- Volume 33 Issue 5
Objective: The purpose of this study was to examine the various sizing systems and specified anthropometric data as well as the fit issues used today. Background: A standard sizing system for clothes is a system that is developed based on body shape and size classifications method. To develop an efficient sizing system, we have to classify the database from the majority of the samples. Method: The method of this paper deals with the secular trend of height spanning from 1997 to 2010 along with the morphological feature patterns for Koreans. It also investigates the comparison of the growth pattern between male and female and the body shape classification according to the drop values based on the anthropometric data samples of KATS taken from the 2010 surveys in order to develop and define the new guidelines for the size designation systems of clothes. Results: The results are classified with body size and shape categories according to the drop values by age and sex in order to develop the new guidelines for the size designation systems based on these body dimensions from the analyzed anthropometric database. Conclusion: These new guidelines for the size designation system will eliminate the confusion that currently exists among countries and individual apparel designers. Application: The adopted standards could be used to compare the sizing systems worldwide.
Standard;Anthropometry;Drop values;Clothing;Morphology;Sizing system;Growth
- ASTM D 6458, Standard tables of body measurements for boys, ASTM Standard, 2012.
- Ashizawa, K., Leg length increase in Japanese in the latter half of the 20th century, Anthropol. Sci., Vol. 110, 279-292, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1537/ase.110.279
- EN 13402-3, Measurements and intervals, EN Standard, 2009.
- ASTM D 5585, Standard tables of body measurements for adult female misses figure type, ASTM Standard, 2011.
- DIN, International size charts, Maier, 1998.
- Duke, P.M., et al., Adolescents' self-assessment of sexual maturation. Pediatrics, 66, pp. 918-20, 1980.
- Gleiss, A., et al., Austrian height and body proportion reference for children aged 4-to under19 years, Ann Hum Biol, 40(4), 324-332, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3109/03014460.2013.776110
- Greiner Thomas M. and Gordon, C.C., Secular trends of 22 body dimensions in four racial/cultural groups of American males, American Journal of Human Biology, 4, pp. 235-246, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.1310040208
- Gupta, D. and Gangadhar, P., A statistical model for developing body size charts for garments, International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, Vol. 16, pp. 458-469, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/09556220410555641
- Hans W Jurgens, et.al., International data on anthropometry, Geneva, 1990.
- ISO 3637, Size designation of clothes-women's and girls' outwear garments, ISO Standard, 1997.
- ISO 7250, Basic human body measurements for technological design, ISO, TC159, 1997.
- ISO 8559, Garment construction and anthropometric surveys, ISO, TC133, 1989.
- JIS L 4005, Sizing systems for women's garments, JIS Standard, 2001.
- KATS, The Report of the anthropometry survey, KATS Report, Korea, 1979.
- KATS, The Report of the anthropometry survey, KATS Report, Korea, 1997.
- KATS, The Report of the anthropometry survey, KATS Report, Korea, 2010.
- Kouchi, M. and Mochimaru, M., Quality assurance of anthropometric data, Japan, Report WEAR, 2005.
- KS K 0059, Sizing systems for women's garments, KS Standard, 2009.
- KS K 9402, Sizing systems for boys' garments, KS Standard, 2009.
- LEE, Y.S., Morphological study in Korean for the garments sizing system, Report of Korea National Institute of Technology and Quality, 1999.
- KS K 9403, Sizing systems for girls' garments, KS Standard, 2009.
- LEE, Y.S., A study on the anthropometric change of Korean women body shape, report of KATS, 2003.
- LEE, Y.S., Comparing samples from different countries for key sizing dimensions, 20th International Co Data Conference, pp. 65-68, 2006.
- LEE, Y.S., The Measure of Women, Human body demension data in design, Korea, Shinsunsa Publication, 1999.
- McMahon, T., Size and shape in biology, Science, 179, 23, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.179.4068.23
- NFG 03-002, Habillement measures feminines, AFNOR Standard, 1997.
- Tanner, J.M., Physical growth from conception to maturity, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard University Press, 1978.
- Tanner, J.M., White house, R.H. and Healy, M.J.R., A new system for estimating the maturity of the hand and wrist, with standards derived from 2,600 healthy British children, Paris, International Children's Center, 1962.