- Volume 26 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Workplace Bullying in Korean Hospital Nurses
병원 간호사 간 약자 괴롭힘 경험의 영향요인
- Yun, Seonyoung (Department of Nursing, Dong-A University) ;
- Kang, Jiyeon (Department of Nursing, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2014.05.14
- Accepted : 2014.09.29
- Published : 2014.10.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify factors influencing workplace bullying among Korean hospital nurses. Methods: Subjects in this study included 178 hospital nurses who attended two nationwide nursing educational conferences in 2013. The data was collected using self-report questionnaires which were used to identify the subjects' characteristics, self-esteem, perception of nursing organizational culture, and workplace bullying experience. Results: The results showed that 19.1% of study subjects reported being victims of workplace bullying and mostly experienced person-related and work-related bullying. Multiple regression analysis was done to identify factors affecting workplace bullying. The perception of relation-oriented culture, task-oriented culture and self-esteem turned out to be variables that explained nurses' workplace bullying, and these factors accounted for 32.0% of the variance. Conclusion: The findings suggest that nurses experience more workplace bullying in task-oriented cultures. However, they experience less bullying and report higher self-esteem and awareness in relation-oriented cultures. Interventions focused on the characteristics of the organization need to be developed to prevent workplace bullying in hospital nurses.
Supported by : 동아대학교
- Ceravolo, D. J., Schwartz, D. G., Foltz-Ramos, K. M., & Castner, J. (2012). Strengthening communication to overcome lateral violence. Journal of Nursing Management, 20, 599-606. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2012.01402.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2012.01402.x
- Choi, S. E., Lee, S. S., & Kim, S. D. (2013). Relationships of workplace bullying to self-esteem and turnover intention among clinical nurses at small and medium-sized hospitals. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 22, 267-274. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.4.267 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.4.267
- Dumont, C., Meisinger, S., Whitacre, M. J., & Corbin, G. (2012). Horizontal violence survey report, Nursing, 2012, 44-49. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NURSE.0000408487.95400.92
- Egues, A. L., & Leinung, E. Z. (2013). The bully within and without: Strategies to address horizontal violence in nursing. Nursing Forum, 48, 185-190. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12028 https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12028
- Einarsen, S., Hoel, H., & Notelaers, G. (2009). Measuring exposure to bullying and harassment at work: Validity, factor structure and psychometric properties of the Negative Acts Questionnaire-Revised. Work & Stress, 23 (1), 24-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02678370902815673 https://doi.org/10.1080/02678370902815673
- Griffin, M. (2004). Teaching cognitive rehearsal as a shield for lateral violence: An intervention for newly licensed nurses. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 35, 257-262.
- Han, S. J. (2001). A study on the relationship between nursing organizational culture and organizational performance. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Hutchinson, M., Wilkes, L., Jackson, D., & Vickers, M. H. (2010). Integrating individual, work group and organizational factors: Testing a multidimensional model of bullying in the nursing workplace. Journal of Nursing Management, 18, 173-181. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01035.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01035.x
- Johnson, S. L., & Rea, R. E. (2009). Workplace bullying: Concerns for nurse leaders. Journal of Nursing Administration, 39, 84-90. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0b013e318195a5fc https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0b013e318195a5fc
- Kim, M. S., Han, S. J., & Kim, J. H. (2004). The development of the nursing organization culture measurement tool. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 10 , 175-184.
- Kim, Y. J. (2013). Field research on the nursing organizational culture in hospital setting. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, E. H., Chang, S. J., Kim, H. O., Roh, J. H., Park, E. J., & Won, J. U. (2007). Relationship between job stress and turnover of registered nurses in a university hospital. Korean Journal of Occupational Environment Medicine, 19, 93-104.
- Lee, Y. J., Lee, M. Y., & Bernstein, K. S. (2013). Effect of workplace bullying and job stress on turnover intention in hospital nurses. Journal of Academy Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 22, 77-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.2.77 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.2.77
- Lee, Y. O., Kang, J. Y., Yun, S. Y., Lee, Y. H., & Kim, B. J. (2013). A methodological triangulation study on the experience of horizontal violence in intensive care unit nurses. Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, 6 (2), 37-50.
- Losa Iglesias, M. E., & Becerro de Bengoa Vallejo, R. (2012). Prevalence of bullying at work and its association with selfesteem scores in a Spanish nurse sample. Contemporary Nurse, 42 (1), 2-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.5172/conu.2012.42.1.2 https://doi.org/10.5172/conu.2012.42.1.2
- Lutgen-Sandvik, P., Tracy, S. J., & Alberts, J. K. (2007). Burned by bullying in the American workplace: Prevalence, perception, degree and impact. Journal of Management Studies, 44, 837-862. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2007.00715.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2007.00715.x
- Matthiesen, S. B., & Einarsen, S. (2007). Perpetrators and targets of bullying at work: Role stress and individual differences. Violence and Victims, 22, 735-753. https://doi.org/10.1891/088667007782793174
- McKenna, B. G., Smith, N. A., Poole, S. J., & Coverdale, J. H. (2003). Horizontal violence: Experiences of registered nurses in their first year of practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 42 (1), 90-96. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02583.x
- Mikkelsen, E., & Einarsen, S. (2001). Bullying in Danish work-life: prevalence and health correlates. Europe Journal Work Organization Psychology, 10, 393-413. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13594320143000816 https://doi.org/10.1080/13594320143000816
- Nam, W., Kim, J. W., Kim, Y. K., Koo, J. W., & Park, C. Y. (2010). The Reliability and validity of the Negative Acts Questionnaire-Revised (NAQ-R) for nurses for the assessment of workplace bullying. Korean Journal Occupational Environment Medicine, 22, 129-139.
- Park, K. O., Kim, S. Y., & Kim, J. K. (2013). Hospital nurses' experience of bullying in the workplace and burnout, organizational commitment, turnover intention and nursing productivity. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 19, 169-180.
- Randle, J. (2003). Bullying in the nursing profession. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 43, 395-401. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02728.x
- Roberts, S. J. (1983). Oppressed group behavior: Implications for nursing. Advances in Nursing Science, 5 (4), 21-30.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Simons, S. (2008). Workplace bullying experienced by Massachusetts registered nurses and the relationship to intention to leave the organization. Advances in Nursing Science, 31 (2), E48-E59. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.ANS.0000319571.37373.d7 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ANS.0000319571.37373.d7
- The Joint Commission. (2008). Sentinel Event Alert: Behaviors that undermine a culture of safety. Retrieved June 10, 2014, from http://www.jointcommission.org/SentinelEventAlert
- Vogelpohl, D. A., Rice, S. K., Edwards, M. L., & Bork, C. E. (2012). New graduate nurses' perception of the workplace: Have they experienced bullying? Journal of Professional Nursing, 29, 414-422. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2012.10.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2012.10.008
- Walrafen, N., Brewer, M. K., & Mulvenon, C. (2012). Sadly caught up in the moment: An exploration of horizontal violence. Nursing Economics, 30 (1), 6-12.
- The Related Factors to Workplace Bullying in Nursing: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis vol.28, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.4.399
- A Grounded Theory Approach on Nurses' Experience with Workplace Bullying vol.46, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.2.226
- Relationships among Self-esteem, Social Support, Nursing Organizational Culture, Experience of Workplace Bullying, and Consequence of Workplace Bullying in Hospital Nurses vol.22, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.303
- Moderating effects of Professional Self-concept in Relationship between Workplace Bullying and Nursing Service Quality among Hospital Nurses vol.24, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.5.375