- Volume 14 Issue 10
This study focuses on the news making system of the prime time news of PSB in Korean society, where the presence of ethnic minorities is increasing rapidly. Although the World Wide Web has become one of the most attractive media over the last decade, Korean PSB, Korean Broadcasting System (KBS), still remains the most popular and influential medium. Therefore, the process of analyzing news making system of ethnic minorities in Korean society represented in Korean PSB as a social construction is meaningful in that it provides an important key to understand the cultural and political background and characteristics of society. For this purpose, the article tries to understand news making process when producing news related to ethnic minorities in the Korean society such as migrant workers, married migrant women and mixed-heritage children of multicultural families by interview with ten reporters in KBS. As a result, most KBS reporters had stereotypes towards multiculturalism and migrants and news reports relating to ethnic minorities are usually produced routinely, using a set of rules that have become part of KBS culture.
Multicultural Society;Public Service Broadcasting;Migrants;News Making;Gatekeeping
- 삼성경제연구소, "다문화정책: 동화에서 융화로", CEO Information, 제853호, 2012.
- R. Robertson, Globalization: Social Theory and Global Culture, Sage, 1992.
- D. Held, A. McGrew, D. Goldblatt, and J. Perraton, Global Transformations, Polity Press, 1999.
- J. Curran, Media and Power, Routledge, 2002.
- J. Downing and C. Husband, Representing 'Race', Sage, 2005.
- S. Hall, "The Work of Representation," In S. Hall (ed.) Representation: Culture Representations and Signifying Practices, Sage, pp.13-64, 1997.
- A. Appadurai, Fear of Small Numbers, Duke University Press, 2006.
- T. van Dijk, "Discourse and the Denial of Racism," Discourse and Society, Vol.3, pp.87-118, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/0957926592003001005
- N. Fairclough, Discourse and Social Change, Polity Press, 1992.
- R. Wodak, R. Cillia, M, Reisigl, and K. Liebhart, The Discursive Construction of National Identity, Edinburgh University Press, 1999.
- P. Bourdieu, Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste, Harvard University Press, 1984.
- M. Sturken and L. Cartwright, Practices of Looking: An Introduction to Visual Culture, Oxford University Press, 2000.
- 이동후, "텔레비전이 재현하는 아시아", 방송문화연구, 제18권, 제1호, pp.9-35, 2006.
- 김명혜, "한국 텔레비전의 글로벌 로컬리티 재현", 언론과학연구, 제12권, 제2호, pp.113-144, 2012.
- P. Scannell, "Public Service Broadcasting: The History of a Concept," In T. Miller (ed.) Television: Critical Concepts in Media and Cultural Studies, Routledge, 1989.
- J. Curran, "Rethinking the Media as a Public Sphere," In P. Dahlgren and C. Sparks (eds.) Communication and Citizenship, Routledge, pp.27-57, 1991.
- N. Garnham, "Media and the Public Sphere," In P. Golding, G. Murdoch and P. Schlesinger (eds.) Communicating Politics, Leicester University Press, pp.37-53, 1986.
- M. Moore, Creating public value: Strategic management in government, Havard University Press, 1995.
- J. D'acci, "Television, Representation and Gender," In R. Allen and A. Hill (eds.) The Television Studies Reader, Routledge, pp.373-388, 2004.
- D. Gauntlett and A. Hill, TV Living, Routledge, 1999.
- Glasgow Media Group, More bad news, Routledge, 1980.
- P. Shoemaker and P. Vos, Gatekeeping Theory, Routledge, 2009.
- W. Gieber, Across the Deask: A Study of 16 Telegraph Editors, Journalism Quarterly, Fall, 1956.
- A. Bass, "Refining the "gatekeeper" concept: A UN radio case study," Journalism Quarterly, Vol.46, pp.69-72, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769906904600110
- J. Fiske and J. Hartley, Reading Television, Methuen, 1978.
- N. Denzin and Y. Lincoln, Collecting and Interpreting Qualitative Materials, Sage, 2003.
- E. Hobsbawm, "Mass Producing Tradition: Europe, 1870-1914," In E. Hobsbawm (ed.) The Invention of Tradition, Cambridge University Press, 1983.
- L. Bogart, "Television news as entertainment," In P. H. Tannenbaum (ed.) The Entertainment functions of television, Lawrence Erlbaum, pp.209-249, 1980.
- 통계청, 체류외국인통계, 2009.
- M. Foucault, Power/Knowledge: Selected Interviews and Other Writings 1972-1977, Pantheon Books, 1980.
- 임영호, "텔레비전 오락물에 나타난 내부 오리엔탈리즘과 지역 정체성 구성: <서세원의 좋은 세상 만들기>의 텍스트 분석", 한국언론학보, 제46권, 제2호, pp.576-605, 2002.
- 주재원, "Representation of Others in TV Contents: Focusing on the KBS News 9", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제8호, pp.40-49, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.08.040
- 설동훈, 외국인 노동자와 한국사회, 서울: 서울대학교 출판부, 1999.
- 한건수, "타자만들기: 한국사회와 이주노동자의 재현", 비교문화연구, 제9권, 제2호, pp.157-193, 2004.
- S. Barnett, Journalism, Democracy and the Public interest: rethinking media pluralism for the Digital Age, Oxford University Press, 2009.