- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Economic Analysis on Transshipment and the Gauge-Adjustable System for Trans-Continental Container Transportation
대륙연계 컨테이너 수송을 위한 환적방식과 궤간가변방식의 경제성 비교
- Chung, Kwang Woo (Department of Railroad Operation System Engineering, Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2014.08.20
- Accepted : 2014.09.18
- Published : 2014.10.31
With a view to the commercialization of the Korean automatic variable-gauge bogie in the Eurasia railway system, the aim of this research was to perform an economic analysis concerning the possible introduction and operation of this bogie at the present time. For this purpose, we compared the possible types of freight connection service for container transportation, transshipment and the gauge-adjustable system, estimating the total life-cycle cost (LCC) incurred by each system, depending on type and quantity, over the whole process of acquisition, operation, maintenance and disposal. Based on this, we presented a case-by case analysis. Furthermore, in estimating economic feasibility, we analyzed the cost-benefit ratio taking into account not only the objective LCC, but also the reduced time required for the gauge-change and customer convenience. After estimating the LCC and analyzing the cost-benefit ratio of the respective systems, we demonstrated the economic superiority of view of the gauge adjustable system.
Supported by : 한국교통대학교
- S.H. Jang (2008) Technical Development of Variable Gauge Device, KRRI Report.
- F. Ardiaca, V. Kinderis (2008) Interoperability Unit : Feasibility study for the EU 1520/1524 rail system interoperability, European Railway Agency.
- H. Jurgen Geissle (2009) Results of Feasibility Study : Automatic Gauge Changeover Systems, UIC Seminar, Russia Sochi.
- M. Kanclerz (2007) Study on European Automatic Track Gauge Changeover Systems (ATGCS), Second International Seminar 1435/1520, UIC.
- Y.S. Ham, J.N. Yoon (2003) International Development Direction of Variable Gauge Vehicles, Proc. of Korean Society for Railway, pp. 418-423.
- H.S. Na et al. (2004) A Comparative Study of the Technical Characteristics of Variable-Gauge Systems, Proc. of Korean Society for Railway, pp. 63-69.
- M. Szkoda, A. Tulecki (2008) Decision Model in Effectiveness of Europe-Asia Transportation Systems, WCRR, Seoul, Korea.
- A. Tuecki (1996) Technical - organizational problems of gauge changes in the 1520/1435 European transport corridors East- West, Scientific Conference : The use of European transport corridors, Kielce-Cedzyna.
- M. Szkoda (1995) Analysis of organizational and economic options for transportation of petroleum products on the railways with different gauge, Working group IPSz PK Poland.
- K.W. Chung, C.S. Kim, S.H. Jang (2012) Technical Evaluation of Railway Transportation System with the Change of Gauge, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 13(5), pp. 1954-1962. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.1954
- K.W. Chung, J.Y. An, C.S Kim, H.S. Na (2012) Effectiveness Evaluation of the Bogie Exchange and the Automatic Variable Gauge System Using LCC Analysis, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 15(4), pp. 334-342. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2012.15.4.334