- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Target Echoes in Multi-static SONAR system - Part II : Numerical Modeling with Experimental Verification
다중상태 소나시스템을 적용한 표적반향음 연구 - Part II : 수치모델링과 실험적 검증
- Received : 2014.08.14
- Accepted : 2014.10.24
- Published : 2014.10.31
A multi-static SONAR system consists of the transmitters and receivers separately in space. The active target echoes are received along the transmitter-target-receiver path and depend on the shape and aspect angle of the submerged objects at each receiver. Thus, the target echo algorithm used with a mono-static system, in which the transmitter and receiver are located at the same position, has limits in simulating the target echoes for a multi-static SONAR system. In this paper, a target echo modeling procedure for a 3D submerged object in space is described based on the Kirchhoff approximation, and the SONAR system is extended to a multi-static SONAR system. The scattered field from external structures is calculated on the visible surfaces, which is determined based on the locations of the transmitter and receiver. A series of experiments in an acoustic water tank was conducted to measure the target echoes from scaled targets with a single transmitter and 16 receivers. Finally, the numerical results were compared with experimental results and shown to be useful for simulating the target echoes/target strength in a multi-static SONAR system.
Multi-static SONAR system;Active target echoes;Kirchhoff approximation
- Bae, H.S., Ji, Y.H., Kim, W.J., Kim, W.S., Kim, J.S., Yun, S.U., 2014. Inverstigation of Target Echoes in Multi-static SONAR System - Part I : Design for Acoustic Measuring System. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 28(5), 429-439. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2014.28.5.429
- Bae, H.S., Kim, W.J., Kim, W.S., Choi, S.M., 2013. Energy Distribution Characteristics of the Target Signals using the Underwater Distributed Sensor Networks. Proceedings of The Korea Institute of Military Science and Technology, 779-780.
- Choi, Y.H., Shin. K.C., You, J.S., Kim, J.S., Joo, W.H., Kim. Y.H., Park, J.H., Choi, S.M., Kim, W.S., 2005. Numerical Modeling and Experimental Verification for Ttarget Strength of Submerged Objects. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 19(1), 64-70.
- Clay, C.S., and Medwin, H., 1977. Acoustical Oceanography: Principles and applications. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Cook, J.C., 1985. Target Strength and Echo Structure. Adaptive Methods in Underwater Acoustics. NATO ASI Series, 151, 155-172.
- Kim, B.I., Park, M.H., Kwon, W.H., 2001. Echo Signal synthesis of Underwater Target by Distributed Highlight Model. Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 19(7), 15-22.
- Hazen, M.G., Drumheller, D.M., Gilroy, L.E., 2002. Modeling Second order Target Strength Effects at Physical Optics Integral Frequencies. Proceedings of Undersea Defence Technology Conference Europe, PIII-25.
- Jang, J.H., Ku, B.H., Hong, W.Y., Kim, I.I., Ko, H.S., 2006. The Effectiveness Analysis of Multistatic Sonar Network Via Detection Performance. Journal of the Korea Institute of Military Science and Technology, 9(1), 24-32.
- Ji, Y.H., Byun, G.H., Kim, J.S., Bae, H.S., Kim, W.S., 2013. Multi-static Scattering Characteristics of Submerged Objects with Experimental Investigation. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 134, 4113.
- Kim, H.S., Shin, K.C., Kim, W.S., Han, D.H., Choi, S.M., Kim, J.S., 1997. Realtime Active Target Signal Simulation. Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 11(3), 163-169.
- Kim, K.H., Cho, D.S., Seong, W.J., 2008. Simulation of Time-Domain Acoustic Wave Signals Backscattered from Underwater Targets. Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 27(3), 140-148.
- Kim, K.J., Hong, S.Y., Kwon, H.W., 2007. Derivation of Acoustic Target Strength Equation Considering Pulse Type of Acoustic signal. Proceedings of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, KSNVE07A-29-03.
- Kim, S.H., You, S.K., Choi, J.W., Kang, D.H., Park, J.S., Lee, D.J., Park, K.J., 2013. Target Signal Simulation in Synthetic Underwater Environment for Performance Analysis of Monostatic Active Sonar. Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 32(6), 455-471. https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2013.32.6.455
- Kwon, H.W., Hong, S.Y., Kim. H.M., Jeon, J.J., Kim. J.H., 2011. Developement of Acoustic Target Strength Analysis Software Considering Anechoic Coating Effect. Proceedings of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 30(1), 770-775.
- Lee, T.K., 2005. Acoustic Target Strength Predictions for the Submerged Structures with Stiffener Effects and Multiple-Bounce Contributions. M.S. thesis, Seoul National Univ.
- Lew, H., 2004. Broadband Echoes from Underwater Targets. International Journal of Computational Engineering Science(IJCES), 5(2), 281-290. https://doi.org/10.1142/S146587630400237X
- Maxit, L., Oudot, J., Audoly, C., 2004. Target Strength Modeling of Submarines. Proceedings of Undersea Defence Technology Conference Europe, 7B-3.
- Nguyen, B., Lew, H., 2002. Broadband BISTATIC Acoustic Scattering of Submerged Objects. Proceedings of Undersea Defence Technology Conference Asia, PI-6.
- Nolte, B., Schafer, I. Ehrlich, J., Ochman, M., Burgschweiger, R., Marburg, S., 2007. Numerical Methods for Wave Scattering Phenomena by Means of Different Boundary Integral Formulations, Journal of Computational Acoustics, 15(4), 495-529. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218396X07003536
- Schneider, H.G., Friedler, C., 2003. Benchmark Target Strength Simulation Workshop. Proceedings of Undersea Defence Technology Conference Europe, 9B-1.
- Seong, N.J., Kim, J.S., Lee, S.Y., Kim, K., 1994. MOving Spread Target Signal Simulation. Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 13(2), 30-37.
- Shin, K.C., Park, J.E., Kim, J.S., Choi, S.M., Kim, W.S., 2001. Target Scattering Echo Simulation for Active Sonar System in the Geometric Optics Region. Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 20(3), 95-101.
- Urick, R.J., 1983. Principles of Underwater Sound. 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- You, S.K., Kim, S.H., Choi, J.W., Kang, D.H., Jeong, D.M., 2014. Modeling and Experimental Verification of Echo Characteristics of 3 Dimensional Underwater Target. Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, 33(3), 174-183. https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2014.33.3.174
Grant : 천해 수중 분산센서망의 표적 능/수동 신호 모델 개발, 실시간 음향신호처리 구현 및 탐지 융합 알고리즘 연구
Supported by : 국방과학연구소