- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis of Hydrodynamic Characteristics for Various Types of Jack-up Legs
다양한 형상의 Jack-up Leg에 대한 해양 동역학적 수치해석
- Received : 2013.10.21
- Accepted : 2014.08.14
- Published : 2014.10.31
In this study, the hydrodynamic characteristics of various types of jack-up legs for a wind turbine installation vessel were analyzed. Using the modified Morison equation, the wave and current excitation forces on the jack-up legs were calculated. A modal analysis was performed to predict the dynamic responses for various types of jack-up legs. The Newmark-beta time integration scheme was used to solve the equation of motion in waves in the time domain. The maximum displacement and maximum bending stress were computed for four different types of legs, and their results were compared to select an optimum leg type. Finally, a six-leg jack-up rig with the selected optimal legs was modeled, and its natural period and hydrodynamic behaviors were evaluated.
Offshore wind turbine installation vessel;Jack-up leg;Morison equation;Modal analysis;Newmark-beta method;Natural period
- Jang, B.S., Choi, J.H., 2013. Introduction of Wind Turbine Installation Vessel (WTIV), Journal of Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, 26(2), 25-30.
- Cassidy, M.J., 1999. Non-linear Analysis of Jack-up Structures Subjected to Random Waves. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Oxford.
- Dawson, T.H., 1983. Offshore Structural Engineering, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., USA.
- Hartnett M.A., Mullarkey T.P., 1996. Numerical Evaluation of Hydrodynamic Loadings on Fixed Offshore Structures. Advances in Computational Techniques for Structural Engineering, Civil-Comp Press, UK, 263-268.
- Jamaloddin, N., Samsul, I.B., Mohammad, S.J., Waleed, A.M.T., Shahrin, M., 2005. Simulation of Wave and Current Force on Template Offshore Structures. Suranaree Journal of Science and Technology, 13(3), 193-210.
- Lee, E.C., Jang, W.Y., Shin, S.R., 2013. A Study on the Soft Ground Subsidence Beneath the Jack-up Rig Working for Offshore Wind Turbine Installation. Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, 36(8), 1136-1142. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2012.36.8.1136
- Malhotra, A.K., Penzien, J., 1970. Non Deterministic Analysis of Offshore Structures. Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, Proceedings of ASCE, EM6, 985-1003.
- Morison, J.R., O'Brien, M.P., Johnson, J.W., Shaaf, S.A., 1950. The Forces Exerted by Surface Waves on Piles. Petroleum Transactions TP2846, 189, 149-154.
- The Overseas Coastal Area Development Institute of Japan (OCDI), 1999. The Technical Standards and Commentaries for Port and Harbour Facilities in Japan. MLIT, Japan.
- Park, M.S., Koo, W.C., Kawano, K., 2012. Numerical Analysis of the Dynamic Response of an Offshore Platform with a Pile-soil Foundation System Subjected to Random Waves and Currents. Journal of Waterway Port Coasts and Ocean Engineering, 138(4), 275-285. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WW.1943-5460.0000133
- Stelson, T.E., Mavis, F.T., 1955. Virtual Mass and Acceleration in Fluids. Proceeding of American Society of Civil Engineering, 81, 1-9.
- Stephen, H.C., Mark, W.D., 1963. Random Vibration in Mechanical System. Academic Press Inc.
- Williams, M.S., Thompson, R.S.G., Houlsby, G.T., 1998. Non-linear Dynamic Analysis of Offshore Jack-up Units. Computers & Structures, 69, 171-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(98)00119-9
- Zheng, X.Y., Liaw, C.Y., 2004. Non-linear Frequency-domain Analysis of Jack-up Platforms. International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, 39, 1519-1534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2004.02.013
- Dynamic Response and Reliability of Six-Leg Jack-Up Type Wind Turbine Installation Vessel vol.17, pp.03, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455417500377
Supported by : 인하대학교