- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Modeling and Motion Analysis of Unmanned Underwater Gliders with Mass Shifter Unit and Buoyancy Engine
이동질량장치와 부력엔진을 포함한 무인 수중글라이더의 동역학 모델링 및 운동성능 해석
Kim, Donghee;Lee, Sang Seob;Choi, Hyeung Sik;Kim, Joon Young;Lee, Shinje;Lee, Yong Kuk
- Received : 2014.05.04
- Accepted : 2014.10.24
- Published : 2014.10.31
Underwater gliders do not have any external propulsion systems that can generate and control their motion. Generally, underwater gliders would obtain a propulsive force through the lift force generated on the body by a fluid. Underwater gliders should be equipped with mechanisms that can induce heave and pitch motions. In this study, an inner movable and rotatable mass mechanism was proposed to generate the pitch and roll motions of an underwater glider. In addition, a buoyancy control unit was presented to adjust the displacement of the underwater glider. The buoyancy control unit could generate the heave motion of the underwater glider. In order to analyze the underwater dynamic behavior of this system, nonlinear 6-DOF dynamic equations that included mathematical models of the inner movable mass and buoyancy control unit were derived. Only kinematic characteristics such as the location of the inner movable mass and the piston position of the buoyancy control unit were considered because the velocities of these systems are very slow. The effectiveness of the proposed dynamic modeling was verified through sawtooth and spiraling motion simulations.
Underwater glider;Movable mass;Buoyancy control unit
- Bhatta, P., Leonard, N.E., 2008. Nonlinear Gliding Stability and Control for Vehicles with Hydrodynamic Forcing. Automatica, 44(5), 1240-1250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2007.10.006
- Eriksen, C.C., Osse, T.J., Light, R.D., Wen, T., Lehman, T.W., Sabin, P.L., Ballard, J.W., Chiodi, A.M., 2001. Seaglider: A Long Range Autonomous Underwater Vehicle for Oceanographic Research. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 26(4), 424-436. https://doi.org/10.1109/48.972073
- Fiorelli, E., Leonard, N.E., Bhatta, P., Paley, D.A., Bachmayer, R., Fratantoni, D.M., 2006. Multi-AUV Control and Adaptive Sampling in Monterey Bay. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 31(4), 935-948. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2006.880429
- Fossen, T., 1994. Guidance and Control of Ocean Vehicles. Wiley.
- Jung, J.W., Jeong, J.H., Kim, I.G., Lee, S.K., 2014. Experimental Study on Hydrodynamic Coefficients of Autonomous Underwater Glider Using Vertical Planar Motion Mechanism Test. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 28(2), 119-125. https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2014.28.2.119
- Leonard, N.E., Paley, D.A., Davis, R.E., Fratantoni, D.M., Lekien, F., Zhang, F., 2010. Coordinated Control of an Underwater Glider Fleet in an Adaptive Ocean Sampling Field Experiment in Monterey Bay. Journal of Field Robotics, 27(6), 718-740. https://doi.org/10.1002/rob.20366
- Myring, D.F., 1976. A Theoretical Study of Body Drag in Subcritical Axisymmetric Flow. Aeronautical Quarterly, 27(3), 186-194.
- Prestero, T.J., 2001. Verification of a Six-Degree of Freedom Simulation Model for the REMUS Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. Master's Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
- Rudnick, D.L., Davis, R.E., Eriksen, C.C., Fratantoni, D.M., Perry, M.J., 2004. Underwater Gliders for Ocean Research. Marine Technology Society Journal, 38(1), 48-59.
- Seo, D.C., Jo, G.N., Choi, H.S., 2008. Pitching Control Simulations of an Underwater Glider Using CFD Analysis. OCEANS 2008-MTS/IEEE, Kobe Japan, 1-5.
- Sherman, J., Davis, R.E., Owens, W.B., Valdes, J., 2001. The Autonomous Underwater Glider "Spray". IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 26(4), 437-446. https://doi.org/10.1109/48.972076
- Smith, R.N., Schwager, M., Smith, S.L., Jones, B.H., Rus, D., Sukhatme, G.S, 2011. Persistent Ocean Monitoring with Underwater Gliders: Adapting Sampling Resolution. Journal of Field Robotics, 28(5), 714-741. https://doi.org/10.1002/rob.20405
- Webb, D.C., Simonetti, P.J., Jones, C.P., 2001. SLOCUM, An Underwater Glider Propelled by Environmental Energy. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 26(4), 447-452. https://doi.org/10.1109/48.972077
- Zhang, S., Yu, J., Zhang, A., Zhang, F., 2013. Spiraling Motion of Underwater Gliders: Modeling, Analysis, and Experimental Results. Ocean Engineering, 60, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2012.12.023
- Graver, J., Leonard, N.E., 2001. Underwater Glider Dynamics and Control. 12th International Symposium on Unmanned Untethered Submersible Technology, Durham, 1-14.
- Development of Biomimetic Underwater Vehicle using Single Actuator vol.33, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2016.33.7.571
Supported by : 국방과학연구소