- Volume 38 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Crack-tip Stress Field of Fully Circumferential Surface Cracked Pipe Under Combined Tension and Thermal Loads
원주방향 부분 관통 균열이 존재하는 직관에 인장하중과 열하중의 복합하중이 가해지는 경우의 균열 선단 응력장
- Je, Jin Ho (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Kim, Dong Jun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Kim, Yun Jae (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.)
- Received : 2014.02.21
- Accepted : 2014.08.14
- Published : 2014.11.01
Under excessive plasticity, the fracture toughness of a material depends on its size and geometry. Under fully yielded conditions, the stresses in a material near its crack tip are not unique but rather depend on the geometry. Therefore, the single-parameter J-approach is limited to a high-constraint crack geometry. The JQ theory has been proposed for establishing the crack geometry constraints. This approach assumes that the crack-tip fields have two degrees of freedom. In this study, the crack-tip stress field of a fully circumferential surface-cracked pipe under combined loads is investigated on the basis of the JQ theory by using finite element analysis. The combined loads are a tensile axial force and the thermal gradient in the radial direction. Q-stresses of the crack geometry and its loading state are used to determine the constraint effects. The constraint effects of secondary loading are found to be greater than those of primary loading. Therefore, thermal shock is believed to be the most severe loading condition of constraint effects.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Irwin, G. R., 1961, "Plastic Zone Near a Crack and Fracture Toughness," Sagamore Research Conference Proceeding, Vol.4, pp. 63-78.
- Dugdale, D. S., 1960, "Yielding in Steel Sheets Containing Slits," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 8, pp.100-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(60)90013-2
- Barenblatt, G. I., 1962, "The Mathmatical Theory of Euilibrium Cracks in Brittle Fracture," Advance in Applied Mechanics, Vol. 7, pp. 55-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2156(08)70121-2
- Wells, A. A., 1961, "Unstable Crack Propagation in Metal: cleavage and Fracture," Proceedings of the Crack Propagation Symposium, Vol. 1, p. 84.
- Rice, J. R., 1968, "A Path Independent Integral and the Approximate Analysis of Strain Concentration by Notches and Cracks," Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 53, pp. 379-386.
- Huchinson, J. W., 1968, "singular Behavior at End of a Tensile Crack Tip in a Hardening Material," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 16, pp. 13-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(68)90014-8
- Rice, J. R. and Rosengren, G. F., 1968, "Plane Strain Deformation near a Crack Tip in a Power-Law Hardening Material," Journal of the mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 16, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(68)90013-6
- McClintock, F. A., 1971, "Plasticity Aspects of Fracture," Fracture: An Advanced Treatise, Vol. 3, pp. 47-225.
- Williams, M. L., 1957, "On the Stress Distribution at the Base of a Stationary Crack," Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 24, pp. 109-114.
- O'Dowd, N. P. and Shih, C. F., 1991, "Family of Crack-Tip Fields Characterized by a Triaxiality Parameter-I. Structure of Fields," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 39, pp. 898-1015.
- O'Dowd, N. P. and Shih, C. F., 1992, "Family of Crack-Tip Fields Characterized by a Triaxiality Parameter-II. Fracture Applications," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 40, pp.939-963. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(92)90057-9
- ABAQUS Version 6.13. User's Manual, 2013, Dassault Systems Simulia Corporation, USA.
- Kim, Y. J., Kim, J. S., Cho, S. M., Kim, Y. J., 2004, "3-D Constraint Effects on J Testing and Crack Tip Constraint in M(T), SE(B), SE(T) and C(T) Specimens: Numerical Study," Journal of Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 71, pp. 1203-1218. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(03)00211-X