- Volume 28 Issue 5
Ice loads may be conveniently categorized as local ice loads and global ice loads. Local ice loads are often defined as ice pressures acting on local areas of shell plates and stiffeners. Therefore, local ice loads are defined in all ice class rules. However, directly measuring the local ice pressure using the actual ice class vessel is a very difficult task because appropriate instruments for direct measurement must be installed on the outer hull, and they are easily damaged by direct ice contacts/impacts. This paper focuses on the estimation of the local ice pressure using the data obtained from icebreaking tests in the Arctic sea in 2010 using the Korean icebreaking research vessel (IBRV) ARAON. When she contacted the sea ice, the local deformation of the side shell was measured by the strain gauges attached to the inside of the shell. Simultaneously, the contact area between the side shell and sea ice is investigated by analyzing the distribution of the measured strain data. Finally, the ice pressures for different contact areas are estimated by performing a structural analysis.
Local ice pressure;Contact area;Arctic sea;Sea ice
- ABS 2011. Guide for Ice Load Monitoring Systems, ABS, Houston, TX, USA.
- Choi, K.S., 1995. Ice Mechanics: Risks to Offshore Structures, Seoul: Cheong Moon Gak Publishers (Original work published in 1988 by Sanderson, T.J.O.).
- Fredering, R., 2000. Local Ice Pressures from the Louis S. St. Laurent 1994 North Pole Transit. NRC, Canadian Hydraulics Centre, Technical Report HYD-TR-054.
- ISSC, 2012. Arctic Technology, 18th International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress, Committee V.6 Report, 09-13 September 2012, Rostock, Germany.
- Kang, W.S., Park, Y.S., Lee, Y.H., 2013. North Pole Route Development Status & Related Shipbuilding Industry Technology Trends, KEIT (Korea Evaluation Institute of Industrial Technology) PD Issue Report, May 2013 Vol. 13-5.
- Kim, D.H., Park, Y.J., Choi, K.S., 2012. Material Properties of Arctic Sea Ice during 2010 Arctic Voyage of Icebreaking Research Vessel ARAON: Part 2 - Compressive Strength, Flexural Strength and Crystal Structures. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 26(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2012.26.1.001
- Kim, H.S., Lee, C.J., Choi, K.S., Kim, M.C., 2011. Study on Icebreaking Performance of the Korea Icebreaker ARAON in the Arctic Sea, International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 3, 208-215. https://doi.org/10.3744/JNAOE.2011.3.3.208
- Kujala, P., Arughadhoss, S., 2011. Statistical Analysis of Ice Crushing Pressures on a Ship's Hull during Hull-ice Interaction. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 70, 1-11.
- Lee, T.K., Kim, T.W., Rim, C.H., Kim, S.C., 2013, A Study on Calculation of Local Ice pressures for ARAON Based on Data Measured at Arctic Sea, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology 27(5), 88-92. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.5.088
- Ritch, R., Frederking, R., Johnston, M., Browne, R., Ralph, F., 2008. Local Ice Pressures Measured on a Strain Gauge Panel during the CCGS Terry Fox Bergy Bit Impact Study. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 52, 29-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2007.04.017
- St. John, J.W., Daley, C., Blount, H., 1990. Ice Loads and Ship Response to Ice -Summer 1982/Winter 1983 Test Program-, Ship Structure Committee (SSC), Report No. 329.
- St. John, J.W., Minnick, P.V., 1995. Ice Load Impact Study on the National Science Foundation's Research Vessel Nathaniel B. Palmer. Ship Structure Committee (SSC), Report No. 376.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부, 한국연구재단