wing, we determine detailed configuration parameters, specifically the taper ratio and the span length. Next, we conduct a multi-objective optimization scheme based on the response surface method, using the present baseline configuration. We consider the structural integrity as one of the constraints. We reduce the wing weight by approximately 25.3 % from that in the baseline configuration, and also decrease the power required approximately 3.4 %. We confirm that the optimized wing has sufficient flutter margin and improved static longitudinal/directional stability characteristics, as compared to those of the baseline configuration.
Design optimization;Solar HALE aircraft;preliminary design
- Rajagopal, S., and Ganguli, R., "Conceptual Design of UAV using Kriging based multi-objective genetic algorithm," Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 112, No. 1137, 2008, pp. 653-662. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0001924000002621
- Anonymous, "Breakthrough Unmanned Aerial Surveillance Technology, Zephyr," Qinetiq, 2009.
- Najafi, Y., "Design of a High Altitude Long Endurance Solar Powered UAV, M. S. Thesis, San Jose State University, 2011.
- Martines, J. R. R. A., and Alonso, J. J., "Complete Configuration Aero-structural Optimization Using Coupled Sensitivity Analysis Method," 9th AIAA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, Atlanta, GA, USA, September 4-6, 2002.
- Long, T., Liu, L., Li, Y., Peng, L., Huang, B., and Qi, Z., "Aero-structure Coupled Optimization of High Aspect Ratio Wing Using Enhanced Adaptive Response Surface Method," 12th AIAA ATIO Conference and 14th AIAA/ISSM Indianapolis, India, September, 17-19, 2012.
- Rajagopal, S., and Ganguli, R., "Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Long Endurance Unmmaned Aerial Vehicle Wing," Computer Modeling in Engineering and Science, Vol. 81, No. 1, 2001, pp.1-34.
- Cestino, E., "Design of Solar High Altitude Long Endurance Aircraft for Multi payload and Operations," Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 10, No. 6, 2006, pp. 541-550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2006.06.001
- Viswamurthy, S., R., and Ganguli, R., "Optimal Placement of Trailing-edge Flaps for Helicopter Vibration Reduction using Response Surface Methods," Engineering Optimization, Vol. 39, No. 2, 2007, pp. 185-202. https://doi.org/10.1080/03052150601047123
- Sobiesky, I.. P., and Kroo, I. M., "Collaborative Optimization using Response Surface estimation," AIAA Journal, Vol. 38, No. 10, 2000, pp. 1931-1938. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.847
- Senthil, M., and Ganguli, R., "Aeroelastic Stability Enhancement and Vibration Suppression in a Composite Helicpopter Rotor," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 42, No. 4, 2005, pp. 1013-1024. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.5652
- Keane, A. J., "Wing Optimization using Design of Experiment, Response Surface, and Data Fusion Method," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 40, No. 4, 2003, pp. 741-750. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3153
- Anonymous, ZAERO Version 8.4 Theoretical Manual, ZONA Technology Inc., Scottsdale, AZ, USA, 2008.
- Park, K., Min, S., Ahn, J., and Lee, D.-H., "Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (MDO) of a Medium-Sized Solar Powered HALE UAV Considerring Energy Balancing," KSAS, Vol. 40, No. 2, 2012, pp. 129-138. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2012.40.2.129
- Kim, Y.-S., "Multidisciplinary Multi-Point Design Optimization of Supersonic Fighter Wing," Ph. D. Dissertation, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, 2003.
- Wakayama, S., "Lifting Surface Design Using Multidisciplinary Optimization," Ph. D. Dissertation, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, 1994.
- Langford, J., "The Daedalus Project : A Summary of Lessons Learned", AIAA/AHS/ASEE Aircraft Design, Systems and Operations Conference, 1989, pp. 89-2048
- Shevell, R. S., Fundamentals of Flight, 2nd edition., Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1989.
- Hodges, D. H., "A Mixed Variational Formulation Based on Exact Intrinsic Equations for Dynamics of Moving Beams," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 26, No. 11, 1990. pp. 1253-1273. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(90)90060-9
- Shang, X., "Aeroelastic Stability of Composite Hingeless Rotors with Finite-State Unsteady Aerodynamics," Ph.D. thesis, Georgia Inst. of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA, Aug. 1995.
- Palacios, R. and Cesnik, C. E. S., "Cross-Sectional Analysis of Non-Homogeneous Anisotropic Active Slender Structures," AIAA Journal, Vol. 43, No. 12, 2005, pp. 2624-2638. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.12451
- Shin, S.-J., Cesnik, C. E. S., Wilkie, W. K., and Wilbur, M. L., "Design and Manufacturing of a Model-scale Active Twist Rotor Prototype Blade", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol.19, No.12, 2008, pp. 1443-1456. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X07088051
- Anderson, J., Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, fifth edition, Mcgraw Hill, New yYorkcity, year2010.
- Anonymous, JMP User Guide, Release 8, SAS Institute Inc. 2009.
- Anonymous, Global Optimization Toolbox Reference Version 3, Mathworks, Inc, 2004.
- Choi, S., Park, K., and Lee, D.,-H., "Aerodynamic Loss of HALE Aircraft Wing Due to Large Deflection Considering Various Wing Configurations," 2012 Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Aerospace Technology, Jeju, Korea, Nov. 13-15, 2012.
- Nelson, R. C., Flight Stability and Automatic Control, 2nd edition, Mcgraw-Hill, New yYorkcity, 1998.