- Volume 9 Issue 6
Owing to the reduction in the peak power of a DC railway subsystem, many studies on energy storage system (ESS) applications have received attention. Each application focuses on improving the efficiency and addressing regulation issues by utilizing the huge regenerative energy generated by braking-phase vehicles. The ESS applications are widely divided into installation on a vehicle or in a substation, depending on the target system characteristics. As the main purpose of the ESS application is to reduce the peak power of starting-phase vehicles, an optimized ESS utilization can be achieved by the operating at the highest peak power section. However, the weight of an entire vehicle, including those of the passengers, continuously changes during operation; thus, considering the total power consumption and the discharging point is difficult. As a contribution to the various storage device algorithms, this study deals with ESS on board vehicles and introduces an ESS operating plan for peak-power reduction by investigating the weight of a train on a real-time basis. This process is performed using a train-performance simulator, and the simulation accuracy can be increased because the weight in each phase can be adopted in the simulation.
DC electric railway;Energy storage system;Regenerative energy;Braking power;Train performance
- R. J. Hill, Y. Cai, S. H. Case, and M. R. Irving, "Iterative techniques for the solution of complex DCrail traction systems including regenerative braking," IEE Proc. Generation, Transmission, and Distribution, Vol. 143, no. 6, pp. 613-615, Nov. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:19960602
- A. Adinolfi, R. Lamedica, C. Modesto, A. Prudenzi, and S. Vimercati, "Experimental assessment of energy saving due to trains regenerative braking in an electrified subway line," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1536-1542, Oct. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.714859
- Timothy M. Weis, and Adrian Ilinca, "The utility of energy storage to improve the economics of winddiesel power plants in Canada," Renewable Energy, Vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1544-1557, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2007.07.018
- C. Abbey, and G. Joos, "A stochastic optimization approach to rating of energy storage systems in winddiesel isolated grids," IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 418-426, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.2004840
- F. Barbir, T. Molter, and L. Dalton, "Regenerative fuel cells for energy storage: efficiency and weight trade-offs," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 35-40, Mar. 2005.
- S. Samineni, B. K. Johnson, H. L. Hess, and J. D. Law, "Modeling and analysis of a flywheel energy ztorage system for voltage sag correction," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 42-52, Jan.-Feb. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.861366
- M. Steiner, M. Klohr, and S. Pagiela, "Energy storage system with ultracaps on board of railway vehicles," in Proceedings of 2007 European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Alaborg, Denmark, Sep. 2007.
- D. Iannuzzi, and P. Tricoli, "Speed-based state-ofcharge tracking control for metro trains with onboard supercapacitors," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2129-2140, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2167633
- Y. Diab, P. Venet, H. Gualous, and G. Rojat, "Selfdischarge characterization and modeling of electrochemical capacitor used for power electronics applications," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 510-517, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2007116
- Hansang Lee, Seungmin Jung, Yoonsung Cho, Donghee Yoon, and Gilsoo Jang, "Peak Power Reduction and Energy Efficiency Improvement with the Superconducting Flywheel Energy Storage in Electric Railway System," Physica C - Superconductivity and its applications, Vol. 494, pp. 246-249, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physc.2013.04.033
- V. Gelman, "Braking energy recuperation," IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, Vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 82- 89, Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/MVT.2009.933480
- Diego Iannuzzi, Flavio Ciccarelli, and Davide Lauria, "Stationary ultracapacitors storage device for improving energy saving and voltage profile of light transportation networks," Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, Vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 321-337, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2011.11.002
- Seungmin Jung, Hansang Lee, Kisuk Kim, Hosung Jung, Hyungchul Kim, and Gilsoo Jang, "A Study on Peak Power Reduction using Regenerative Energy in Railway Systems through DC Subsystem Interconnection," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1070-1077, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1070
- P. Martin, "Train performance and simulation," in Proceedings of 1999 Winter Simulation Conference, Phoenix, U.S.A, Dec. 1999.
- Bih-Yuan Ku, and Jen-Sen, Liu, "Solution of DC power flow for non-grounded traction systems using chain-rule reduction of ladder circuit Jacobian matrices," in Proceedings of 2002 ASME/IEEE Joint Railroad Conference, Washington D.C., U.S.A, Apr. 2002.
- Hansang Lee, Hanmin Lee, Changmu Lee, Gilsoo Jang, and Gildong Kim, "Energy storage application strategy on DC electric railroad system using a novel railroad analysis algorithm," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 228- 238, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.2.228
- Adaptive Curtailment Plan with Energy Storage for AC/DC Combined Distribution Systems vol.8, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.1795
- Optimal energy saving in DC railway system with on-board energy storage system by using peak demand cutting strategy vol.25, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.1795
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)