- Volume 47 Issue 5
In this paper, in order to achieve slim and light liquid crystal display, we examine the optical conditions that can obtain uniform light with higher optical efficiency over whole light guide plate (LGP) through simulation. Furthermore, to overcome the issues of hot spot in front of red, green, and blue light emitting diodes (RGB LEDs) source and non-uniform color mixing, we propose four shaped color mixing bars tied up with the LGP and check the optical characteristics of the LGP with them by simulation. Consequently, we could know the optical conditions of improving optical efficiency and optical uniformity in the LGP through the optical design. Also we confirmed that the issues of the hot spot and non-uniform color mixing in edge type LED could be solved by using the
Backlight;Light guide plate;Liquid crystal display;Color mixing
- D. Demus, Molecular crystals and liquid crystals, 165(1988) 45.
- I. M. Wilson, IEEE, 21(1975) 32.
- D. M. Mcgergor, IEEE, 33(1986) 1098.
- K. W. Kim, N. W. Kim and D. J. Kang, IEEE, 44(1998) 442.
- A. Horibe, M. Baba, E. Nihei and Y. Koike, SID'98, Direst, (1998)153.
- K. R. Welford, F. Miners and J. R. Sambles, Appl. Phys., 21(1988) 1320.
- G. Harbers, W. Timmers and W. S. Smitt, Proc.2nd InternationaldisplaymanufacturingCof, (2002) 181.
- H. P. Muruska and J. J. Tietjen, Appl. Phys. Lett., 15(1969) 327. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1652845
- H. Y. Fan, Rep. Prog. Phys., 19(1956) 107. https://doi.org/10.1088/0034-4885/19/1/304
- P. D. Fochs, Proc. Phys. Soc., 69(1956) 70.
- H. Chen, J. Sung, T. Ha, Y. J. Park and C. W. Hong, Proc. ASID'06, (2006) 168.
- D. M. Teo, Y. H. Kwon and T. S. Jamg, ASIA display 08' Digest, (2008) 1156.
- J. H. Ko, Asian J. Phys. 14(2005) 231.
- J. Park and S. Lim, IMID 06' Tech. Digest, (2006) 1330.
- Optical Research Associates, (2006).
- Z. D. Popovic, R. A. Sprague, and G. A. Neville Connel, Appl. Opt., 27(1988) 1281. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.27.001281
- F. T. O'Neill and J. T. Sheridan, Optic. 113(2002) 391.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국산업기술진흥원