- Volume 43 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Doenjang Made by Traditional Methods
전통적인 방법으로 제조된 된장 제품의 이화학적 및 관능적 특성에 대한 연구
- Byun, Myung-Woo (School of Culinary Nutrition, Woosong University) ;
- Nam, Tan-Gong (School of Culinary Nutrition, Woosong University) ;
- Chun, Myoung-Sook (Food and Nutrition Major Division of Food Science and Culinary Arts, Shinhan University) ;
- Lee, Gyu-Hee (Culinary Science Research Center, Woosong University)
- Received : 2014.06.24
- Accepted : 2014.09.16
- Published : 2014.10.31
To study traditional Doenjang characteristics, Doenjang was purchased from five different provinces: Chungcheong (CC), Gangwon (GW), Gyeonggi (GG), Gyeongsang (GS), and Jeolla (JL). To determine physicochemical characteristics, contents of reducing sugar, amino type nitrogen, salt, pH, and acidity were analyzed. The sensory characteristics were analyzed by sensory descriptive analysis. Reducing sugar content was highest for Doenjang from GW province. Amino type nitrogen content was highest for Doenjang from JL province. The salt content was highest in Doenjang from CC and GS provinces. After principal component analysis (PCA) based on sensory descriptive analysis, salty taste and aftertaste were highly correlated with overall acceptance. In the correlation analysis among chemical compounds and overall acceptance, Doenjang contained low reducing sugar content, and high pH value was positively correlated with overall acceptance. In conclusion, Doenjang with high pH value and salty taste and aftertaste have high overall acceptance.
- Kim MJ, Lee HS. 1990. Studies on the changes of taste compounds during soy paste fermentation. Korean J Soc Food Sci 6: 1-8.
- Lim SY, Rhee SH, Park KY. 2004. Inhibitory effect of methanol extract of doenjang on growth and DNA synthesis of human cancer cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 936-940. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.6.936
- Jeong MW, Jeong JK, Kim SJ, Park KY. 2013. Fermentation characteristics and increased functionality of doenjang prepared with bamboo salt. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1915-1923. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.12.1915
- Shon DH, Lee KA, Kim SH, Ahn CW, Nam HS, Lee HJ, Shin JI. 1996. Screening of antithrombotic peptides from soybean paste by the microplate method. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 684-688.
- Choi SY, Cheigh MJ, Lee JJ, Kim HJ, Hong SS, Chung GS, Lee BK. 1999. Growth suppression effect of traditional fermented soybean paste (doenjang) on the various tumor cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 458-463.
- Sohn HS, Lee YS, Shin HC, Chung HK. 2000. Recent research for physiological mechanism of soybean in preventing and treating chronic diseases. Korea Soybean Digest 17: 37-60.
- Kim YS, Rhee CH, Park HD. 2001. Isolation and characterization of a bacterium from Korean soy paste Doenjang producing inhibition of angiotensin converting enzyme. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 84-88.
- Lee JH, Kim MH, Lim SS. 1991. Antioxidative materials in domestic Meju and Doenjang. 1. Lipid oxidation and browning during fermentation of Meju and Doenjang. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 20: 148-155.
- Lee MJ, Kim HD, Park JW, Kim DS. 1992. Comparison of the antioxidant activity of melanoidin with commercial antioxidants and their synergistic effects. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 21: 686-692.
- Boo CS, Kim JH, Kim MC, Lim SB. 2010. A study on priorities calculation among the attributes and products of traditional soybean paste. Korean J Culinary Res 16: 322-329.
- Kum JS, Han O. 1997. Changes in physicochemical properties of kochujang and doenjang prepared with extrudated wheat flour during fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 601-605.
- National Agricultural Products Quality Management Service. 2012. Traditional Food Standards. National Agricultural Products Quality Management Service. Anyang, Korea. p 88-93.
- Kang JE, Choi HS, Choi HS, Park SY, Song J, Choi JH, Yeo SH, Jung ST. 2013. The quality characteristics of commercial doenjang certified for traditional foods. Korean J Community Living Sci 24: 537-542. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2013.24.4.537
- Chae SK, Kang GS, Ma SJ, Bang KY, Oh MH, Oh SH. 2000. Standard food analytics. Jigu Publishing Co, Seoul, Korea. p 460-463.
- Ju HK, Ro SK, Im MH. 1982. Studies on the fermentation of soy sauce by bacteria. Korean J Food Sci Technol 4: 276-284.
- Stone H, Sidel JL. 1993. Sensory evaluation. 2nd ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA. p 202-242.
- Meilgaard M, Civille GV, Carr BT. 1987. Sensory evaluation techniques. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. p 161-170.
- Kim HL, Lee TS, Noh BS, Park JS. 1998. Characteristics of samjangs prepared with different doenjangs as a main material. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 54-61.
- Shin DH, Kang GS, Lee JY, Jeong DY, Han GS. 2010. On chemical characteristics of sour Doenjang (fermented soybean paste). J Fd Hyg Safety 25: 360-366.
- Park JS, Lee MY, Lee TS. 1995. Compositions of sugars and fatty acids in soybean paste (Doenjang) prepared with different microbial sources. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 917-924.
- Lawless HT, Heymann H. 1998. Sensory evaluation of food (Principles and practices): Data relationships and multivariate applications. Aspen Publishers Inc., New York, NY, USA. p 738-753.
- Eretec Minitab Business Team. 2005. Regression analysis. Eretec Minitab Inc. Minitab 14, Minitab Inc., State College, PA, USA. p 399-431.
- Quality Characteristics of Modified Doenjang and Traditional Doenjang vol.45, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.7.1001
- Study on Women's Perception and Consumption of Korean Soybean Paste by Age : Focus on Daegu Region vol.26, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.8.26.4.334
- Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Doenjang Made with Various Concentrations of Salt Solution vol.44, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1525
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Doenjang Made from Lipoxygenase-Free Genotypes Soybeans vol.45, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.1.035
- (fermented soybean paste) in Korea pp.08878250, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/joss.12462
- Changes in the physicochemical characteristics of low-salt Doenjang by addition of halophytes vol.25, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.7.819