- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Conversion of Organic Carbon in Food Processing Wastewater to Photosynthetic Biomass in Photo-bioreactors Using Different Light Sources
Suwan, Duangkamon;Chitapornpan, Sukhuma;Honda, Ryo;Chiemchaisri, Wilai;Chiemchaisri, Chart
- Received : 2014.05.31
- Accepted : 2014.09.10
- Published : 2014.09.30
An anaerobic photosynthetic treatment process utilizing purple non-sulfur photosynthetic bacteria (PNSB) was applied to the recovery of organic carbon from food processing wastewater. PNSB cells, by-product from the treatment, have high nutrition such as proteins and vitamins which are a good alternative for fish feed. Effects of light source on performance of anaerobic photosynthetic process were investigated in this study. Two bench-scale photo-bioreactors were lighted with infrared light emitting diodes (LEDs) and tungsten lamps covered with infrared transmitting filter, respectively, aiming to supply infrared light for photosynthetic bacteria growth. The photo-bioreactors were operated to treat noodle-processing wastewater for 323 days. Hydraulic retention time (HRT) was set as 6 days. Organic removals in the photo-bioreactor lighted with infrared LEDs (91%-95%) was found higher than those in photo-bioreactor with tungsten lamps with filter (79%-83%). Biomass production in a 150 L bench-scale photo-bioreactor was comparable to a 8 L small-scale photo-bioreactor in previous study, due to improvement of light supply efficiency. Application of infrared LEDs could achieve higher treatment performance with advantages in energy efficiency and wavelength specifity.
Anaerobic photosynthetic process;Food processing wastewater;Infrared light emitting diode (LED);Photo-bioreactor;Purple non-sulfur bacteria (PNSB)
- Getha K, Chong VC, Vikineswary S. Potential use of the phototrophic bacteria, Rhodopseudomonas palustris as an aquaculture feed. Asian Fish Science. 1998;10:223-232.
- Izu K, Nakajima F, Yamamoto K, Kurisu F. Aeration conditions affecting growth of purple nonsulfur bacteria in organic wastewater treatment process. Syst. Appl. Microbiol. 2001;24:294-302. https://doi.org/10.1078/0723-2020-00027
- Honda R, Fukushi K, Yamamoto K. Optimization of wastewater feeding for single-cell protein production in an anaerobic wastewater treatment process utilizing purple non-sulfur bacteria in mixed culture condition. J. Biotechnol. 2006;125:565-573 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiotec.2006.03.022
- Chiemchaisri C, Jaitrong L, Honda R, Fukushi K, Yamamoto K. Photosynthetic bacteria pond system with infra-red transmitting filter for the treatment and recovery of organic carbon from industrial wastewater. Water Sci. Technol. 2007;56:109-116.
- Chitapornpan S, Chiemchaisri C, Chiemchaisri W, Honda R, Yamamoto K. Photosynthetic bacteria production from food processing wastewater in sequencing batch and membrane photo-bioreactors. Water Sci. Technol. 2012;65:504-512. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2012.740
- Sawada H, Rogers PL. Photosynthetic bacteria in waste treatment-mixed culture studies with Rhodopseudomonas capsulata. J. Ferment. Technol. 1977;55(4):311-325.
- American Public Health Association. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. 20th ed. Washington: American Public Health Association; 1999.
- Chitapornpan S, Chiemchaisri C, Chiemchaisri W, Honda R, Yamamoto K. Organic carbon recovery and photosynthetic bacteria population in an anaerobic membrane photo-bioreactor treating food processing wastewater. Bioresour. Technol. 2013; 141:65-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2013.02.048
- Oelze J. Light and oxygen regulation of the synthesis of bacteriochlorophylls a and c in Chloroflexus aurantiacus. J. Bateriol. 1992;174:5021-5026.
- Firsow NN, Drews G. Differentiation of the intracytoplasmic membrane of Rhodopseudomonas palustris induced by variations of oxygen partial pressure or light intensity. Arch. Microbiol. 1977;306:299-306.
- Yurkova N, Beatty J. Photosynthesis-independent regulation of bacteriochlorophyll synthesis by light intensity in Rhodobacter capsulatus. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 1996;145: 221-225. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1996.tb08581.x
- Sauer K, Dratz EA, Coyne L. Circular dichroism spectra and the molecular arrangement of bacteriocholorophylls in the reaction centers of photosynthetic bacteria. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 1968;61:17-24. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.61.1.17
- Kuo FS, Chien YH, Chen CJ. Effects of light sources on growth and carotenoid content of photosynthetic bacteria Rhodopseudomonas palustris. Bioresour. Technol. 2012;113: 315-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.01.087
- Recycling of sugar industry wastewater for single-cell protein production with supplemental carotenoids pp.1479-487X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2018.1491633
Grant : Research and Development for Water Reuse Technology in Tropical Regions (WateR-InTro) project
Supported by : Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)