- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Navigator for OWL Ontologies Generated from Relational Databases
관계형 데이터베이스로부터 생성된 OWL 온톨로지를 위한 탐색기
- Received : 2014.08.19
- Accepted : 2014.10.06
- Published : 2014.10.28
This paper proposes a system to translate an RDB into an OWL ontology which enables the users to navigate the ontology in GUI. In order to accomplish the goals mentioned previously, the system overcame two difficulties. First, our system defines a new mapping algorithm to map between DB elements and ontology ones. Comparing with existing solutions, our algorithm is able to generate ontologies from more DB structures. Second, our system provides the same data generated by a reasoner to the users. Note that this operation does not load ABox ontology on a reasoner. In addition, Tableau-based reasoners have the tractability problem on a large ABox (e.g., large ABoxes translated from DBs practically cannot be served). To solve this, our system internally runs SQL queries to retrieve the same data as the one from a reasoner every time ABox elements are queried.
Semantic Web;OWL;Relational Database;RDF;Ontology;Reasoning
- B. He, M. Patel, Z. Zhang, and K. C. Chang, "Accessing the deep web," Communication of the ACM, Vol.50, pp.94-101, 2007.
- C. Bizer and A. Seaborne, "D2RQ - treating non-RDF databases as virtual RDF graphs," 3rd International Semantic Web Conference, 2004.
- S. Auer, S. Dietzold, J. Lehmann, S. Hellmann, and D. Aumuller, "Triplify: lightweight linked data publication from relational databases," Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on World Wide Web, pp.621-630, 2009.
- O. Erling and I. Mikhailov, "RDF Support in the Virtuoso DBMS," Proceedings of the 1st Conference of Social Semantic Web, pp.59-68, 2007.
- N. Cullot, R. Ghawi, and K. Yetongnon, "DB2OWL: A Tool for Automatic Databaseto- Ontology Mapping," Proceedings of 15th Italian Symposium on Advanced Database System, pp.491-494, 2007.
- M. Li, X. Y. Du, and S. Wang, "Learning Ontology from Relational Database," Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, pp.3410-3415, 2005.
- S. S. Sane and A. Shirke, "Generating OWL ontologies from a relational databases for the semantic web," Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communication and Control, pp.157-162, 2009.
- Z. Xu, S. Zhang, and Y. Dong, "Mapping between Relational Database Schema and OWL Ontology for Deep Annotation," Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, pp.548-552, 2006.
- S. Zhou, G. Meng, H. Ling, and H. Zhang, "Tool for Translating Relational Databases Schema into Ontology for Semantic Web," Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science, pp.198-201, 2010.
- J. W. Choi and M. H. Kim, "Generationg OWL Ontology from Relational Database," Proceedings of MUSIC'12 , pp.53-59, 2012.
- I. Horrocks, L. Li, D. Turi, and S. Bechhofer, "The Instance Store: DL Reasoning with Large Numbers of individuals," Proceedings of the Description Logic Workshop, pp.31-40, 2004.
- C. Chen, V. Haarslev, and J. Wang, "LAS: extending Racer by a large Abox store," Proceedings of the 2005 International Workshop on Description Logics, pp.200-207, 2005.
- B. Motik and U. Sattler, "A Comparison of Reasoning Techniques for Querying Large Description Logic Aboxes," Proceedings of LPAR'06, pp.227-241, 2006.