- Volume 9 Issue 6
This paper shows the design and control methods of the bidirectional DC-DC converter to generate the proper DC-link voltage of a PMSM drive. Conventionally, because the controllable power of the PWM based voltage source inverter is limited by its DC-link voltage, the DC-DC converter is used for boosted DC-link voltage if the inverter source cannot generate enough operating voltage for the PMSM drive. In this paper, to obtain more utilization of this DC-DC converter, optimal DC-link voltage control for PMSM drive will be explained. First, the process and current path of the DC-DC converter will be illustrated, and a control method of this converter for variable DC-link voltage will then be explained. Finally, an improvement analysis of the optimal DC-link voltage control method, especially on the deadtime effect, will be explained. The DC-DC converter of the proposed control method is verified by the experiments by comparing with the conventional constant voltage control method.
PMSM drive;Optimally controlled DC-link voltage;Bidirectional DC-DC converter
- F. Caricchi, F. Serra, G. Tani, L. Solero, "Study of bidirectional buck-boost converter topologies for application in electrical vehicle motor drive,"IEEE APEC 1998, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 287-293, Feb, 1998.
- Estima, J.O., Marques Cardoso, A.J., "Efficiency Analysis of Drive Train Topologies Applied to Electric/ Hybrid Vehicles", IEEE Trans. on Vehi. Tech., vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 1021-1031, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2186993
- R. M. Schupbach, J. C. Balda, "Comparing DC-DC Converters for Power Management in Hybrid Electric Vehicles," IEEE IEMDC 2003, pp. 1369-1374, Jun. 2003.
- Jian Cao, Ali Emadi, "A New Battery/UltraCapacitor Hybrid Energy Storage System for Electric, Hybrid, and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles", IEEE Trans. on Pow. Elec., vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 122-132,JAN. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2151206
- Abculmotin Howlader, Naomitsu Urasaki, Tomonobu Senjyu, Atsushi Yona, and Ahmed Yousuf Svber. "Optimal PAM Control for a Buck Boost DC-DC Converter with a Wide-Speed-Range of Operatrion for a PMSM" Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 491-497, 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.491
- F.Blaabjerg, J.K.Person, P. Thoegersen, "Improved modulation techniques for PWM-VSI for PMSM" IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 1, pp. 87-95, 1997.
- Seon-Hwan Hwang; Jang-MokKim, "Dead Time Compensation Method for Voltage-Fed PWM Inverter" IEEE Trans. Ener. Conv., vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1-10, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2031811
- J. -W. Choi and S.-K. Sul "Inverter output voltage synthesis using novel dead time compensation", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 221- 227, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.486169
- S. -G. Jeong and M.-H. Park "The analysis and compensation of dead-time effects in PWM inverters", IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 38, no. 2, pp.108-114 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.88903
- T. Sukegawa, K. Mizuno, T. Matsui and T. Okuyama "Fully digital, vector controlled PWM VSI-fed ac drives with an inverter dead-time compensation strategy", IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 552 -559 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.81841
- N. Mohan, "Power Electronics", John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2003.
- 1. State-of-Charge Balancing Control of a Battery Power Module for a Modularized Battery for Electric Vehicle vol.11, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.1944
- 2. Performance Evaluation of GaN-Based Synchronous Boost Converter under Various Output Voltage, Load Current, and Switching Frequency Operations vol.15, pp.6, 2015, doi:10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.1944
- 3. Bidirectional Power Conversion of Isolated Switched-Capacitor Topology for Photovoltaic Differential Power Processors vol.16, pp.5, 2016, doi:10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.1944